What's new

You is Two (Split brain patients)

truthfollower

BANNED
Mar 8, 2019
Country
Pakistan
Your Brain is Two Brains.
"Split brain patients show at the very least that in the mind, there is a separate something that can hear and understand and respond, given the right circumstances. Your brain isn’t entirely yours. Who is you? You is Two."

Do you really think you are in control?
In June 1979, in a procedure that lasted nearly 10 hours, doctors created a firebreak to contain Vicki's seizures by slicing through her corpus callosum, the bundle of neuronal fibres connecting the two sides of her brain. This drastic procedure, called a corpus callosotomy, disconnects the two sides of the neocortex, the home of language, conscious thought and movement control. Vicki's supermarket predicament was the consequence of a brain that behaved in some ways as if it were two separate minds.
https://www.nature.com/news/the-split-brain-a-tale-of-two-halves-1.10213
History
In the 1950s, research on people with certain brain injuries made it possible to suspect that the "language center" in the brain was commonly located in the left hemisphere. One had observed that people with lesions in two specific areas on the left hemisphere lost their ability to talk, for example. Roger Sperry and his colleague pioneered research. In his early work on animal subjects, Sperry made many noteworthy discoveries. The results of these studies over the next thirty years later led to Roger Sperry being awarded the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine in 1981.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split-brain

jaibi

SENIOR MODERATOR
Nov 15, 2012
Country
Pakistan
PDF audience is a focused lot, I suppose. I think it's fascinating that the brain is two and even more so that there are layers to brain functioning. It's a devestatingly beautiful organ.
not even a single comment?
@jaibi
What your thoughts about this thing it was new for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom