• Saturday, December 14, 2019

Why #Welcometocanada was trending on Twitter

Discussion in 'World Affairs' started by kahonapyarhai, Jan 29, 2017.

1. kahonapyarhai

kahonapyarhai SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5 / 7,216 / -13
    India
    Why #Welcometocanada was trending on Twitter
    Shailaja Neelakantan| Updated: Jan 29, 2017, 12.46 PM IST
    [​IMG]Justin Trudeau
    NEW DELHI: Even as chaos and confusion reigned in airports around the US as Muslim immigrants were detained following Donald Trump's Friday order, a curious hashtag started trending on Twitter - #WelcometoCanada.

That was because Canadian Prime Minister and all-around nice guy Justin Trudeau very opportunely tweeted:

To those fleeing persecution, terror & war, Canadians will welcome you, regardless of your faith. Diversity is our strength #WelcomeToCanada

— Justin Trudeau (@JustinTrudeau) January 28, 2017

Not just that, Trudeau also posted a photograph that was in such marked contrast to the emotions on display in US President Donald Trump's tweets and speeches. Trump's message was clearly 'We don't want you', while Trudeau's photo - from 2015, according to Reuters - showed him smiling and on his knees as he welcomed a refugee child.

#BienvenueAuCanada pic.twitter.com/rUhrIXiFcR

— Justin Trudeau (@JustinTrudeau) January 28, 2017

As Canadian Parliamentarian Raj Grewal tweeted, he's "proud to be Canadian."

Proud Sikh and Proud CDN, very proud that I live in a country that doesn't make me chose between the two #WelcometoCanada #cdnpoli

— Raj Grewal (@RajLiberal) January 29, 2017

Grewal is a son of immigrants from India.

I, the son of immigrants was able to achieve the Canadian Dream because of great Canadian leadership past and present #WelcomeToCanadahttps://t.co/gSpCXOXapu

— Raj Grewal (@RajLiberal) January 28, 2017

Canada's tourism minister Ricardo Miranda was also once a refugee.

I came to Alberta, Canada as a Refugee & was welcomed & cared for, I became a Citizen & I am now a Cabinet Minister #WelcomeToCanada #ableghttps://t.co/Za0sFj1o3W

— Ricardo Miranda (@_RicardoYYC) January 29, 2017

Another lawmaker, Jagmeet Singh, a member of provincial parliament said he found Trump's ban on Muslim refugees and immigrants "disgusting".

Banning those who are facing persecution is disgusting. Diversity is our strength & together we will oppose this bigotry. #WelcomeToCanada

— Jagmeet Singh (@theJagmeetSingh) January 28, 2017

Canada gave her a chance to live, said this woman:

Canada saved my dad from war in 1995 & gave me a chance to live in an education based war free country; come be blessed???????? #WelcometoCanada

— erma (@ema_kralik) January 29, 2017

She called herself a "daughter of Canada":

I am a daughter of Canada, a daughter of immigrants, and a proud citizen of a country whose diversity is its strength. #WelcometoCanadapic.twitter.com/MlXt24ba1x

— Teri Litorco (@thatterigirl) January 29, 2017

And this Canadian immigration attorney stepped up and offered his services for free.

For next 90 days we'll be offering free immigration law consults to anyone affected by U.S. ban who wants to come to Canada #WelcomeToCanada

— Gordon S. Campbell (@gscLawFirm) January 29, 2017

Jane Philpott, Canada's minister of health recalled welcoming the first plane of Syrian refugees.

Just over a year ago I had the honour of welcoming the first plane full of refugees from Syria. #WelcomeToCanada , diversity is our strength.pic.twitter.com/3Paszu984a

— Jane Philpott (@janephilpott) January 28, 2017

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-trending-on-twitter/articleshow/56849483.cms

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. PaklovesTurkiye

PaklovesTurkiye SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +8 / 12,656 / -1
    Pakistan
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  3. That Guy

That Guy PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST

Ratings:
    +33 / 12,012 / -1
    Pakistan
    I don't know about being more composed and mature, but there is a difference in mannerisms. Canadians tend to be more personal and the Americans tend to be more business oriented

• Thanks Thanks x 1