• Monday, June 17, 2019

WHEN THE VICTORIA CROSS WINNER HAD TO CROSS THE ROAD

Discussion in 'Indian Defence Forum' started by OrionHunter, Jul 2, 2015.

1. OrionHunter

OrionHunter ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +15 / 23,073 / -19
    India
    Hi guys!

Here's an incredible incident that I thought I'd share with you that I read in the book, “Toward Resurgent India" written by Lt Gen( Retired ) M M Lakhera, that shows how the Britishers respect war heroes.....

Excerpt:

I had gone to UK as Dy Leader of the Indian Delegation to take part in the 50th Anniversary Celebrations of victory in Europe during Second World War. I along with four other army officers had just stepped out after attending the inaugural session and were waiting on the roadside for the traffic to ease so as to walk across the road to the vehicle park.

Among those with me was Honorary Captain Umrao Singh, a Victoria Cross Winner.

We were all in our ceremonial Indian Army uniforms. All of a sudden a car moving on the road came to a screeching halt in front of us and a well dressed gentleman stepped out. He approached Umrao Singh and said, “Sir, may I have the privilege to shake hands with the Victoria Cross winner?” He shook hands with him. Evidently he had spotted Umraio Singh’s medals from the car and had stopped his car to pay his respect to a winner of highest gallantry medal of his country.

Then he looked at me and said, “General, you are from the Indian army.” When I replied in affirmative, he gave out his name saying that he was Michael Haseltine.

I was absolutely astounded as the recognition dawned on me that he was the Dy Prime Minister of UK . I was totally overawed by the courtesy shown by a dignitary of second highest status in the British Government and humbly thanked him for having invited our delegation to the VE day function.

Again his reply was typical of his sagacity, “Sir, it is We, the British who should be grateful to your Country and to your Armed Forces, who had helped us win both the first and second world wars. How can we ever be so ungrateful to forget your country’s great contribution?"

Suddenly I became conscious that all the traffic behind his car had come to a standstill. I hurried to thank him and politely requested to move along to relieve the traffic hold-up, although there was no honking !

He stated, “Sir, how dare I drive off when the Victoria Cross has to cross the road. I shall hold the traffic.” Respecting his earnest feeling, I and my colleagues quickly crossed the road. Reaching the other side I looked back and saw that Mr. Heseltine was still standing for the Victoria Cross to be safely across. He and the traffic moved on only after we waved them off with a salute.

End of excerpt

Untitled-1.jpg
    Late Sub Major and Hon
    Capt Umrao Singh, VC

That is the type of regard they have for their decorated soldiers. Most of the civilized countries do.

I have always aspired that similar respect be shown to our military heroes - at least Ashok Chakra and Param Vir Chakra winners - by the leaders and citizens of our country. But.....

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  2. third eye

third eye ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +25 / 24,169 / -10
    India
  3. uparyupari

uparyupari BANNED

Ratings:
    +0 / 1,240 / -1
    India
    Are you attempting to say we are not a civilized country ? Have some shame when you are trying to make snide comments by hiding behind a Victoria cross winner.

When you cannot even show the basic courtesy to your Nation, what moral right do you have to make such a comment ? Amazing hypocrisy.

4. OrionHunter

OrionHunter ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +15 / 23,073 / -19
    India
    What are you blabbering about? It seems you cannot comprehend the English language. Where did I say that I don't respect my country? Did I say India is not a civilized country? We are a civilized country but don't respect our soldiers and their sacrifices like most other civilized countries do.

You need to get your head examined. Don't try and prove your sham patriotism here. It doesn't cut any ice.

5. uparyupari

uparyupari BANNED

Ratings:
    +0 / 1,240 / -1
    India
    You are too chicken $hit to say it, it was implied. :tdown:

6. The_Sidewinder

The_Sidewinder SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0 / 2,519 / -7
    India
    Respect to our armed forces personnal. [HASHTAG]#Salute[/HASHTAG]