What's new

We shouldnt accept Turkey as full member;German finance minister

Safriz

BANNED
Aug 30, 2010
Country
Pakistan
German Finance Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble made a statement not often heard from high-up Europeans concerning
Turkey’s bid to join the European Union:
“We should not accept Turkey as a full
member … Turkey is not part of Europe.” Is
he right? Geographically, no. As commonly
understood, Europe ends at the Bosporus
and, thus defined, the Republic of Turkey
clearly includes European territory. But by
that standard, had history turned out a bit differently, Morocco rather than Great Britain could have held Gibraltar
these past centuries; would that make Morocco part of Europe? I think
not. Likewise, Eastern Thrace (Doğu Trakya in Turkish) being part of
Turkey does not make Turkey part of Europe. Conversely, because Great Britain, Ireland, and Iceland are islands in the
Atlantic Ocean does not prevent them from being part of Europe (despite
the memorable British newspaper headline from the 1940s, “Fog in Channel: Continent cut off”). In other words, what counts is civilization, not waterways. Morocco
and Turkey are both for many centuries part of Dar al-Islam, the Muslim
world, Islamdom, call it what you will. Atatürk’s reforms, to be sure,
made Turkey appear more European and less Islamic but they did not
change the essence of the country’s culture, as has been increasingly
evident during the past decade. So, Schaeuble is right where it counts: Turkey is not part of Europe and
should not become a full member of the European Union. This article was originally published by National Review Online.

http://www.algemeiner.com/2013/07/07/in-terms-of-civilization-turkey-is-not-part-of-europe/

flamer84

BANNED
Mar 6, 2013
Country
Romania
If they think they shouldn't let Turkey in based solely on the fact that they don't think it's in Europe(which is wrong) why the hell didn't they said so in the beginning,they wasted money and everybody's time.

I see that he said "in terms of civilisation" ,maybe he was refering to the the fact that turkish secularism is under siege by Erdogan?

Update,i've read the article:

"In other words, what counts is civilization, not waterways. Morocco and Turkey are both for many centuries part of Dar al-Islam, the Muslim world, Islamdom, call it what you will. Atatürk’s reforms, to be sure, made Turkey appear more European and less Islamic but they did not change the essence of the country’s culture, as has been increasingly evident during the past decade."-

As i've expected,Erdogan's idiotical ambitions made some europeans see Turkey as a islamic third world nation which clearly it isn't.

VelocuR

Jun 4, 2009
Country
Pakistan
It is disappointing but I support German's decision.

Turkey doesn't fit on European vision or North American or Russian or Middle Eastern-Saudi Arabia camp.

Luffy 500

Jan 2, 2012
Is turkey still looking toward joining EU? Many say they are not as enthusiastic as they used to be. I think they are better off without EU as by 2050 they can economically dwarf UK, France,Italy and may even become equal hedge against germany.

I see that he said "in terms of civilisation" ,maybe he was refering to the the fact that turkish secularism is under siege by Erdogan?

Update,i've read the article:

"In other words, what counts is civilization, not waterways. Morocco and Turkey are both for many centuries part of Dar al-Islam, the Muslim world, Islamdom, call it what you will. Atatürk’s reforms, to be sure, made Turkey appear more European and less Islamic but they did not change the essence of the country’s culture, as has been increasingly evident during the past decade."-

As i've expected,Erdogan's idiotical ambitions made some europeans see Turkey as a islamic third world nation which clearly it isn't.
SO turks should become athiest, christians to get accommodated to first world christian union that now even struggles to feed its own people properly. This first world seem to be the animalistic society where bigotry gets the better of its inhabitants.

AUSTERLITZ

Jun 10, 2008
Country
India
It was never going to happen,do u think france and germany will hand over their hegemony to turkey for free?Turkey should be pragmatic and instead look for EU trade/economic benefits similar to full member and leave aside the political power/voting right part.Also erdogan's antics didn't help and seriously eroded turkey feel good image worldwide.

-SINAN-

BANNED
Feb 22, 2013
Country
Turkey
Is turkey still looking toward joining EU? Many say they are not as enthusiastic as they used to be. I think they are better off without EU as by 2050 they can economically dwarf UK, France,Italy and may even become equal hedge against germany.
Most of the Turk's don't want to join EU. At the past when a EU official visited Turkey, That visit used appear on the Headlines of the mainstream media. Now they don't even mention such visits. When a news appear on the news websites all comments are negative.

Let's be realistic joining the EU will be beneficial to Turkey. Financial aid, free trade etc.. That will boost the Turkey's economy.

Turkey's GDP target for 2023 to have $2.5 trillion economy.

It was never going to happen,do u think france and germany will hand over their hegemony to turkey for free?Turkey should be pragmatic and instead look for EU trade/economic benefits similar to full member and leave aside the political power/voting right part.Also erdogan's antics didn't help and seriously eroded turkey feel good image worldwide.
I don't know about feel good image but Turkey's growing economy and diplomatic initiatives have led to its recognition as a regional power.

Armstrong

RETIRED TTA
Feb 2, 2012
Country
Pakistan
Of course you shouldn't accept Turkey as a full member - They're not in the financial sh*t that you're in ! :lol:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)