Vision 2041: A recipe for a developed country

Bilal9

ELITE MEMBER
Feb 4, 2014
Country
Bangladesh
communism is the key to rapid success .
I know you're trolling.

But if your joke was true, then Kolkata would be the most developed city in India by now. It is not.
Guys,

While AL could have done more to clean up Dhaka in the last 12 years, things are really starting this happen now and the situation should be much better in 10-15 years.

The Metro system currently being built will help to reduce traffic congestion by giving people better alternatives to buses and rickshaws.
Also the mooted plans to build that high speed rail link to Chittagong will provide an extra impetus and will probably allow “commuter towns” to grow outside Dhaka and thereby also reducing the overcrowding in Dhaka.

It will take maybe a generation but Dhaka will one day become a clean city that is properly planned and a nice place to live and work in.
Yeah in spite of my complaints I do realize tide is turning.

However tide is also turning for other countries, and moreover theirs are turning faster. They have educated able leaders who have vision, for one thing. And the smarts to pull off that vision.

My main point was that we have to get rid of the uneducated incompetent management that we have under AL. That's all. These incompetent people (ministers) will hobble our every effort to catch up with other countries.

Last edited:

Bilal9

ELITE MEMBER
Feb 4, 2014
Country
Bangladesh
Guys,

While AL could have done more to clean up Dhaka in the last 12 years, things are really starting this happen now and the situation should be much better in 10-15 years.

The Metro system currently being built will help to reduce traffic congestion by giving people better alternatives to buses and rickshaws.
Also the mooted plans to build that high speed rail link to Chittagong will provide an extra impetus and will probably allow “commuter towns” to grow outside Dhaka and thereby also reducing the overcrowding in Dhaka.

It will take maybe a generation but Dhaka will one day become a clean city that is properly planned and a nice place to live and work in.

However tide is also turning for other countries, and moreover theirs are turning faster. They have educated able leaders who have vision, for one thing. And the smarts to pull off that vision.

My main point was that we have to get rid of the uneducated incompetent management that we have under AL. That's all. These incompetent people (ministers) will hobble our every effort to catch up with other countries.

BTW I did visit the project 2041 page and the video of this 2041 propaganda mission.

Was not overly impressed. Long on hype, short on substance.

UKBengali

ELITE MEMBER
May 29, 2011
Country
Bangladesh

BTW I did visit the project 2041 page and the video of this 2041 propaganda mission.

Was not overly impressed. Long on hype, short on substance.

Problem you are comparing BD wth East Asian countries like Vietnam that have a different cultural midset.

Compare with S Asian countries and it is doing fine.

It will get better slowly at first and then quicker later on as the most of the ingredients all fall into place.

Dhaka and BD will be just fine in the end but it will need a good 2-3 decades more to complete the transformatioin - BAL is the best for a country like BD at this time and they of course have their bad side, along with the good.

Bilal9

ELITE MEMBER
Feb 4, 2014
Country
Bangladesh
To start with, they can infuse lot of entrepreneur monies into the economy by actually giving to the people the 15 lakhs per citizen / family that they half-heartedly promised in their 2014 election campaign.

They said that there is so much Indian black money stashed abroad that if brought to India every citizen ( or was it family ? ) can have 15 lakhs each.

Just think how many people will be able to start a business of their own at medium scale and many of these businesses can do export and increase the annual earnings of the country.
That is a lofty wish - "wishing upon a star".

I am sure Modi and his cohorts will pocket the money under some lame excuse and let the fly-by-night industrialists keep most of the stolen loan-money overseas in Swiss banks.

Remember this guy? Son of a Brahmin industrialist. Fled India after cheating Billions from the Indian taxpayer, probably made an under the table deal with Indian leaders to avoid extradition and trial in India... all good now, enjoying comfortable retirement...same story in Bangladesh too, lately....

bluesky

ELITE MEMBER
Jun 14, 2016
Country
Bangladesh
Hopefully, it will happen so during the next 15 years if the two Mayors are serious. But, do not forget the issue of waterlogging in Dhaka city.

bluesky

ELITE MEMBER
Jun 14, 2016
Country
Bangladesh
Have you ever seen a city without a bus system available for the citizens to use. Here, we see all short-distance buses start at one railway station and go to another station via a route.

There are several routes and a bus starts from one station to go to another by taking a specific route, and another with a different Bus No. runs similarly but in a different route. This is how much of the local areas are covered by several routes.

The Bus system should be improved from the present haphazard non-system, but rickshaws should be banned when people can afford to purchase their own auto-bikes.
Again, you are talking about a Bullet train with a $16 billion tag as if it is fun. Why do not you ask Hasina Bibi to build double tracks in Dhaka-Ctg. rout and enlarge the number of trains for commuting. This is what is done in every country. Is England any different or you do not have the keen eyes to see and understand the good system there?

For commuting do you think a Bullet train can do the job? I do not think all people who would be commuting live along this route. BD should think of medium distance several normal rail routes, such as from a few Dhaka points to Munshigonj, to Kumilla, to Narsingdi, to Tangail, to Nawabganj, to Aricha, etc. This is how you can make wide coverage of the land and population.

Learn from England and talk to Hasina Bibi instead of spreading hypocrisy. People who live in BD do not know anything about any good communications system and people who live in the USA have no knowledge either, because they move by cars only except in NY city.

Last edited:

Homo Sapiens

ELITE MEMBER
Feb 3, 2015
Country
Bangladesh
Hopefully, it will happen so during the next 15 years if the two Mayors are serious. But, do not forget the issue of waterlogging in Dhaka city.
Waterlogging in Dhaka will reduce after full restoration of 26 canal within it. For the last few months there is a massive drive from two city corporation to demolish the illegal structures built by filling those canals. They are not even sparing the influential Awami Leader's illegal buildings built on those canals. Some canal already cleared off illegal structures, widened, garbage removed and boundary pillar erected to prevent recapture. Govt. plan to use those canal as arteries to drain the rain water as well to provide urban open space by constructing walkway, bicycle lane along the banks of those canal.

Last edited:

bluesky

ELITE MEMBER
Jun 14, 2016
Country
Bangladesh
Waterlogging in Dhaka will reduce after full restoration of 26 canal within it. For the last few months there is a massive drive from two city corporation to demolish the illegal structures built by filling those canals. They are not even sparing the influential Awami Leader's illegal buildings built on those canals. Some canal already cleared off illegal structures, widened, garbage removed and boundary pillar erected to prevent recapture. Govt. plan to use those canal as arteries to drain the rain water as well to provide urban open space by constructing walkway, bicycle lane along the banks of those canal.
Thanks for uploading the video clips. It was worth watching that the Dhaka Mayors are doing a good job of reclaiming the illegally occupied Dhaka canals. I have read about it before and happy to see it in the videos.

I hope the reclamation will cause the waterlogging issue to be resolved. But, please note the following points:

1) Waterlogging is caused by the concrete/asphalt paving of the roads and the construction of many buildings. Both of these are unable to absorb rainwater.

2) But, an open area without structure can absorb water. It is because the rainwater percolates through the soil particles to reach the underground water table.

3) In the old days, rainwater would use the natural slope to reach a nearby canal and the canal would take the water to Buriganga, Balu, or Turag. However, now the situation is different because of thousands of manmade hindrances.

4) Water from the roofs comes down to the roads, water from a higher elevation also rushes to an area of a road that has a lower elevation. Now, if the waterlogged roads are quite near any canal, the water can flow to it, albeit slowly because of hindrances.

5) But, this may not happen naturally to those waterlogged areas that are far from the canals. For example:
- if a canal is only 2 km away, the depth of the drain would be 4 m at the canal point. It is 6 m if the distance is 3 km. By the international standard, a 0.2% longitudinal slope has to be maintained. It means 2 m per 1 km length.

6) However, if the planners provide small pump stations every 500 m that will automatically start when the water reaches a certain level, the maximum depth can be maintained at 1 m with the provision of a pump at an orifice at 500 m intervals. Please read somewhere the definition and function of an orifice in water/civil engineering.

There are certainly some methods other than draining to the canals to solve the waterlogging issue. But, I will stop here because the Dhaka Mayors have already decided on providing drains. So, I said a few simple words within my knowledge on the practical problems that may arise when doing so.

* Please note that an underground pipeline to discharge rainwater will require a huge quantity of earth excavation. Slope @0.2 m per km. must be maintained. Otherwise, water will not pass adequately, and waterlogging will remain as it is.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom