5 Reasons to Plant an Olive Tree
26 January, 2023
1. Olive trees are hardy and long-lived. They can live for hundreds of years and are able to withstand extreme weather conditions. This makes them ideal for planting in a variety of climates.
2. Olive trees are a source of delicious and healthy oil. The oil produced by olives is high in monounsaturated fats and antioxidants, making it a healthy addition to any diet.
3. Olive trees are also a source of food. The olives themselves can be eaten fresh or cured
and are a staple in Mediterranean cuisine.
Cure your Olives, recipe above.
4. Olive trees can provide shade and beauty. The trees are evergreen and have a distinctive, gnarled appearance that can add visual interest to any landscape, garden or patio terrace.
Olive tree in a pot on a hot summer day in front of stone wall
Creating shade is so important in a garden.
5. Olive tree cultivation also helps to preserve biodiversity. The trees provide food and habitat for many species of birds and insects and helps to protect soil and water resources.
Common Starling feeding its nestling
Olive tree history
In addition, planting an olive tree is a great way to connect with history and tradition. Olives have been cultivated for thousands of years. They have played an important role in the economy, culture, and cuisine of the Mediterranean region.
Planting an olive tree can be a way to honour that history and tradition and to feel a sense of connection to sunnier climbs! Furthermore,
Olive trees are drought-tolerant, which is great for regions where water is scarce and a precious resource. They are also capable of growth in poor soil conditions, which makes them versatile and adaptable.
Not only do they offer year long beauty, they are a reminder of sunnier climes.
In conclusion, planting an olive tree has numerous benefits, including being a source of delicious and healthy oil. They also provide shade and beauty and preserve biodiversity. Additionally, it can connect you to history, tradition, and culture. It can also be a great way to make a sustainable and environmentally friendly choice for your garden.