• Thursday, February 27, 2020

Study: Average Saudi Arabian consumes 3 kilograms of coffee annually

Discussion in 'Middle East & Africa' started by al-Hasani, Jan 1, 2015.

1. al-Hasani

al-Hasani ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +52 / 25,135 / -11
    Saudi Arabia
    Study: Average Saudi Arabian consumes 3 kilograms of coffee annually
    Ali Al-Rubaie
    Okaz/Saudi Gazette

BAHA — A study revealed that the Kingdom ranks as the largest coffee consumer in the world, importing 10,000 tons of coffee beans a year.

The study, conducted by biology professor Firdous Bukhary, also revealed the average consumption rate of coffee for a Saudi is three kilograms a year.

The annual estimated cost of importing coffee and its necessities is SR5.5 billion.

Moreover, more than 26,000 tons of cardamom, ginger and saffron worth more than SR4.5 billion are imported on an annual basis.

Arabic coffee is an important part of Arab culture and is considered the symbol of generosity and hospitality. Coffee is consumed on various private and public occasions.

Traditionally, Saudis would gather at someone’s house for coffee and snacks after the afternoon and evening prayers.

Coffee is associated with other traditional and cultural occasions, such as gatherings listening to the songs of Fairuz or the poems of Mahmoud Darwish.

Some Arabs even believe that you can analyze a person’s personality by the flavor of the coffee they make.

A Coffee and Chocolate Exhibition was held in Riyadh recently with the participation of more than 35 local companies and other pioneering Arab companies.

At the event Deputy Minister of Agriculture Khalid Al-Faheed said the Kingdom is also one of the leading exporters of coffee beans in the world. He said: “The ministry prioritizes coffee beans exportation and provides the most suitable environment and soil for quality beans.

“Jazan is considered the most popular area for coffee beans plantations in the Kingdom due to its mountainous landscape.

“However the most popular type of coffee beans is mocha, typically planted in Yemen.”

He added Jazan has more than 70,000 coffee bean trees planted by over 600 farmers. The province alone produces around 500 tons of coffee beans annually.

Study: Average Saudi consumes 3 kilograms of coffee annually | Kingdom | Saudi Gazette

Not strange considering the historical importance of coffee on the Arabian Peninsula (especially) and Arab world. Or the fact that coffee originates in Ethiopia and Southern Arabia while being commercialized to the remaining world by the Arabs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    faifa 2011
    by al_gasemy, on Flickr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  2. rockstar08

rockstar08 BANNED

Ratings:
    +16 / 10,963 / -32
    Pakistan
    why Coffee is so much famous in Arab culture ?? i heard they prefer tea ...!?

3. al-Hasani

al-Hasani ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +52 / 25,135 / -11
    Saudi Arabia
    Because coffee originates in Horn of Africa and Arabia. Arabs were the first ones to cultivate coffee and export it to the remaining world. Since then it has been a important beverage.

History of coffee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tea is also very popular in the Arab world although it originates in China.

The photos are of areas where coffee is growing in KSA and Yemen.:)

See more here below;

The Arabian Peninsula and Arab world in photos | Page 35

As the article states then Jazan region of KSA alone has 70.000 coffee bean trees! The "coffee business" so to speak is growing in KSA. Excellent conditions for coffee in all the mountainous areas of the country which is basically the entire Western part of KSA.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  4. rockstar08

rockstar08 BANNED

Ratings:
    +16 / 10,963 / -32
    Pakistan
    oh i didnt know that about coffee .. but honestly i dont like coffee much ,
    anyway i was still expecting a dinner from you in your palace :D

with some coffee or tea hahaa

yeah i remember the pics, its in Arabs coffee shop thread ..

5. Azizam

Azizam BANNED

Ratings:
    +3 / 4,587 / -11
    Sri Lanka
    Still can't beat me I guess. I drink more coffee than water. I start the day from a cup of coffee and end with a cup of coffee. ;)

6. al-Hasani

al-Hasani ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +52 / 25,135 / -11
    Saudi Arabia
    Try roasting the coffee beans at a bonfire once an add cardamon, cloves and rose water. A bit of sugar or milk if you prefer that. That's the Arabian way. The smell alone is hypnotizing IMO. Oh, and probably everyone of us knows what wonders coffee can do if you are behind the curriculum and have to study until the late morning hours.:D The only problem is that you have to piss all the time.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  7. Azizam

Azizam BANNED

Ratings:
    +3 / 4,587 / -11
    Sri Lanka
    Oh don't make me get addicted even more. I am quite sure this is too bad for health. Even right now I am drinking coffee while typing.

I will sure try though.

8. al-Hasani

al-Hasani ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +52 / 25,135 / -11
    Saudi Arabia
    All addictions are in general harmful for you. I like my daily coffee too but I have learned that I can't go overboard. Too much coffee and tea makes the toilet a too "close friend" for my part.:lol: Very annoying.

Coffee: Your Poison or Your Medicine? | John Berardi, Ph.D.

Since you are of Sri Lankan origin then you must drink a hell lot of tea as well? I mean Sri Lanka is famous for its Ceylon tea. Do you guys drink tea with cardamon like we do in the Arab world? How much sugar do you put in your tea? A lot or less?

9. Azizam

Azizam BANNED

Ratings:
    +3 / 4,587 / -11
    Sri Lanka
    In Sri Lanka I used to drink a lot of tea but in UK it's always coffee. I guess it has do with the weather.

Use of cardamon really depends on the place or person. For instance, my grandma (father's mother) uses cardamon but my mother doesn't and I also prefer tea without it so I don't use it either. I think majority of Sri Lankans use it. Sri Lankans put a lot of sugar on tea and coffee. No wonder Diabetes is also very common there.

10. Saiful Islam

Saiful Islam SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1 / 2,418 / -4
    Bangladesh
    I have noticed Arabs drink alot of Coffee. When I was at my Lebanese friends house he had this thick black sauce which was Coffee. I drink alot of Coffee too, but not as fancily as you guys do :P, I just buy a Nescafe from the store add some sugar and tada..My Algerian friend makes great mint tea and he adds some beautiful bosnian honey to make it sweet.

11. al-Hasani

al-Hasani ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +52 / 25,135 / -11
    Saudi Arabia
    Yes, coffee is consumed a lot in cold European countries. Meaning everything north of the Alps. Here in Scandinavia especially. The problem is that it's mostly of very poor quality and obviously always imported.

Interesting. I learnt to my surprise that tea was first cultivated in Sri Lanka in 1847. That's quite late.

Tea production in Sri Lanka - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When I thought about tea I always thought about Sri Lanka so I thought that the industry was very old and established. So hence my surprise.

We also put a lot of sugar when drinking tea. Whether with cardamon or mint etc. Arabs in general have a sweet tooth which also causes obesity and diabetes. So a similar situation it seems!

Why Bosnian? That's strange as I am sure that there is good quality honey in Algeria. At least in KSA, Yemen etc. the honey is one of the best in the world arguably and widely consumed.:)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  12. Saiful Islam

Saiful Islam SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1 / 2,418 / -4
    Bangladesh
    I don't know, he's half Algerian and half Bosnian. He sells honey for £7+ a pot.

13. Falcon29

Falcon29 ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21 / 18,594 / -33
    Palestinian Territory, Occupied
    I love Coffee. Although in Arab world I largely drink tea when I'm there. Because I don't really like Arabic coffee. I just buy NesCafe packets from local stores. Back in Gaza I have several tons of Nescafe in my closet. :rofl:

Here I largely drink American coffee. I used to make homemade folgers/maxwell house. Until I discovered Tim Hortons. :D

It is best coffee hands down. After that comes Dunkin Donuts then Biggbys then Starbucks. Most people drink iced coffee which is why they drink that trash called Starbucks. But I only do hot coffee.

14. xenon54

xenon54 ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19 / 30,740 / -0
    Turkey
    Did someone say Tea? We are addicted to this shyte. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. livingdead

livingdead ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6 / 21,592 / -6
    India
    I am a tea drinker... coffee is the work of satan.