• Sunday, January 26, 2020

Stick to English please!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Elmo, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Elmo

Elmo RETIRED

Ratings:
    +0 / 2,128 / -0
    Of late, we are getting reports of users posting in Urdu, Arabic, Turkish, and other regional languages.

While we do acknowledge that each language has its own nuances and unique uses of phrasing messages, given that we have an international audience, could all kindly stick to using English language only.

Anybody found posting in languages other than English in non-Members Club threads would be warned, and repeated violations may be lead to an infraction.

We look forward to your compliance on this matter.

@WebMaster @Awesome @Oscar @Zakii @TaimiKhan @Aeronaut @Jungibaaz @ANTIBODY @Rafael @Adios Amigo @T-Faz
    @Deno @Hu Songshan @Loki @Neptune @Serpentine

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2013
  2. Elmo

Elmo RETIRED

Ratings:
    +0 / 2,128 / -0
    Bump. Updated it.

3. Neptune

Neptune SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +52 / 11,576 / -0
    Turkey
    @Elmo request verified. We encourage members to stick on English. But I approved the use of Turkish at only "Turkish Food&Culture, News" thread.

4. Marwat Khan Lodhi

Marwat Khan Lodhi BANNED

Ratings:
    +11 / 4,878 / -44
    Pakistan
    my english is not that strong, some times i had to use one or more sentence of urdu to explain my point....And my posts are limited to pakistan affairs.

5. Elmo

Elmo RETIRED

Ratings:
    +0 / 2,128 / -0
    But Pakistan Affairs section is not limited to Pakistanis. Think of this as an opportunity to brush up your language skills.

Please do not approve the use of Turkish in Food, Culture and News threads without making it clear that they cannot be made outside. I have had to delete a string of posts that made no sense.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the record, earlier we have only allowed non-English posts in the Members Club but the spillover effect means we have them in mainstream threads with an international audience.

More often than not, users are making chit-chat type posts using language barriers as an excuse.

Are there any other issues that need to be addressed?

6. Capt.Popeye

Capt.Popeye ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +24 / 14,993 / -12
    One suggestion from my side. Please put an English translation after the Urdu sentence(s). The quality of language matters less than quality of the thought. That might work better with the management and nobody will be confused.

7. Argus Panoptes

Argus Panoptes BANNED

Ratings:
    +0 / 3,462 / -0
    It would be nice if everybody implemented the rules equally, but may be there are difficulties in following through, since the following post was made after the advice above? This just an observation, nothing more.

8. Elmo

Elmo RETIRED

Ratings:
    +0 / 2,128 / -0
    Excellent suggestion!

Thanks for pointing it out. @Rafael - you should not only paraphrase verbatim what someone said, but also provide a reasonable enough translation.

9. Capt.Popeye

Capt.Popeye ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +24 / 14,993 / -12
    Shukriya Mohatarma, Thank you; Ma'am. :salute: :)

10. livingdead

livingdead ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6 / 21,593 / -6
    India
    Its a good idea to adhere to English only rule, but the forum will lose some of its charm and vibrancy.
    I doubt we got enough international reader to follow such rules strictly, the total number of international member (other than india and pakistan) will be less than 3 percent.
    Even the unregistered users from outside of India/Pak will be mostly desi... :D

Anyway, I dont want to face the wrath of elmo. :) . I just need to be careful to see where the thread is(sometimes I even tried to post something in senior cafe without knowing)

11. Capt.Popeye

Capt.Popeye ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +24 / 14,993 / -12
    I like that "turn of phrase", Argus. No point getting the Gracious Lady "all riled up". :)

12. Elmo

Elmo RETIRED

Ratings:
    +0 / 2,128 / -0
    Boys! It's all right to be open.

I agree with what you stated, but we do have a considerable audience now from the Middle East and Americas.

It's about being open to them as well.

13. livingdead

livingdead ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6 / 21,593 / -6
    India
    What about those who are too verbose, write English prose that nobody understands, create a page size posts and are completely inconsiderate to people like us (and americans too) , people talk about them in hushed voice but nobody raises a voice... against @Armstrong @Dillinger @Argus Panoptes @Secur etc. :girl_wacko:

14. Sasquatch

Sasquatch INT'L MOD

Ratings:
    +6 / 4,796 / -0
    China

Sure understood.

15. Elmo

Elmo RETIRED

Ratings:
    +0 / 2,128 / -0
    Aah... I see some tables being tilted. I will let the respondents reply: @Armstrong @Dillinger @Argus Panoptes @Secur