What's new

South Korea willing to help in developing Bangladesh pharma and ICT sectors: ambassador

Black_cats

Dec 31, 2010
Published on 04:39 PM, June 16, 2021
South Korea willing to help in developing Bangladesh pharma and ICT sectors: ambassador

Photo: Collected
Star Digital Report

Noting that South Korea has played a key role in developing Bangladesh's RMG sector to become the world's second-largest exporter, Ambassador Lee Jang-Keun highlighted the importance of furthering bilateral commercial ties beyond RMG to various sectors such as bio-pharmaceutical and ICT.

Attending a virtual discussion today on trade and investment opportunities between Bangladesh and South Korea, Ambassador Lee spoke of Korea's further commitment. He also added that Samsung R&D Institute has been operating in Dhaka since 2011, employing 460 young software developers in Bangladesh and that Korea Export Processing Zone (KEPZ) has recently inaugurated a 100-acre Hi-tech Park within its premises.

Ambassador Lee pointed out that despite the growth of overall trade volume of the two countries respectively, bilateral trade has remained at a standstill for the past decade with a trade volume of $1.7 billion. To realise the full potential of the South Korea-Bangladesh commercial ties, he emphasised the importance of fostering a business-friendly environment, including addressing the challenges faced by companies doing business with the other country, particularly in tax and tariff policy, repatriation of profit, and streamlining administrative procedures.

The virtual discussion, organised by the Embassy of the People's Republic of Bangladesh in Seoul, was also attended by Salman F Rahman, advisor to the Prime Minister on Private Industry and Investment; Paban Chowdhury, Executive Chairman of BEZA; Md Sirazul Islam, Executive Chairman of BIDA; Sultana Afroz, Secretary and CEO of PPPA; and Md Nazrul Islam, Executive Chairman of BEPZA.

SpaceMan18

Aug 10, 2020
Country
Bangladesh
Published on 04:39 PM, June 16, 2021

Photo: Collected
Star Digital Report

Noting that South Korea has played a key role in developing Bangladesh's RMG sector to become the world's second-largest exporter, Ambassador Lee Jang-Keun highlighted the importance of furthering bilateral commercial ties beyond RMG to various sectors such as bio-pharmaceutical and ICT.

Attending a virtual discussion today on trade and investment opportunities between Bangladesh and South Korea, Ambassador Lee spoke of Korea's further commitment. He also added that Samsung R&D Institute has been operating in Dhaka since 2011, employing 460 young software developers in Bangladesh and that Korea Export Processing Zone (KEPZ) has recently inaugurated a 100-acre Hi-tech Park within its premises.

Ambassador Lee pointed out that despite the growth of overall trade volume of the two countries respectively, bilateral trade has remained at a standstill for the past decade with a trade volume of $1.7 billion. To realise the full potential of the South Korea-Bangladesh commercial ties, he emphasised the importance of fostering a business-friendly environment, including addressing the challenges faced by companies doing business with the other country, particularly in tax and tariff policy, repatriation of profit, and streamlining administrative procedures.

The virtual discussion, organised by the Embassy of the People's Republic of Bangladesh in Seoul, was also attended by Salman F Rahman, advisor to the Prime Minister on Private Industry and Investment; Paban Chowdhury, Executive Chairman of BEZA; Md Sirazul Islam, Executive Chairman of BIDA; Sultana Afroz, Secretary and CEO of PPPA; and Md Nazrul Islam, Executive Chairman of BEPZA.
Good to hear , how about the automotive sector ?

Bilal9

ELITE MEMBER
Feb 4, 2014
Country
Bangladesh
IMHO we (one of our larger companies) should negotiate buy Kia, Hyundai, SunKyong or Daewoo used older automobile assembly line equipment and hire some of their older (past prime) vehicle production experts to train our factory workers. Bangladesh is a comfortable second home for a lot of Korean expats. Many thousands of Koreans work in Bangladesh,

Their existing factories are changing over to robotics and automated equipment all the time. Especially when IC car production goes to electric.

You don't need some 'elahi karbar' govt. to govt. deal.

bluesky

ELITE MEMBER
Jun 14, 2016
Country
Bangladesh
From me, it is a yes if another motorcycle plant after HONDA is built. And Mitsubishi would be a better choice being with better technologies and our car market is very small that cannot expand unless people have jobs in higher value-added industries. So, another car plant may not be feasible.

I do not think our Garments Ladies have the capacity to own a car. However, all of them can afford a scooter or a motorcycle. So, multiple motorcycle factories but only one car industry would be better because the car demands are paltry. Roads are also insufficient and inefficient. So, for now only Mitsubishi Motors.

Last edited:

Bilal9

ELITE MEMBER
Feb 4, 2014
Country
Bangladesh
From me, it is a yes if another motorcycle plant after HONDA is built. Mitsubishi would be a better choice being with better technologies and our market is very small that cannot expand unless people have jobs in higher value-added industries. So, another car plant may not be feasible.

I do not think our Garments Ladies have the capacity to own a car. However, all of them can afford a scooter or a motorcycle. A car industry cannot compete and survive with a paltry demand in the producing country. Roads are also insufficient and inefficient.
The only known Korean famous Motorcycle brand that I know of is HyoSung.

They started in the late seventies as a Suzuki assembler. Although capturing local market, they have not exported in large numbers to any countries except China, Laos, and recently, the US.

I am sure if asked, they'd be more than happy to form a JV with a Bangladesh company for export to their markets. A lower cost of assembly may be just the thing they are looking for.

KR Motors in USA owns them now.

fallstuff

ELITE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2009
Country
Bangladesh
Pharma sector is doing great on its own. BD needs help in automobile sector.
Also it would not hurt to have some decent engineering and metallurgical programs as somebody else setting up factories will only take you so far !

Last edited:

SpaceMan18

Aug 10, 2020
Country
Bangladesh
Pharma sector is doing great o its own. BD needs help in automobile sector.
Also it would not hurt to have some decent engineering and metallurgical programs as somebody else setting up factories will only take you so far !
True , we gotta make everything indigenously as possible
IMHO we (one of our larger companies) should negotiate buy Kia, Hyundai, SunKyong or Daewoo used older automobile assembly line equipment and hire some of their older (past prime) vehicle production experts to train our factory workers. Bangladesh is a comfortable second home for a lot of Korean expats. Many thousands of Koreans work in Bangladesh,

Their existing factories are changing over to robotics and automated equipment all the time. Especially when IC car production goes to electric.

You don't need some 'elahi karbar' govt. to govt. deal.
Walton car eh , sounds fk great honestly lol you know what I think they should definitely do that

Bilal9

ELITE MEMBER
Feb 4, 2014
Country
Bangladesh
Walton car eh , sounds fk great honestly lol you know what I think they should definitely do that
Walton was one of the first Motorcycle manufacturers in Bangladesh other than Atlas (Honda) motors under BSEC, which was a govt. concern, and was established in 1977 as a subsidiary of Walton Group.

Walton makes various types of entry level Motorcycle models which range from 80cc to 150cc. They are capable of making 350,000 motorbikes per year and export a limited number to different countries. Walton makes quality motorcycles and two wheelers today but have plans to make automobile components and maybe complete automobiles in the MirSarai zone someday. Video below which is not recent but does show various motorcycle manufacture processes they undertake.

Walton has not been as successful in the market because of Indians (Hero etc.) cheating and bringing in their half-assembled motorbikes to our market using Bangladesh govt, tariff loopholes.

The economies of scale for Indian parts enables them to price their assembled motorcycles lower in Bangladesh than motorcycles made locally from scratch.

Walton makes a lot of their motorcycles components (e.g. frames and tanks) from scratch using CAD/CAM machining. I have seen the CAD/CAM design footage.

Govt. should tighten and raise tariff on SKD and CKD imported bike kits from India (to be assembled locally) within a couple of years and then Hero won't be able to do this anymore. They will be forced to either make things locally (which I know they will not want to do) or will exit the market.

Either way local bike makers will win.

Last edited:

SpaceMan18

Aug 10, 2020
Country
Bangladesh
Walton was one of the first Motorcycle manufacturers in Bangladesh other than Atlas (Honda) motors under BSEC, which was a govt. concern, and was established in 1977 as a subsidiary of Walton Group.

Walton makes various types of entry level Motorcycle models which range from 80cc to 150cc. They are capable of making 350,000 motorbikes per year and export a limited number to different countries. Walton makes quality motorcycles and two wheelers today but have plans to make automobile components and maybe complete automobiles in the MirSarai zone someday. Video below which is not recent but does show various motorcycle manufacture processes they undertake.

Walton has not been as successful in the market because of Indians (Hero etc.) cheating and bringing in their half-assembled motorbikes to our market using Bangladesh govt, tariff loopholes.

The economies of scale for Indian parts enables them to price their assembled motorcycles lower in Bangladesh than motorcycles made locally from scratch.

Walton makes a lot of their motorcycles components (e.g. frames and tanks) from scratch using CAD/CAM machining. I have seen the CAD/CAM design footage.

Govt. should tighten and raise tariff on SKD and CKD imported bike kits from India (to be assembled locally) within a couple of years and then Hero won't be able to do this anymore. They will be forced to either make things locally (which I know they will not want to do) or will exit the market.

Either way local bike makers will win.
No sane person will let an Indian take it's local market away lol , typical BD

Bilal9

ELITE MEMBER
Feb 4, 2014
Country
Bangladesh
Nah.

I want South Korea to teach us how to make K-dramas like Stranger, Tunnel, Signal etc. :victory1:
Yup - actually you're right. May not be so similar to our cultural underpinnings, but young folks (under 30 crowd) will like it. Korean dramas are popular across all Asian cultures (China, Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand) because of their high quality storylines and production values.

I watched a series a few years ago. It was some rich South Korean heiress crash lands in North Korea on a test flight and has a romantic interlude with a North Korean Army commander...really well-woven and enjoyable to watch. The actors and actresses knew their craft to a hilt.

Last edited:

bd_4_ever

Nov 29, 2009
Country
Bangladesh
Yup - actually you're right. May not be so similar to our cultural underpinnings, but young folks (under 30 crowd) will like it. Korean dramas are popular across all Asian cultures (China, Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand) because of their high quality storylines and production values.

I watched a series a few years ago. It was some rich South Korean heiress crash lands in North Korea on a test flight and has a romantic interlude with a North Korean Army commander...really well-woven and enjoyable to watch. The actors and actresses knew their craft to a hilt.
Ah, that is probably 'Crash Landing on You'. I dont like soft/romantic dramas though.

My thing is more cop/mystery thriller, Sci-fi, Zombies etc.

I mean Koreans and Zombies = a match made in heaven. If you want to give it a shot, watch the movie 'Train to Busan' and the Netflix drama 'Kingdom'.

Bilal9

ELITE MEMBER
Feb 4, 2014
Country
Bangladesh
Ah, that is probably 'Crash Landing on You'. I dont like soft/romantic dramas though.

My thing is more cop/mystery thriller, Sci-fi, Zombies etc.

I mean Koreans and Zombies = a match made in heaven. If you want to give it a shot, watch the movie 'Train to Busan' and the Netflix drama 'Kingdom'.
Thanks for the tips. :-)

I am sure you can imagine who made me watch it, we all have to do things sometimes for (ahem) strategic reasons, Allah Malik....

Same reasons I end up watching sappy dramas 'together' on ARY channel.

I mean I have four TV's in the house, but watching 'together' is necessary I have been told...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom