What's new

Should English and Arabic be also granted Secondary status in Bangladesh?

Tom-tom

Dec 10, 2019
Country
United Kingdom
As I mentioned above it is happening already in Bangladesh based on my research and understanding ! 90 percent of Bangladeshi people at some point in their life learn Arabic and use it in their daily lives.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thefinancialexpress.com.bd/economy/bangladesh/bd-to-bank-on-madrasa-teachers-arabic-skills-1535346365?amp=true
Study shows people who are multi-lingual tend to be a better programmer and coder. You’re clearly failing to look at the benefits before commenting. First try to understand why it is important to learn multiple language; you will be able to answer the questions yourself.
English is a language, that makes bengalis multi lingual. Your the one that's irrational your ignoring every point I made in post 23.

Also it's happening in bangladesh as Arabic is accessible, to some bengali student then other vocational/professional subjects.

When other subjects become more accessible to the masses and affordable then I suspect soeaking Arabic fluently will become less of a priority and what fills the belly does.

Was that emotional enough for you?

SylhetiBDeshiAmerican

Apr 22, 2020
Country
United States
Are you going change 90 percent of Bangladeshi’s history and attachment to the Arabic language and its daily usage ? Once you will be able to answer that question, you will be able to know why Arabic language will only get strengthened in Bangladesh over time. Of course it will come with all of the other benefits that I have mentioned previously. End of story, it looks like you’re the one who is being emotional lol
English is a language, that makes bengalis multi lingual. Your the one that's irrational your ignoring every point I made in post 23.

Also it's happening in bangladesh as Arabic is accessible, to some bengali student then other vocational/professional subjects.

When other subjects become more accessible to the masses and affordable then I suspect soeaking Arabic fluently will become less of a priority and what fills the belly does.

Was that emotional enough for you?

HannibalBarca

ELITE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2017
Country
Tunisia
I was going to answer every little "Mistakes" of some... about Arabic language... In hope to keep the lambda guy ,who is checking this thread, far from falling into such "false views"...
But I guess... Most "Anti-Arabic" is just a way to express their "Anti-ARABS" views... by making the behavior of some Arabs/Boss a reality for Millions of Arabs, Culture etc...

So for those who may wish to know... Arabs DO understand each others... despite Dialects since EVERY Arab do speak an Universal MSA Arabic... that is taught in School and it's the "VERSION" in the Education system... Dialects is just for everyday life exchanges...Learning Arabic is beneficial... as it is with any language... So whoever wish to learn it or not... the benefit will be to you... Be it in your personal or professional life ...

Michael Corleone

Oct 27, 2014
Country
Bangladesh
Why not? what is the harm to it? It is actually beneficial to learn more languages and it is also an sacred language for Bangladeshis. If families wants it they should be given the opportunity to teach their kids Arabic language along with English and Sylheti (For Sylhet Division Resident Only) as well. Arabic is also one of the official language of the United Nation as well. My beloved wife used to speak Arabic as well, it’s a very useful language both in religious and commercial matters. But English must be taught at all levels without a question.
There are far more important languages to learn than Arabic. Yes people who see themselves living in Middle East should learn Arabic but as our labor manpower is being reduced to Middle East, I think it’s wasted opportunity to not teach kids some other languages, like french, German or Russian

Bengali should remain the only official language of Bangladesh. In a monolingual country like Bangladesh, there is no justification to give official status to any other language. Not even English. English should be taught from childhood as a subject, but no official recognition.

Now come to Arabic. Arabic is perhaps the most absurd language in the world. Currently there are 22 Arab countries, they speak wildly different dialect of Arabic which often not mutually intelligible from country to country. For example, Arabic spoken in North Africa(Morocco, Algeria) is totally different from Arabic spoken in Arabian peninsula or Levant. More bizarre thing about Arabic is that Arabic uses in written from do not match with Arabic spoken by common people. The Arabs use classical Arabic for writing purpose which was used by Quraish tribe 1400 years ago, the long extinct dialect in which Quran was written. Current spoken Arabic is totally different.

And the bizarreness do not stop here, the Arabic is written from right to left, yet the numerals are written from left to right. It is particularly problematic when someone study mathematics in Arabic language. Moreover Arabic language which is written without tazwid is very difficult for any non Arabic speaker to correctly read. This Arabic script problem was one of the reason many Muslim countries(Turkey, Malaysia some others) ditched Arabic script in favor of Roman script in the beginning of 20th century.

The spoken Arabic vs Written Arabic problem is also one of the major factor of low level of literacy and intellectual bankruptcy of the Arab world. Some Arab countries like Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia are ditching Arabic in favor of French. Then why should any sane country will adopt this problematic language as an official language for no reason? just because it is considered Islamic language? But there is no rule in Islam which requires making Arabic as an official language to become pious or worthy of entering paradise. Learning Salat and some Duaa and be able to read the Quran in Arabic is enough for common Muslim. No need to burden our children requiring them to learn some worthless language which will be no use in this world and is not mandatory to shine in afterlife. Thanks.
English is recognized as a second language afaik

I was going to answer every little "Mistakes" of some... about Arabic language... In hope to keep the lambda guy ,who is checking this thread, far from falling into such "false views"...
But I guess... Most "Anti-Arabic" is just a way to express their "Anti-ARABS" views... by making the behavior of some Arabs/Boss a reality for Millions of Arabs, Culture etc...

So for those who may wish to know... Arabs DO understand each others... despite Dialects since EVERY Arab do speak an Universal MSA Arabic... that is taught in School and it's the "VERSION" in the Education system... Dialects is just for everyday life exchanges...Learning Arabic is beneficial... as it is with any language... So whoever wish to learn it or not... the benefit will be to you... Be it in your personal or professional life ...
Tell that to Khaleej speakers, I understand Arabic spoken in gulf and then a little less the further it goes from there. Moroccan doesn’t sound like Arabic at all, it sounds like a Chinese bastard bred with a Russian bustard. I’m not native Arabic speaker and yet even my native friends can’t understand Moroccans, Moroccans however can understand everything we say

Doomstar

May 9, 2015
Country
Bangladesh
English should be a secondary language as if it wasn't already.

Arabic? No. Also note there is a clear difference between the Arabic in the Qur'an and the Arabic spoken by Arabs today. Let's not even get started on the different way Arabic is spoken among Arabs. We're not even close to any Arabic speaking country anyway.

SylhetiBDeshiAmerican

Apr 22, 2020
Country
United States
There are far more important languages to learn than Arabic. Yes people who see themselves living in Middle East should learn Arabic but as our labor manpower is being reduced to Middle East, I think it’s wasted opportunity to not teach kids some other languages, like french, German or Russian

English is recognized as a second language afaik

Tell that to Khaleej speakers, I understand Arabic spoken in gulf and then a little less the further it goes from there. Moroccan doesn’t sound like Arabic at all, it sounds like a Chinese bastard bred with a Russian bustard. I’m not native Arabic speaker and yet even my native friends can’t understand Moroccans, Moroccans however can understand everything we say
You’re a very rational and reasonable person. Bangladesh has huge community in Italy as well. I am of the view youth should learn many language as they can. Starting with Arabic and English as it is already being taught in Bangladesh certain extent.

Last edited:

Michael Corleone

Oct 27, 2014
Country
Bangladesh
You’re a very rational and reasonable person. Bangladesh has huge community in Italy as well. I am of the view youth should learn many language as they can. Stared with Arabic and English as it is already being thought in Bangladesh certain extent.
Arabic is a very difficult language. As difficult as bangla and Russian
Although kids with good coaching will grasp it faster

SylhetiBDeshiAmerican

Apr 22, 2020
Country
United States
You should declare Urdu as official Language. Urdu is language of combined Muslims of South Asia
Urdu is a a nice language as well. Most Bangladeshies understand it based on my experience, thus no need for it. Other two languages I have mentioned are more important at this moment!

Last edited:

Robbie

Apr 2, 2020
Country
India
Just a thought - having travelled to a lot of countries, if you feel that students in BD have the bandwidth to study another language after English, it should be French. There's a lot of opportunities in Europe and Africa that open up with French.

ebr77

Apr 3, 2011
Arabic : No
English : used widely
Personally speaking : learning/learning several language is always a good idea . So it should be encouraged in school / college / University .
Close the thread please . @moderator

Tom-tom

Dec 10, 2019
Country
United Kingdom
Just a thought - having travelled to a lot of countries, if you feel that students in BD have the bandwidth to study another language after English, it should be French. There's a lot of opportunities in Europe and Africa that open up with French.
I personally feel there are lot of kids in bangladesh in state secondary/primary school don't have the bandwidth to learn an additional language out english. As a lot miss meals whilst also hold down menial jobs.

I just come back from bangladesh recently there are 2 or 3 tracks for secondary school kids.

The first is called 'arts' they prounce it as 'arse', no science is taught from what I gather basic maths. I asked the 16 yr old has he done geometry yet he said no. Bear in mind hes been held back a year so him and his sister can go together.

Then there is a track called 'science', where they teach more useful stuff for professional fields. Out of the whole grameen district only (I.e all the barees in the area only teach 3-4 learn students per a year in the science track)

For the science track, you have to pass a English test.

Then I think there commerce which I don't know to much about, but from what I am told you can still become Dr but it's the long route.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)