What's new

Serious 'flaw' in the railway design of the dream Padma Bridge, vehicles will get stuck without enough headroom!

Bilal9

ELITE MEMBER
Feb 4, 2014
Country
Bangladesh
@Bilal9 bhai, can you explain what's going on... i read it... didn't get through my head... albeit sleepy
Apparently, from what I can glean from the news reports, the fault is not on the bridge itself. since trucks and covered vans will pass on the second level (roof) of the bridge, the railway line running inside the bridge itself. There is no shortage of headroom for vehicles, it is wide open to the sky.

The problem seems to be on the approach road overpass where vehicular traffic crosses the bridge approach for rail, underneath it. This is my understanding.

Anyways, there are enough people involved in this to correct the mistake, if any and however major/minor.

No need to worry.

Michael Corleone

Oct 27, 2014
Country
Bangladesh
Apparently, from what I can glean from the news reports, the fault is not on the bridge itself. since trucks and covered vans will pass on the second level (roof) of the bridge, the railway line running inside the bridge itself. There is no shortage of headroom for vehicles, it is wide open to the sky.

The problem seems to be on the approach road overpass where vehicular traffic crosses the bridge approach for rail, underneath it. This is my understanding.

Anyways, there are enough people involved in this to correct the mistake, if any and however major/minor.

No need to worry.
Lmao now that’s hilarious. How come no one noticed this.

bluesky

ELITE MEMBER
Jun 14, 2016
Country
Bangladesh
There isn't a single road, highway or footpath in BD that isn't built super NARROW. So this doesn't surprise me one bit.

It's like people have completely forgotten we have over 160 million people in this country. Why does everything have to be built small? That's why there's traffic jams and road accidents. Buses and taxis literally hit each other head-on while overtaking or fall off into the roadside ditch for only ONE reason and that's not enough space or lanes on the road. People cross the road illegally for the same reason. When you have wide roads, people don't jaywalk. Even our government offices are tiny.

When you have a tiny mentality, you can't help but make everything undersized.
It is the legacy of too many people were born in a congested small land area. Moreover, land is further scarce because the road base has to fill up with soil excavated from the two sides.

At least, people are now aware that too many children in the past has caused many problems like it and people now do not produce many children. However, I am not sure how to widen a road on two sides. Dhaka is already very impossible.

However, Zilla/rural roads can certainly be widened by excavating river shoals/ Chars and fill the already dug channels at both sides of the roads. Expand the roads over the newly filled soil.

Fortress

New Recruit

Dec 20, 2018
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
It is the legacy of too many people were born in a congested small land area. Moreover, land is further scarce because the road base has to fill up with soil excavated from the two sides.

At least, people are now aware that too many children in the past has caused many problems like it and people now do not produce many children. However, I am not sure how to widen a road on two sides. Dhaka is already very impossible.

However, Zilla/rural roads can certainly be widened by excavating river shoals/ Chars and fill the already dug channels at both sides of the roads. Expand the roads over the newly filled soil.

It's always the same answer from people when I talk about the size of BD roads and infrastructure.

The congestion is the problem. Making roads and infrastructure wider is the solution. There IS enough land. Singapore by density is higher than BD but their roads are wide and buildings are large. When we make a bridge, even that is only two lanes per direction. When at minimum a road must have 3 lanes, and each lane must be at least 10 ft to 12 ft wide. I don't think we even have rules for what constitutes a lane.

What is preventing that bridge from being wider when there is nothing but empty space around it? If there is an accident or build up on a 2-lane bridge, that stops the entire bridge. But if it has 3-4 lanes, then you can just drive past the obstructed part. Our urban planners have absolutely no design sense.

If you look at a satellite map, there is nothing but empty land and fields. Humans live in congestion. There is nothing preventing us from bigger roads, or building a completely new city from scratch with proper ordinance laws. Even the new neighborhoods they're building on Dhaka's outskirts are with narrow roads. This city will be unlivable in 20 years. This country will be unlivable in 100 years.

When you build a narrow highway, it immediately brings shops and buildings on the side of the road. Thereby preventing it from ever expanding. Which is why when you build it the first time, it needs to be as wide as possible.

If we built wider roads and buildings, there will be significant alleviation of poverty, and in turn actually reduce population growth naturally. The US highway system is a major part of its prowess. If we have less traffic jams, it would open up far more business opportunities than you can imagine. Currently, we can't even facilitate an Amazon type company because going from one location to another takes hours when it should take 15 minutes when there's no traffic.

bluesky

ELITE MEMBER
Jun 14, 2016
Country
Bangladesh
It's always the same answer from people when I talk about the size of BD roads and infrastructure.

The congestion is the problem. Making roads and infrastructure wider is the solution. There IS enough land. Singapore by density is higher than BD but their roads are wide and buildings are large. When we make a bridge, even that is only two lanes per direction. When at minimum a road must have 3 lanes, and each lane must be at least 10 ft to 12 ft wide. I don't think we even have rules for what constitutes a lane.

What is preventing that bridge from being wider when there is nothing but empty space around it? If there is an accident or build up on a 2-lane bridge, that stops the entire bridge. But if it has 3-4 lanes, then you can just drive past the obstructed part. Our urban planners have absolutely no design sense.

If you look at a satellite map, there is nothing but empty land and fields. Humans live in congestion. There is nothing preventing us from bigger roads, or building a completely new city from scratch with proper ordinance laws. Even the new neighborhoods they're building on Dhaka's outskirts are with narrow roads. This city will be unlivable in 20 years. This country will be unlivable in 100 years.

When you build a narrow highway, it immediately brings shops and buildings on the side of the road. Thereby preventing it from ever expanding. Which is why when you build it the first time, it needs to be as wide as possible.

If we built wider roads and buildings, there will be significant alleviation of poverty, and in turn actually reduce population growth naturally. The US highway system is a major part of its prowess. If we have less traffic jams, it would open up far more business opportunities than you can imagine. Currently, we can't even facilitate an Amazon type company because going from one location to another takes hours when it should take 15 minutes when there's no traffic.
Do you think this Forum will give any solution to narrow roads? Do not talk about Dhaka because the roads there cannot be rectified without destroying the houses and shops. So, it is impossible.

I talked about Zilla roads that can be modified and expanded by filling up the road-side ditches with soil carried from the chars. Do you think there are many other options? Tell us what they are instead of nagging.

Do not please talk about Singapore. It was built by educated leadership who knew the future. Our leaders are a bunch of peasants many of are educated but lack knowledge except how to steal govt money.

Fortress

New Recruit

Dec 20, 2018
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
Do you think this Forum will give any solution to narrow roads? Do not talk about Dhaka because the roads there cannot be rectified without destroying the houses and shops. So, it is impossible.

I talked about Zilla roads that can be modified and expanded by filling up the road-side ditches with soil carried from the chars. Do you think there are many other options? Tell us what they are instead of nagging.

Do not please talk about Singapore. It was built by educated leadership who knew the future. Our leaders are a bunch of peasants many of are educated but lack knowledge except how to steal govt money.
Ironic you're complaining to me about nagging.

Anyways, i was just sharing my view. I know Dhaka can't be fixed, that's why I suggested building a new city from scratch.....something many countries have done, including Nigeria. And even Indonesia is considering doing, since Jakarta is literally sinking.

I'm not disagreeing with whatever roads you are talking about. The city's urban planners have no design sense, as i said.

Also, Dhaka is being expanded. Nothing has been built in those newer neighborhoods like Purbachal area. Nothing to be demolished. Just bad road and grid design from the onset.

bluesky

ELITE MEMBER
Jun 14, 2016
Country
Bangladesh
Ironic you're complaining to me about nagging.

Anyways, i was just sharing my view. I know Dhaka can't be fixed, that's why I suggested building a new city from scratch.....something many countries have done, including Nigeria. And even Indonesia is considering doing, since Jakarta is literally sinking.

I'm not disagreeing with whatever roads you are talking about. The city's urban planners have no design sense, as i said.

Also, Dhaka is being expanded. Nothing has been built in those newer neighborhoods like Purbachal area. Nothing to be demolished. Just bad road and grid design from the onset.
Instead of nagging, why do not you give us a big solution to Dhaka and the country's woos? Problem solved. However, you are keeping yourself busy with many complaints, instead!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)