Second, third tier Baloch militants surrendered or killed Home / Today's Paper / National / Second, third tier Baloch militants surrendered or killed By Zahid Gishkori August 29, 2016 Print : National 0 0 ISLAMABAD: The Balochistan government has claimed to have either eliminated or coerced into surrender the second and third tier leadership of rebel organisations and is now focusing on disassociating their exiled top leaders from the outfit cadres on the ground. Officials’ claim comes at a time when there is an increase in violence across the province in recent months after two years of a fragile calm. Over 600 rebels were killed in 1, 234 combing operations jointly conducted by the law-enforcement agencies in last 13 months, reveal official figures accessed by Geo News (ASKKS Programme)/The News. Over 15 key commanders of banned outfits were also killed in recent operations started by the Frontier Corps, Levies and counter-terrorism forces with the help of information collected through the Intelligence Fusion Cell (IFC) in the province. Over 1, 025 Ferraris have also surrendered under the government’s efforts to bring Baloch dissidents into the national mainstream by engaging all stakeholders to execute peace programme announced by Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif last year. “Our policy offering them [Ferraris] a carrot and using a stick is bearing fruits now,” said Balochistan government spokesperson Anwar-ul-Haq Kakar. It’s a positive and productive development — the policy of reconciliation to bring rebels into national mainstream will be continued, Kakar told The News. Official data revealed that the top commander of banned Baloch Liberation Army (BLA) Aslam Achou alias Merick Baloch was killed with his eight ring leaders in Sibbi four months ago. Some 87 activists of BLA also surrendered under peaceful programme earlier this year. Before entering into national mainstream they were targeting public installations, law-enforcement agencies, foreigners and government servants in Noshki, Quetta, Dera Bugti and Kohlu. The FC personnel killed chief operational leader of banned Baloch Liberation Front (BLF) Dr Manan with his accomplices in Awaran eight months ago. Around 112 Ferraris working for the BLF joined the national mainstream recently. Before laying arms they were targeting mega projects, exploration work, settlers and foreigners in Kachh, Gawadar, Awaran and Turbat. Law-enforcement agencies killed key leader of Baloch Republican Army (BLA) Cheela Reesh in Sui in March this year after around 114 activists of BLA surrendered in Jafferabad, Naseerabad, Bolan, Dera Bugti and Sibbi. They were targeting police, security forces and government installations. Over 67 militants who worked with the banned Baloch Liberation United Front, an offshoot of Bugti tribes, also surrendered under the peace programme last year. Before laying down the arms they had targeted prominent personalities, Shafiq Khan, provincial minister; and John Soleiki, chief of American UNHCR sub-office in Balochistan in particular. A key leader Abdul Nabi Bangulzai of United Baloch Army (UBA) was killed in Qallat in April while another key commander of UBA Wali Mohammad alias Haji Katali laid down the arms. They had targeted law-enforcement agencies in Quetta. Police in a joint operation also killed Kingpin of Lashkar-e-Jhangvi (LeJ), Usman Saifullah Kurd last year. LeJ activists under Mr. Kurd’s command were targeting Hazaras in Mastung, Bolan and Quetta. Over 65 Ferraris of Lashkar-i-Balochistan also surrendered this year. Before entering into mainstream, they were targeting government servants in Khuzdar and its adjacent areas.