• Saturday, November 18, 2017

Saudi Arabia 'allows Yoga as sports activity':

Discussion in 'Central & South Asia' started by ashok321, Nov 14, 2017 at 9:56 PM.

1. ashok321

ashok321 ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4 / 7,718 / -2
    Canada
    Saudi Arabia 'allows Yoga as sports activity':

[​IMG]

The Saudi Arabian government has approved the practice of yoga as a sports activity, claimed a social media post of Nouf Marwaai, founder of the Arab Yoga Foundation in the Saudi kingdom.

'Yoga, which literally means 'union'. A union of individual with ones well-being, a body to mind, emotions & soul, nation to globe has officially arrived at the sea shore of Saudi Arabia. It has crossed the boundaries of fundamentalism...ideological extremism,' she said in a Facebook post dated November 12.

However, the account is not verified by the social media site.

She also wrote that since, its inception in Saudi, 'Yoga has observed a topsy-turvy path, with me as a medium. God gave me strength to fight all difficulties, real difficulties. God was with me as an observer and infused courage in me whenever required. Here is a day, that finally practicing yoga is no more a deviant behaviour in Saudi.'

She also thanked the Indian government and the consulate general for 'unlimited' support.

This development comes at a time when many Muslims in India and elsewhere are under pressure from their religious leaders not to practice yoga which they claim is 'un-Islamic'.

Last week, Rafia Naaz, a woman yoga teacher in Ranchi, was allegedly threatened by members of her community after she performed yoga.

Yoga has been promoted in a big way by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and with concerted efforts by the government, the United Nations has also declared June 21 as 'International Yoga Day'. -- PTI

2. Iqbal Ali

Iqbal Ali SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0 / 3,135 / -3
    Pakistan
  3. Mr.Nair

Mr.Nair BANNED

Ratings:
    +3 / 9,151 / -7
    India
    Yoga is in every where, In US 10% of population do yoga....almost 30 million people

4. Iqbal Ali

Iqbal Ali SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0 / 3,135 / -3
    Pakistan
    I have yet to see yoga in Saudi Arabia.

I don't have time for garbage like Yoga.

5. Mr.Nair

Mr.Nair BANNED

Ratings:
    +3 / 9,151 / -7
    India
    Yoga in Paris

6. 313ghazi

313ghazi FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6 / 955 / -0
    Pakistan
    I've never tried Yoga but as I get older I do feel the need for a good stretch in the morning.