What's new

Russian submarine hits UK warship’s sonar during chase in North Atlantic

Muhammed45

BANNED
Oct 2, 2015
Country
Iran, Islamic Republic Of
A Russian submarine collided with a British warship’s sonar during a chase in the Arctic Circle.

The Ministry of Defence (MOD) has confirmed for the first time that the crash took place with the Royal Navy submarine in late 2020.

The Russian submarine struck HMS Northumberland’s towed array sonar - a cable covered in hydrophones - which it was trailing hundreds of metres behind it.
HMS Northumberland had been tracking the submarine 200 miles north of Scotland before it reportedly disappeared from the ship’s radar.

The MOD rarely comments on operations but did so because the crash was caught on camera while Channel 5 were filming for its Warship: Life at Sea series.

Pakistan Space Agency

Apr 22, 2019
Country
Pakistan
Obsolete Russian Navy sub was caught by the British warship with a "towed array sonar - a cable covered in hydrophones - which it was trailing hundreds of metres behind it."

mhosein

New Recruit

May 8, 2018
Country
Pakistan
It would be interesting to know which submarine was it of the Russian Navy. As I understand, Russia has deployed two new classes of submarines and they are by far one of the most formidable submarines ever built.

Ali_Baba

May 27, 2018
Country
United Kingdom
Lots of these events happened during the cold war - collisions and mishaps as they played cat and mouse games in the Atlantic. But that old ship certainly nailed that sub for sure -

Oldman1

ELITE MEMBER
May 28, 2011
Country
United States
It would be interesting to know which submarine was it of the Russian Navy. As I understand, Russia has deployed two new classes of submarines and they are by far one of the most formidable submarines ever built.
Considering that the UK is tracking it, if I was Russian I be worried.

mhosein

New Recruit

May 8, 2018
Country
Pakistan
Considering that the UK is tracking it, if I was Russian I be worried.
Vigilant, yes ... worried, no. In the end, it boils down to numbers and that's one thing uk does not have. Russia has taken the necessary steps to ensure it has qualitative technological advantage over its territory against any adversary.

Oldman1

ELITE MEMBER
May 28, 2011
Country
United States
Vigilant, yes ... worried, no. In the end, it boils down to numbers and that's one thing uk does not have. Russia has taken the necessary steps to ensure it has qualitative technological advantage over its territory against any adversary.
Considering Russia is dealing with multiple European navies alone, Europe would have the advantage in quantity category.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom