What's new

Russian Deputy Defence Minister meets Ambassador of Bangladesh to Russia

Michael Corleone

Oct 27, 2014
Country
Bangladesh
One wonders what prospects of bilateral cooperation in the military and military-technical fields were discussed.

Are we talking MRSAM or some kind of missile ToT? Maybe Subs?

Or maybe ToT for the local assembly of prop trainers?

@Ronin bhai your thoughts unless we need to keep mum at this point.
prop hurkus most probably

Michael Corleone

Oct 27, 2014
Country
Bangladesh
Well they did offer ballistic missile in a previous discussion. And there was talks about S-350, Buk SAM and Inu miya leaked info about Kilo but that's it. As long as there's CAATSA, Rohingya issue don't get your hopes too high or should i say don't expect anything from Russia at all. Other good options are available for SAM, missile and TOT. Russian Lada still doesn't have AIP. Chinese, Korean sub will be the front-runner for future sub fleet for sure.

**You sure love tank destroyer, don't you? 😄

Wasn't there a rumor about getting an assembly plant for BTR-80 years ago. Thank god we didn't get it. BTR-80 can't withstand heavy blast. Look what happened to it in Chechnya and Mali. There are lot better amphibious APCs available today in market with better protection, various types of armaments.

Bangladesh should locally produce one of them with ToT or joint venture as we have requirement of thousands of amphibious APCs. ARMA 8x8 could be one of them as BD-Turkey ties greatly improved. Or luckily in solo project with or without foreign assistance. I hope we can watch 6th Defense Port, Turkey online where they will discuss about it, expecting something to learn and happen there.

View attachment 670410

View attachment 670316
BTR vulnerability was a known fact even when it was new... the main benefit is it can transport many troops fast and cheap through obstacles... not designed to be used in IED environment, no manufacturing plant... only overhaul plant and i think we already did it... correct me if im wrong

saif

New Recruit

Sep 4, 2006
As far as I know, we have a repair facility for BTR-80 APC. BTR-80 may have weak protection but its operational cost is much lower than other APCs in the market. So, huge number of BTR-80s can be deployed by the army at minimal cost.

Bilal9

ELITE MEMBER
Feb 4, 2014
Country
Bangladesh
As far as I know, we have a repair facility for BTR-80 APC. BTR-80 may have weak protection but its operational cost is much lower than other APCs in the market. So, huge number of BTR-80s can be deployed by the army at minimal cost.
Like others have said, the biggest issue of the BTR-80 is thin armor (not strong enough to withstand IED blasts) and that 'suicide door' on the side, which is wide open for exiting soldiers to get shot.

Someone must have been swilling some Stolichnaya Vodka when designing this thing. The problem was corrected with a rear opening door in later designs. Which is the standard for other APC's and IFV's.

But BTR-80 actually was designed at a time when this type of urban close quarters fighting was not even a doctrine consideration.

My main reason for preferring a wheeled-tank (as opposed to a tracked one) is mobility. Plus amphibious capability - if that is something the BTR-80 can do.

In any case, BTR-80 successor is already the new Bumerang in Russia, which is much more capable. But it is magnitudes more expensive. which is something to consider, given these things are rarely if ever going to be used in a combat scenario for us. All dressed up for the ball, with nowhere to go....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)