What's new

Record ships dock at Mongla

DalalErMaNodi

May 12, 2020
Country
Bangladesh
The vessels are carrying liquefied petroleum gas, fertilizer, fly ash and cargo containers

1603719649372.png

Mongla port is improving gradually due to the government's numerous measures and steps taken by the port authority. The number of both local and foreign commercial vessels to the port is on the rise.

Six foreign ships berthed at Mongla port at the same time Monday, which is a record for the second largest seaport of the country since its inception.

The Mongla Port Authority says the port is now abuzz with economic activities counteracting the pandemic shock. The authorities also referenced the government measures to enhance the port's capacity and navigability.

The commercial vessels that anchored at the port jetty Monday were Sri Lankan liquefied petroleum gas tanker, Gas Challenger, Liberian flag carriers, Daisy and HR Revolution, Singaporean flag carrier, Kota Hormat, Tuvalu's World Air Freight and Auckland's Marshall Islands.

The vessels are carrying liquefied petroleum gas (LPG), fertilizer, fly ash and cargo containers. Of the moored vessels, two ships were with a draft of 7 meters.

Mongla Port Authority said Mongla port is improving gradually due to the government's numerous measures and steps taken by the port authority. The number of both local and foreign commercial vessels to the port is on the rise.

Earlier, larger ships were not able to anchor at Mongla port jetty due to navigability crisis of Pasur River. Capital dredging has resolved the anchoring issue.

Rear Admiral M Shahjahan, chairman of the Mongla Port Authority, said the seaport is a beacon of hope for the country's economy. Even during the pandemic-led countrywide shutdown, the port has continued its operations.

He said the government has completed more than 50 development projects, including 14 to enhance the port's capacity. Port usage is increasing by about 16% per year.

Source

Last edited:

SpaceMan18

Aug 10, 2020
Country
Bangladesh
Currently, at least five foreign ships have now been unloading goods in a day Ships anchored at the Mongla Port.

View attachment 682778
Ships anchored at the Mongla Port.

With enhancing capability of the Mongla Sea Port (MPA), a total of 11 foreign ships now berthed at the second largest seaport of the country, an official release said.

Currently, at least five foreign ships have now been unloading goods in a day, says a MPA press release issued by its deputy secretary Md Makruzzaman last evening.

Among the five ships, a foreign ship namely 'Daigy' came from Liberia docked with Cargo, Kotaria 0479 W, and Kotahormat from Singapore berthed with container, Honor PESCADARS from Panama was anchored with Cargo and Malaysia Star, a ship of Malaysia, was moored with cars, it said.

With the five, a total of 11 foreign ships have been anchored at the jetty, it added.

The government has taken various epoch making steps to enhance capability of Mongla Port.

Source
Does Bangladesh have plans to dock like ships big as something like the Triple E Maersk ships ?

Like when the port Matarbari will be completed , I'm sure bigger ships will want to dock there that isn't 8,000 TEU ? Do they have plans for that

DalalErMaNodi

May 12, 2020
Country
Bangladesh
Does Bangladesh have plans to dock like ships big as something like the Triple E Maersk ships ?

Like when the port Matarbari will be completed , I'm sure bigger ships will want to dock there that isn't 8,000 TEU ? Do they have plans for that

Matarbari Port - Source Source II

The fourth seaport of the country – after Chattogram, Mongla, and Payra – will be set up at Matarbari in Cox's Bazar at an estimated cost of $2.1 Billion.

The port will have two separate 300-metre and 460-metre long terminals where ships with 8,000 TEU (twenty-foot equivalent unit) containers – four times higher than the Chattogram Port can dock because of the 16-meter draft at the port channel.

The Chattogram Port Authority and the Roads and Highways Department will implement the Matarbari Port Development Project by December 2026.

At present, ships greater than 190-metre length and 9.5-metre draft cannot dock at the jetties at Chattogram Port, forcing the authorities to carry containers by feeder vessels to and from mother vessels.

In the first phase of construction, the container terminal will be built on 18 hectares, have a 460-meter berth, be able to accommodate 8,000 TEU vessels, and have an annual capacity of 600,000 to 1.1 million TEU.

Later, the container terminal will be expanded, comprise 70 hectares, have a 1,850-meter berth, and have a 2.8-million-tonne capacity.

Michael Corleone

Oct 27, 2014
Country
Bangladesh
Matarbari Port - Source Source II

The fourth seaport of the country – after Chattogram, Mongla, and Payra – will be set up at Matarbari in Cox's Bazar at an estimated cost of $2.1 Billion.

The port will have two separate 300-metre and 460-metre long terminals where ships with 8,000 TEU (twenty-foot equivalent unit) containers – four times higher than the Chattogram Port can dock because of the 16-meter draft at the port channel.

The Chattogram Port Authority and the Roads and Highways Department will implement the Matarbari Port Development Project by December 2026.

At present, ships greater than 190-metre length and 9.5-metre draft cannot dock at the jetties at Chattogram Port, forcing the authorities to carry containers by feeder vessels to and from mother vessels.

In the first phase of construction, the container terminal will be built on 18 hectares, have a 460-meter berth, be able to accommodate 8,000 TEU vessels, and have an annual capacity of 600,000 to 1.1 million TEU.

Later, the container terminal will be expanded, comprise 70 hectares, have a 1,850-meter berth, and have a 2.8-million-tonne capacity.
So what’s so deep about that deep sea port if it can’t handle ships the size of Triple E Maersk ships

DalalErMaNodi

May 12, 2020
Country
Bangladesh
So what’s so deep about that deep sea port if it can’t handle ships the size of Triple E Maersk ships

What are you on about ? Unless I'm missing something, we will be able to to handle such large ships within 6 years.

Triple E class has a draft of 16 meters and Matarbari will have a draft of 16 meters during initial stages, so It can handle Triple Es, the channel may be dug deeper in final stages of the project.

Don't forget Payra Deep Seaport is also under construction and the channel at current state has a depth of 14 meters but work is not finished yet.

I couldn't find any info on what the desired final draft will be but it goes without saying that it will be above 16 meters.

So we're getting not one but two ports with capable of handling ships with more than 16 meter drafts.

Chittagong Port Authority has hinted that they have big things in mind for CTG port, perhaps they can deepen the channel ? Not sure.

I still wish they hadn't scrapped the Sonadia port project. Maybe I'm wrong but Mongla Port is a showpiece, it has yet to prove that it was worth the construction cost.

Last edited:

SpaceMan18

Aug 10, 2020
Country
Bangladesh
What are you on about ? Unless I'm missing something, we will be able to to handle such large ships within 6 years.

Triple E class has a draft of 16 meters and Matarbari will have a draft of 16 meters during initial stages, so It can handle Triple Es, the channel may be dug deeper in final stages of the project.

Don't forget Payra Deep Seaport is also under construction and the channel at current state has a depth of 14 meters but work is not finished yet.

I couldn't find any info on what the desired final draft will be but it goes without saying that it will be above 16 meters.

So we're getting not one but two ports with capable of handling ships with more than 16 meter drafts.

Chittagong Port Authority has hinted that they have big things in mind for CTG port, perhaps they can deepen the channel ? Not sure.

I still wish they hadn't scrapped the Sonadia port project. Maybe I'm wrong but Mongla Port is a showpiece, it has yet to prove that it was worth the construction cost.
So I guess it can take bigger ships, like more than the normal 8,000 TEU listed amount

DalalErMaNodi

May 12, 2020
Country
Bangladesh
So I guess it can take bigger ships, like more than the normal 8,000 TEU listed amount

Let me just kill any confusion with one quick comment.

The world's largest container ship MSC Gülsün has a capacity of 24,000 TEU and requires a draft of exactly 16.5 meters.

Very few ships have a capacity over 20,000 TEU, More importantly, Bangladesh isn't on the route of such large ships.

The reason the number 8,000 comes up is because 8,000 TEU capacity ships are usually the ones that frequent Bangladesh and can't dock due to their large size.

Payra and Matarbari can accommodate even the world's most largest ships with their channel draft of 16 meter, which mind you, will be increased later on as and when required.

Nevermind that such a ship will never dock in Bangladeshi ports to begin with, but if they do, we can handle them.

So forget 8,000 TEU, we can handle anything the shipping industry currently uses.

Drafts of Bangladeshi ports :

Chittagong - 9.5m

Mongla - 8.5m

Payra (under construction) - 16m (Stage I)

Matarbari (under construction) - 16m (Stage I)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom