What's new

Pope cancels Pompeo meeting as China bishops deal up for renewal

Nan Yang

May 1, 2010
Country
Malaysia
Pope cancels Pompeo meeting as China bishops deal up for renewal
  • Vatican tells the US that meeting before November presidential election might be seen as sign of support for Donald Trump, Italian newspaper reports
  • But US secretary of state’s call for a tougher line on the Holy See’s agreement with Beijing might also be a factor, observer says
Eduardo Baptista
Eduardo Baptista

Published: 8:45pm, 28 Sep, 2020

Pope Francis has cancelled a planned meeting with US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo. Photo: AFP

Pope Francis has cancelled a planned meeting with US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo. Photo: AFP

Pope Francis has cancelled a meeting with the US’ top diplomat as it prepares to renew a deal on the appointment of Catholic bishops in China.

The Holy See told US diplomats that the Pope’s planned meeting with US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo had to be cancelled because it might be seen as a sign of support for US President Donald Trump’s re-election campaign, Italian newspaper La Repubblica reported on Sunday.

But Pompeo’s criticism of the Vatican’s continued talks with Beijing might have also been a factor, according to José Miguel Encarnação, a Macau-based commentator on religious affairs.

“This is not the best time for the Pope to receive someone from the Trump administration. If there wasn’t an election, he would find another reason [to not meet Pompeo],” Encarnação said.

In an article in the US religious journal First Things on September 18, Pompeo urged the Vatican to take a tougher line on the two-year provisional agreement it signed with Beijing in 2018 to allow each side to recognise the other’s appointment of bishops.

The comments were published just days before the deal was due to expire.

“At this moment, for the Holy See to receive the US secretary of state when this very person only days earlier called for the Holy See not to renew the agreement with China, this could be badly interpreted by China,” Encarnação said.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo (right) will not be meeting Pope Francis before the US presidential election in November. Photo: AFP

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo (right) will not be meeting Pope Francis before the US presidential election in November. Photo: AFP

William Nee, a China researcher at Amnesty International, said the Vatican was likely wary of being associated with Pompeo’s hard line on China.

“I think this [decision] comes in the context of Mike Pompeo being really the fiercest critic of China and the Communist Party that there is in the world and he is trying to lead a global coalition against Chinese influence,” he said.

But Nee said the Vatican could also be trying to avoid influencing the presidential election.
He said that over the last few election cycles, many Catholics had been swing voters and, with both political parties focused on winning them over this time, the Pope might be even more determined not to appear partisan.

“The Catholic vote is one of the crucial demographics in the US election. You have Catholics who are disproportionately living in Wisconsin, Michigan, Iowa, Pennsylvania. These are some of the most important swing states that could very well decide the US election,” he said.

Although Pompeo will not meet the Pope, he will still have the chance to bring up China in meetings with Vatican officials. He is expected to speak at the Holy See Symposium on Advancing and Defending International Religious Freedom through Diplomacy on Wednesday and meet Vatican Secretary of State Cardinal Pietro Parolin and Secretary for Relations with States Archbishop Paul Gallagher, according to the US Department of State.

Thank GOD ! 😇

FairAndUnbiased

Nov 25, 2011
Country
China
This pope is no Pope John Paul II, who took the communists head on...and won.
Why should pious believers allow themselves to be fooled by those who literally say "Greed is good?" Jesus himself said, as he smashed merchant's tables at the Temple of Jerusalem, "make not my Father's house into a place of commerce." - John 2:16

Meanwhile which country has commercial megachurches?

They are false believers. The hypocrite and apostate is worse than the unbeliever.

mike2000 is back

Apr 12, 2015
Country
United Kingdom
Why should pious believers allow themselves to be fooled by those who literally say "Greed is good?" Jesus himself said, as he smashed merchant's tables at the Temple of Jerusalem, "make not my Father's house into a place of commerce." - John 2:16

Meanwhile which country has commercial megachurches?

They are false believers. The hypocrite and apostate is worse than the unbeliever.
Agree to some extent that this needs to be addressed and talked about as well . However , it also applies to communist China where religion is not even allowed to prosper freely, as the communist party wants to control EVERY SINGLE THING including how people practice and follow their religion and which bishops should be appointed. In fact as far as I know, China IS THE ONLY COUNTRY IN THE WORLD THAT DOES THIS. Even Russia has long moved pass this stage. I don't know what he CCP is scared of. They should be more confident in themselves and their rule, instead of always being paranoid/suspicious about every single thing and difference in views. At most they can monitor these institutions and churches , but they shouldn't involve themselves in managing every single thing in these religions and trying to shape them according to the party wishes. That's just not the way to go forward in this aspect.

Last edited:

FairAndUnbiased

Nov 25, 2011
Country
China
Agree to some extent that this needs to be addressed and talked about as well . However , it also applies to communist China where religion is not even allowed to prosper freely, as the communist party wants to control EVERY SINGLE THING including how people practice and follow their religion and which bishops should be appointed. In fact as far as I know, China IS THE ONLY COUNTRY IN THE WORLD THAT DOES THIS. Even Russia has moved pass that stage. I don't know what he CCP is scared of. They should be more confident on themselves and their rule, instead of always being paranoid/suspicious about every single thing and difference in views. At most they can monitor these institutions and churches , but they shouldn't involve themselves in managing every single thing in these religions and trying to shape them according to the party wishes. That's just not the way to go forward in this aspect.
Chinese ideology since the Han Dynasty has been the imperial throne is the source of earthly authority. When religion is allowed to become the source.of earthly authority bad things have historically happened - Taiping Rebellion, Yellow Turban Rebellion, etc.

There's no hypocrisy here.

mike2000 is back

Apr 12, 2015
Country
United Kingdom
Chinese ideology since the Han Dynasty has been the imperial throne is the source of earthly authority. When religion is allowed to become the source.of earthly authority bad things have historically happened - Taiping Rebellion, Yellow Turban Rebellion, etc.

There's no hypocrisy here.
It just shows even after all this decades of rule , the CCP is still not sure and confident in itself to be honest.

FairAndUnbiased

Nov 25, 2011
Country
China
It just shows even after all this decades of rule , the CCP is still not sure and confident in itself to be honest.
No it is extremely confident actually. Being unconfident would mean giving up and allowing religion to take over and dictate the narrative like every 3rd world country. Being unable to impose your will is weakness, being able to impose your will is strength. I don't know how much simpler it can be. British Empire wasn't strong because it let London proles and colonized people go do it's own thing, it was strong because it imposed the will of the British crown on British proles and colonized alike.

mike2000 is back

Apr 12, 2015
Country
United Kingdom
No it is extremely confident actually. Being unconfident would mean giving up and allowing religion to take over and dictate the narrative like every 3rd world country. Being unable to impose your will is weakness, being able to impose your will is strength. I don't know how much simpler it can be. British Empire wasn't strong because it let London proles and colonized people go do it's own thing, it was strong because it imposed the will of the British crown on British proles and colonized alike.
This are different times we are talking about you can't compare the world we live in to that of the 19th century.
Moreover, we are talking about an internal matter in a said Country not how an empire treated it's colonies. Last I checked you are not comparing your own people to slaves/under colonial rule no?
The way a confident government treats its people should show it's confidence in itself and it's rule. The UK government won't go around dictating to every British person how they should follow a particular religion (if that said citizen wants to follow it anyway) and try to shape that religion according to say the Labour party or conservative party wishes/edicts. That's just not right and shows a fear and suspicion of that said religion towards it's rule/authority.
They don't need to be paranoid about everything. As I said, there are ways to monitor something without necessarily having to control and getting involved in every single aspect of that said thing.
As I said again, CHINA IS THE ONLY COUNTRY IN THE WORLD THAT DOES THIS. So go figure. The party should tone down its paranoia. A small percentage of Catholics (about 0.8% of its population ) won't shake it's rule. Lol.

FairAndUnbiased

Nov 25, 2011
Country
China
This are different times we are talking about you can't compare the world we live in to that of the 19th century.
Moreover, we are talking about an internal matter in a said Country not how an empire treated it's colonies. Last I checked you are not comparing your own people to slaves/under colonial rule no?
The way a confident government treats its people should show it's confidence in itself and it's rule. The UK government won't go around dictating to every British person how they should follow a particular religion (if that said citizen wants to follow it anyway) and try to shape that religion according to say the Labour party or conservative party wishes/edicts. That's just not right and shows a fear and suspicion of that said religion towards it's rule/authority.
They don't need to be paranoid about everything. As I said, there are ways to monitor something without necessarily having to control and getting involved in every single aspect of that said thing.
As I said again, CHINA IS THE ONLY COUNTRY IN THE WORLD THAT DOES THIS. So go figure. The party should tone down its paranoia. A small percentage of Catholics (about 0.8% of its population ) won't shake it's rule. Lol.
Britain wasn't nice at all to its own people. I assume you have read Hard Times and Oliver Twist. I assume you know of Oliver Cromwell. Hanging, drawing and quartering wasn't done to colonial people - they just got shot or hung - only to British. How was Australia settled? British enslaving other British as 'criminals'. How was Ireland pacified? British English genociding British Irish with a man made famine.

The British Crown's tyranny was unparalleled until the rise of Nazi Germany. Hence the American Revolution happened. British crown was even the first to invent concentration camps.

Like I said, this has historical precedence, and is the ultimate sign of a successful dynasty: to have no other source of authority within China's borders. Even in 1960s Americans questioned whether Kennedy would really be loyal to America or to the Vatican.

Nov 29, 2016
Country
China
Look like the Pope doesn't want to be seen supporting a conman, Trump didn't pay his tax for the past 10 years claiming falsehood and even when he does pay it's low compared to the average voter.

Place Of Space

Dec 6, 2014
Country
China
Agree to some extent that this needs to be addressed and talked about as well . However , it also applies to communist China where religion is not even allowed to prosper freely, as the communist party wants to control EVERY SINGLE THING including how people practice and follow their religion and which bishops should be appointed. In fact as far as I know, China IS THE ONLY COUNTRY IN THE WORLD THAT DOES THIS. Even Russia has long moved pass this stage. I don't know what he CCP is scared of. They should be more confident in themselves and their rule, instead of always being paranoid/suspicious about every single thing and difference in views. At most they can monitor these institutions and churches , but they shouldn't involve themselves in managing every single thing in these religions and trying to shape them according to the party wishes. That's just not the way to go forward in this aspect.
Foreigner pretend to know China series again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)