• Thursday, November 14, 2019

Paralysed sculptor to dedicate Shivaji statue to Armed Forces

Discussion in 'Indian Defence Forum' started by bhagat, Apr 18, 2011.

1. bhagat

bhagat FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0 / 698 / -0

Twelve years ago, a sudden stroke paralysed the right side of his body, but not his dexterity and creative vision. At 85, B R Khedkar, a sculptor of over 400 statues of various personalities, is all set to dedicate his 401st creation, a statue of Chhatrapati Shivaji, to Indian Armed Forces.
    Astride-a-horse statue of the legendary Maratha warrior, which is being sculpted at his studio, is the 26th full size statue of Shivaji that Khedkar has created. “I want it to be insatlled on the Indo- China border where it will inspire our jawans to fight like the Maratha warrior,” he said.

Last Tuesday, Khedkar, along with Anand Saraf of Sainik Mitra Parivar presented a proposal letter to President Pratibha Patil when she was in the city. “She appreciated the initiative and advised us also to approach the Ministry of Defence (MoD) and the headquarters of the Armed Forces,” said Saraf. The group now plans to approach the MoD and the Prime Minister’s Office.

Khedkar works on the 9.5-ft statue for around five hours a day in his studio. Working with his left hand, he has already finished the clay casting of the statue, the final version of which would be made of bronze.

“Facial expressions of the statue is something he gives maximum importance to. My sister Seema Shirke has been assisting him. We are hopeful that the statue would be completed within six months from now,” said Pratibha Ovhale, Khedkar’s daughter who is coordinating with the President’s office to accelerate the process.

Khedkar, who started doing sculptures at the age of seven, has not received any formal training. “The first statue he had created was that of Ganesha, but coincidentally it had the body of Shivaji. Born in 1926, it has been over 70 years that my father has been making statues of various personalities. The biggest statue of Shivaji that he has created is around 18-ft tall. It is installed at Shivaji University in Kolhapur,” Ovhale said.

Khedkar has his own philosophy behind dedicating this statue to the Indian Armed Forces . “In my life, I made statues on order. Now, I want to give it to someone I want and what better than the Armed Forces to gift the statue of a person who epitomises courage and strength. I wish the statue be installed on the border where jawans will get inspiration from the great Maratha warrior and fight for their nation.”

2. Nair saab

Nair saab SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0 / 6,741 / -5
    India
    JAI SHIVAJI JAY JAY BHAVANI...

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Nirvana

Nirvana BANNED

Ratings:
    +0 / 872 / -0
    Chatrapati shivaji maharaj Ki Jai.

Will be a good Idea to install the statue on Indo-Chini border

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Nair saab

Nair saab SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0 / 6,741 / -5
    India
    It was said Maharashtra government was going to make a huge statue & sanctuary in middile of Arabian sea...i wonder what happened to it...what amazed of this man is his religious tolerance...when he conquered a area then the first thing that he does is give protection to Mosques & Muslim Tombs...