What's new

Pakistan ranks sad 145th in Press Freedom Index after Military, MI, ISI, Government curbs on Media Freedom

AsianLion

ELITE MEMBER
Nov 1, 2010
Country
Pakistan
My Analysis is : Its an international campaign, and it should not effect Pakistanis like China does what it wants. A lot of censorship, blockages, and many PPP, PMLN, JUI-F stalwarts work overtime to bring back looters into government to destroy Pakistan and its Army for good is a work in process

Pakistan ranks sad 145th in Press Freedom Index after Army, ISI, Government curbs on Media Freedom

1622556978838.png

May, 2021

ISLAMABAD/ PARIS: The annual report by Reporters Without Borders (RSF) said Tuesday that journalism was at least partly blocked in nearly three-quarters of the 180 countries surveyed.

Its World Press Freedom Index found 73 countries "totally blocked or seriously impeded" journalism, while it was "constrained" in 59 others, adding that many governments had used the pandemic to worsen repression. The RSF ranked Pakistan 145 out of 180 in the 2021 World Press Freedom Index. The RSF had ranked Pakistan 159/180 back in 2013. It scored Pakistan at +1.34 in 2021 from 45.52 in 2020.

According to the organisation 10 journalists and media assistants were killed in 2021 upto April, while it claimed that 416 journalists were imprisoned. According to RSF the Pakistani media, which have a long tradition of being very lively, have become a priority target for the authorities.

The influence on media has increased dramatically since Imran Khan became prime minister in July 2018. There have been many cases of brazen censorship. Distribution of newspapers has been interrupted. Media outlets have been threatened with the withdrawal of advertising. The signals of TV channels that gave airtime to opposition representatives have been jammed, the report said about Pakistan.

Journalists, who dared to broach subjects deemed off limits, have been subjected to harassment campaigns. Several were abducted in 2020 in order to be told: “Stop covering unwelcome stories or your family won’t find you alive.”

After reining in the traditional media, the authorities have set about purging the Internet and social media of content not to its liking. To that end, the government is trying to step up online “regulation,” by which it clearly means censorship.

A new phenomenon is emerging – cyber-harassment campaigns by trolls against journalists, especially women journalists.

Reporters meanwhile continue to be at risk in the field, especially in Balochistan and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, where they are caught in the crossfire between the security forces and armed rebels. Four journalists were killed in 2020 in connection with their reporting, especially investigative reporting on corruption or drug trafficking. And, as has been the case for at least a decade, impunity for crimes of violence against journalists is total, the report said. The influence on journalism has increased in the country, it said.

The RSF secretary-general Christophe Deloire said in a statement, said: "Journalism is the best vaccine against disinformation." "Unfortunately, its production and distribution are too often blocked by political, economic, technological and, sometimes, even cultural factors." The report finds Eritrea, North Korea, Turkmenistan, China and Djibouti to have fared worst overall in this year´s RSF ranking. Norway, Finland, Sweden, Denmark and Costa Rica were ranked highest. The Middle East and North Africa region continues to be the most repressive for journalists, the report found, highlighting the worsening situation in Iran, Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Syria over the past year.

"In this region, still the toughest and most dangerous for journalists, the pandemic has exacerbated the problems that have long plagued the press, which was already in its death throes," it said. Malaysia recorded the worst deterioration, down 18 places in the ranking to 119, due in part to a recent "anti-fake news" law "allowing the government to impose its own version of the truth".
RSF said the global level of media freedom remained largely stable overall for the past year, but noted that the figures had deteriorated by 12 percent since the ranking was first launched in 2013.

Part of the problem is falling trust in journalists, fuelled by political polarisation and online misinformation. RSF noted a recent survey by the Edelman Trust that found 59 percent of respondents across 28 countries believed journalists deliberately misled the public.

The World Press Freedom Index is based on questionnaires sent to experts around the world, combined with data on abuse and acts of violence against journalists to form a picture that includes pluralism, media independence, self-censorship and other factors

Blacklight

PROFESSIONAL
Apr 9, 2017
Country
Pakistan
Hypothetical scenario: ISI i.e. the name of the dept, has been dissolved. ISI, in theory, it is not there any more, and PA does not have any political or media cell. Who will they blame now?

Death Professor

Sep 3, 2018
Country
Pakistan
China: Press Freedom Index 177
India: Pres Freedom Index 142

Give me progress like China and I will be happy if we land at being 170 or 175. Meanwhile, licking boots of the west and barely reaching at 120 or 130 with 0 progress. Lanat aisi press freedom index pe....

We have already given too much free hand to the media. There are 100's of channels doing jack shiat for the aam awam. They are only there for advertisements and that's it. Like thot's they should be, "begone". In list of priorities, the press freedom index, shouldn't be on the page or near the page or even in the room where priorities are getting discussed.

TheSnakeEatingMarkhur

Dec 26, 2018
Country
Pakistan
My Analysis is : Its an international campaign, and it should not effect Pakistanis like China does what it wants. A lot of censorship, blockages, and many PPP, PMLN, JUI-F stalwarts work overtime to bring back looters into government to destroy Pakistan and its Army for good is a work in process

Pakistan ranks sad 145th in Press Freedom Index after Army, ISI, Government curbs on Media Freedom

View attachment 749802

May, 2021

ISLAMABAD/ PARIS: The annual report by Reporters Without Borders (RSF) said Tuesday that journalism was at least partly blocked in nearly three-quarters of the 180 countries surveyed.

Its World Press Freedom Index found 73 countries "totally blocked or seriously impeded" journalism, while it was "constrained" in 59 others, adding that many governments had used the pandemic to worsen repression. The RSF ranked Pakistan 145 out of 180 in the 2021 World Press Freedom Index. The RSF had ranked Pakistan 159/180 back in 2013. It scored Pakistan at +1.34 in 2021 from 45.52 in 2020.

According to the organisation 10 journalists and media assistants were killed in 2021 upto April, while it claimed that 416 journalists were imprisoned. According to RSF the Pakistani media, which have a long tradition of being very lively, have become a priority target for the authorities.

The influence on media has increased dramatically since Imran Khan became prime minister in July 2018. There have been many cases of brazen censorship. Distribution of newspapers has been interrupted. Media outlets have been threatened with the withdrawal of advertising. The signals of TV channels that gave airtime to opposition representatives have been jammed, the report said about Pakistan.

Journalists, who dared to broach subjects deemed off limits, have been subjected to harassment campaigns. Several were abducted in 2020 in order to be told: “Stop covering unwelcome stories or your family won’t find you alive.”

After reining in the traditional media, the authorities have set about purging the Internet and social media of content not to its liking. To that end, the government is trying to step up online “regulation,” by which it clearly means censorship.

A new phenomenon is emerging – cyber-harassment campaigns by trolls against journalists, especially women journalists.

Reporters meanwhile continue to be at risk in the field, especially in Balochistan and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, where they are caught in the crossfire between the security forces and armed rebels. Four journalists were killed in 2020 in connection with their reporting, especially investigative reporting on corruption or drug trafficking. And, as has been the case for at least a decade, impunity for crimes of violence against journalists is total, the report said. The influence on journalism has increased in the country, it said.

The RSF secretary-general Christophe Deloire said in a statement, said: "Journalism is the best vaccine against disinformation." "Unfortunately, its production and distribution are too often blocked by political, economic, technological and, sometimes, even cultural factors." The report finds Eritrea, North Korea, Turkmenistan, China and Djibouti to have fared worst overall in this year´s RSF ranking. Norway, Finland, Sweden, Denmark and Costa Rica were ranked highest. The Middle East and North Africa region continues to be the most repressive for journalists, the report found, highlighting the worsening situation in Iran, Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Syria over the past year.

"In this region, still the toughest and most dangerous for journalists, the pandemic has exacerbated the problems that have long plagued the press, which was already in its death throes," it said. Malaysia recorded the worst deterioration, down 18 places in the ranking to 119, due in part to a recent "anti-fake news" law "allowing the government to impose its own version of the truth".
RSF said the global level of media freedom remained largely stable overall for the past year, but noted that the figures had deteriorated by 12 percent since the ranking was first launched in 2013.

Part of the problem is falling trust in journalists, fuelled by political polarisation and online misinformation. RSF noted a recent survey by the Edelman Trust that found 59 percent of respondents across 28 countries believed journalists deliberately misled the public.

The World Press Freedom Index is based on questionnaires sent to experts around the world, combined with data on abuse and acts of violence against journalists to form a picture that includes pluralism, media independence, self-censorship and other factors
Yellow Journalism is counted as Journalism only when it comes to Pakistan 😶

I mean in which country jurnos blame govt without proofs?

AsianLion

ELITE MEMBER
Nov 1, 2010
Country
Pakistan

Four journalists were killed in 2020 in connection with their reporting, especially investigative reporting on corruption or drug trafficking.

RSF noted a recent survey by the Edelman Trust that found 59 percent of respondents across 28 countries believed journalists deliberately misled the public.

TheSnakeEatingMarkhur

Dec 26, 2018
Country
Pakistan

Four journalists were killed in 2020 in connection with their reporting, especially investigative reporting on corruption or drug trafficking.

RSF noted a recent survey by the Edelman Trust that found 59 percent of respondents across 28 countries believed journalists deliberately misled the public.

GumNaam

ELITE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2016
Country
Pakistan
GOOD!

I've to see a concrete definition of "media freedom". right now, its basically barf & shit anything the journalist wants on print and camera. with this macheviliean rule that a journalist does not have to reveal his source(s), news outlets can basically cook up whatever the hell they want and create mass anarchy.

AsianLion

ELITE MEMBER
Nov 1, 2010
Country
Pakistan
Hamid Mir is a Pakistani journalist and author.

For some elements in Pakistan, it is not enough that I have been taken off the air. They want to see me behind bars. Last month, I was banned from appearing on the talk show I have hosted for two decades, “Capital Talk,” on Geo News. I was also stopped from writing my column in Pakistan’s most popular Urdu-language newspaper, Jang. Now I face the prospect of sedition charges. The maximum punishment under the law is life imprisonment.

My apparent crime was a speech I gave at a protest in solidarity with journalist Asad Toor last month. On the night of May 25, three unidentified men entered Toor’s apartment, tied him up and tortured him. It was the latest in a series of attacks on journalists in Pakistan’s capital, Islamabad. We know about some of the attacks, but most have not been reported.

Toor paid a price for his decision to speak out against his assailants. Within moments, he was accused of faking his wounds to seek fame. Pakistan’s information minister, Fawad Chaudhry, claimed that journalists stage the attacks to seek political asylum abroad. These remarks angered the journalists standing with Toor. For me, it was personal. It reminded me of the attempts on my own life, and how, after being shot six times, I was also accused of making it all up.
In my speech, I said that if the attacks on journalists don’t stop, we won’t remain silent. I didn’t name any individual or any organization, but my tone was harsh. I was quickly accused of maligning Pakistan’s top generals. A carefully coordinated campaign smeared me as a traitor on social media and, with suspicious haste, a flurry of complaints was filed against me around the country. Management of my TV channel informed me that I wouldn’t be able to host my show. They took this action without any court order or showing any notice of cause. Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch and the International Commission of Jurists denounced the pressure brought on media owners “to shut down critical voices.”
Pakistani journalism organizations decided to defend me in the courts, but they asked me to explain my position because I had spoke on their platform. I clarified that I never named anyone in my speech and I respect the army as an institution, but that I can’t remain silent on attacks against journalists. I even asked to be excused if my harsh tone caused any inconvenience to anyone, but reiterated my demand that attacks on journalists must come to an end.

In 2007, the then-military dictator, Gen. Pervez Musharraf, banned me for several months when he imposed a state of emergency. In 2012, a bomb was found under my car after I criticized the Taliban’s attack on Malala Yousafzai. I still carry two of the bullets inside my body from when I was nearly killed in 2014. After that, I faced allegations of blasphemy, but I was cleared by a court of law.
The attempt to charge me with sedition is part of a well-organized war on dissent in Pakistan. Journalists, human rights activists, politicians and academics have all been charged under the law. It is deliberately vague, and broad terms enable its abuse. You can be charged with sedition for merely “liking” a Facebook post, for drawing a cartoon or for making a speech. Two members of Parliament from the opposition are currently facing sedition charges. One, Mian Javed Latif, was recently released on bail. The other, Ali Wazir, has languished in a cell for the past six months.
The sedition law — 124-A of the penal code — is a 19th-century British instrument of colonial repression. It was used to arrest the father of India, Mahatma Gandhi, who famously said it was “designed to suppress the liberty of the citizen.” The founder of my country, constitutional lawyer Muhammad Ali Jinnah, defended journalists accused of sedition in court — and won.

Ironically, the same governments that pride themselves on their patriotism today remain beholden to archaic British traditions. In India, the Modi government has wielded the sedition law to target academics, lawyers, activists and students. In Bangladesh, Sheikh Hasina’s government has sought to silence journalists reporting on human rights violations and corruption. And in Pakistan, an attempt to finally rid us of the law was defeated last year by Prime Minister Imran Khan’s government in Parliament.
Alongside old draconian laws come new ones. The Pakistani government recently proposed a law to establish a body called the Pakistan Media Development Authority. It would have introduced media tribunals to decide what can and cannot be said or written, without notice or a hearing. Offenders would be punished by up to three years in prison and millions of rupees in fines. This law would enforce total silence in Pakistani media.
Journalists, lawyers and human rights activists all condemned the draft law with one voice. This new show of unity offers a ray of hope. If we all speak loudly and without fear, I’m certain that we will be heard. This is how our forefathers resisted British rule, and it’s how we’ll continue to resist the colonial mind-set that seeks to silence us today.

Big_bud

May 20, 2021
Country
Pakistan

View attachment 749802

May, 2021

Thanks to fake propoganda by likes of Hamid Mir, Matiullah Jaan and this recent clown Asad Ali Toor. There is less press freedom in western countries than Pakistan. Some times it is done just to get assylum visa and get settled abroad. Mostly nonsense stuff with foreign support & funding, some NGOs who join in because to get funds you must be "fighting" for some cause otherwise where will the next pay cheque come from?
Hypothetical scenario: ISI i.e. the name of the dept, has been dissolved. ISI, in theory, it is not there any more, and PA does not have any political or media cell. Who will they blame now?
They will say it still exists as an underworld mafia! 😂 The world is obsessed with ISI and Pakistani military! Whereas fully trusts the balls scratching, narra hanging Nawaz! Such irony!
China: Press Freedom Index 177
India: Pres Freedom Index 142

Give me progress like China and I will be happy if we land at being 170 or 175. Meanwhile, licking boots of the west and barely reaching at 120 or 130 with 0 progress. Lanat aisi press freedom index pe....

We have already given too much free hand to the media. There are 100's of channels doing jack shiat for the aam awam. They are only there for advertisements and that's it. Like thot's they should be, "begone". In list of priorities, the press freedom index, shouldn't be on the page or near the page or even in the room where priorities are getting discussed.
You will be surprised how much these anchors get paid for their prime time drama! An insider source from dunya tv informed me that Mr. Kamran Khan used to get paid 1 crore per month and even then often demand things on top from the channel!

AZADPAKISTAN2009

ELITE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2009
Country
Pakistan
:coffee: 8-)

Don't see any problem lot of Talk Show political Talk show talking about "Donkey Biryani" to "Khachar Korma"
Lot of reporting of Zameen Dar Action on poor farmer in low grade news papers. Many Lifafa writers praising Nawaz Sharif's Makan wali Lassi from his 12 cows. Just recently they covered Nawaz Sharif is watching Polo match in London, wah ji wah , convicted felon in London watching Polo Match :meeting:

If we had the proper oversight there would , artistic Writers , writing witty Articles about beautiful Pakistan , and PHD researchers publishing articles about Science and Technlogy in Science Section of News paper. Every month a new documentary was aired on Internet , distributed world wide from TV channel

If we had proper News Reporting Agency , we would be organized like Turkey in International Quality reporting

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom