• Friday, December 13, 2019

Pakistan crisis puts army back in the driving seat

Discussion in 'Pakistani Siasat' started by Contrarian, Aug 20, 2014.

1. gubbi

gubbi SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1 / 4,386 / -0
    India
    How is that a more corrupt (according to you guys) politician like Zardari could hold on to the reigns of power for his full term (and also the PPP govt), but a "popular" Punjabi politician like NS faces so much ire and discontent among the masses and the army? How and why was the army silent during Zardari's spell? Speaks a lot about his capability of being a politician, no?
    Although I have heard many a sentiment of Zardari being disliked, he knew how to play the field 'fairly' (i.e. in political terms). IMHO, for Pakistan to be a real democracy, it needs such politicians atleast for the short term future.

2. Bang Galore

Bang Galore ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +17 / 22,648 / -5
    India
    NS seems to be a more foolish politician. He "selected" an army chief of his choice(same as the last time with Musharraf) who is then obliged to prove to the army that he is his own boss & no one's lackey. Putting in the senior-most in that position would have removed that problem since that CoAS would have seen it (his elevation) as a procedural right rather than a favour & would not need to prove anything. Secondly, being stubborn about Musharraf even after the Army expressed its unhappiness means that he simply does not learn his lessons very well. No matter what his animosity, it would have been far better for him to have done a favour to the Generals by releasing his "enemy" rather than get into a confrontation where they don't like him in the least. Magnanimity might have worked a lot better than cussedness to the grave.

3. Chak Bamu

Chak Bamu RETIRED MOD

Ratings:
    +67 / 6,842 / -0
    Pakistan
    That was more than twenty years ago in reaction to 'Sindh-card'. You need to d some research. After 1997 election results, all these things died away. You are a little late here.

You are a nutcase for advocating civil war. First you accuse Army, now you saying that you want to see if they make a mistake. It is hard to take you seriously.

4. Umair Nawaz

Umair Nawaz ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +10 / 11,052 / -29
    Pakistan
    LOL that is abt Usama It hasnt got anything to do with yr country what so ever.

5. Informant

Informant SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5 / 4,294 / -8
    United States
    Man such bombs of knowledge. Army is supporting N? Really? Have you been in the army? Do you interact with people in the armed forces? Seriously it is one institute that is secular. Where being Punjabi carries no weight. All that matters is politics and thats it. Civil war? Rest assured idiots like you will be alone. Smoked out and burnt out. You will never achieve "your way" get that drilled into your head. I speak this as a Pakistani, not a Punjabi.

N used the Punjab slogan once, and he recanted it since long. He used it to counter MQM and Sindhi ultra nationalists. It was wrong of Noora. Punjab by far is the most welcoming of provinces, unlike yours where Punjabi laborers get gunned down just for being Punjabi. Not a dig at you as you are my brother, but cut your bs holier than thou attitude.

@Hyperion @DESERT FIGHTER

6. Rude_Striker

Rude_Striker FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0 / 82 / -0
    Pakistan
    I don't think Mr.Zardari is a good politician ,he is just too good at playing the good guy.And if you call his politics the real politics then I don't know man coz I define politics differently.

7. Rude_Striker

Rude_Striker FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0 / 82 / -0
    Pakistan
    baddua na den bhai rehim!!! :D:D:D

8. Chak Bamu

Chak Bamu RETIRED MOD

Ratings:
    +67 / 6,842 / -0
    Pakistan
    There is more to it than a simple dynamic as you described.

Every COAS is bound by the interests of PA which they identify with that of the country in a security perspective. It is not possible to go against that to begin with. Most people support Army. Our politicians just have to improve their game. NS has some congenital faults that make themselves felt each time he assumes power.

9. gubbi

gubbi SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1 / 4,386 / -0
    India
    That's exactly why he is a very good politician. Politics is the last refuge of the scoundrels! One has to be very good at playing the game and IMHO, Zardari beats the rest of the lot in Pakistan. He even had the Pak Army reigns in his hands!! Now which politician in Pakistan can lay claim to such an achievement?
    Haali jo baddua lag rrahi hein, mustaqbil mein wohi dua lagegi.

10. Umair Nawaz

Umair Nawaz ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +10 / 11,052 / -29
    Pakistan
    dont open yr tiny mouth if u know nothing abt greatness of our armed forces.

11. qamar1990

qamar1990 SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3 / 5,698 / -8
    Pakistan
    stop teasing us…

12. Contrarian

Contrarian ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +18 / 10,654 / -14
    Thats actually not teasing. Its bad news for India.

Teasing on this is like cutting my own nose to spite you. India needs a strong and in-charge GoP not a lame duck.

13. Bang Galore

Bang Galore ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +17 / 22,648 / -5
    India
    I'm not for a moment believing that the only dynamics that exist in how a CoAS acts are fully captured in my argument, only that one could start on a better foot with someone who respects the PM fallowing a procedure rather than picking a favourite. You are right that PA's interpretation may possibly be different from the civilian government but absent animosity right at the beginning, the chances of resolving such matters to mutual satisfaction are higher than in the present case.

14. VelocuR

VelocuR SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5 / 6,831 / -0
    Pakistan
    India's typical propaganda.

:tdown::tdown::tdown::tdown::tdown::tdown::tdown::tdown::tdown::tdown::tdown::tdown::tdown:

15. Didact

Didact FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +22 / 1,322 / -0
    India
    Well, Ahem, Actually, this article is by Reuters, and the writer is one Mehreen Zahra-Malik, who is a Pakistani. You didn't even read the first word, like literally, the first word after the heading.......

But of course if you're going to declare Reuters a propaganda mouthpiece of GOI and the Pakistani reporter a closet Indian, I concede my position without further argument.