• Monday, February 18, 2019

Operation Zulfiqar & Sahiwal Tragedy.

Discussion in 'Pakistan's Internal Security' started by Horus, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Horus

Horus ADMINISTRATOR

Ratings:
    +387 / 91,948 / -0
    Pakistan
    Last month Operation Zulfiqar a two year long effort to liquidate the most resourceful and dangerous ISIS sleeper cell in Punjab province ended in absolute tragedy as the members of the Counter Terrorism Department of Punjab Police carried out a botched operation killing a score of civilians including children and a woman in a bid to target a wanted terrorist. Amid blundersome claims by Police officials and Media reports, the facts regarding this operation were absent from the public debate. Here is an effort to try and add proper context to the aforementioned operation. This post will not deal with the tragedy of killing civilians, as we've all heard what we need to hear. The purpose of this post is to provide context to how the operation culminated, its key characters and so on. While the operation succeeded in liquidating the ISIS sleeper cell in Punjab, it, unfortunately, ended in tragedy due to the ineptitude of the few.

Feedback is welcomed.

New Format - Sahiwal Incident-page-001.jpg New Format - Sahiwal Incident-page-002.jpg New Format - Sahiwal Incident-page-003.jpg New Format - Sahiwal Incident-page-004.jpg New Format - Sahiwal Incident-page-005.jpg New Format - Sahiwal Incident-page-006.jpg New Format - Sahiwal Incident-page-007.jpg New Format - Sahiwal Incident-page-008.jpg New Format - Sahiwal Incident-page-009.jpg New Format - Sahiwal Incident-page-010.jpg

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  2. Horus

Horus ADMINISTRATOR

Ratings:
    +387 / 91,948 / -0
    Pakistan
    New Format - Sahiwal Incident-page-011.jpg New Format - Sahiwal Incident-page-012.jpg New Format - Sahiwal Incident-page-013.jpg New Format - Sahiwal Incident-page-014.jpg New Format - Sahiwal Incident-page-015.jpg New Format - Sahiwal Incident-page-016.jpg New Format - Sahiwal Incident-page-017.jpg New Format - Sahiwal Incident-page-018.jpg New Format - Sahiwal Incident-page-019.jpg New Format - Sahiwal Incident-page-020.jpg

New Format - Sahiwal Incident-page-021.jpg New Format - Sahiwal Incident-page-022.jpg New Format - Sahiwal Incident-page-023.jpg New Format - Sahiwal Incident-page-024.jpg New Format - Sahiwal Incident-page-025.jpg New Format - Sahiwal Incident-page-026.jpg New Format - Sahiwal Incident-page-027.jpg New Format - Sahiwal Incident-page-028.jpg

• Thanks Thanks x 6
  3. QasimTraveler

QasimTraveler FULL MEMBER

New Recruit

Ratings:
    +1 / 51 / -0
    Norway
    Thank you for this, however as a layman (i.e. without any training in security analysis or strategic studies) I am not sure what is the main objective of this information?

• Is it to apprise the general public about the motives that led to the operation?
    • To absolve the CTD of the botched operation?
    • Is it a primer for a larger policy analysis brief?

The material is concise and well put and i understand more details are kept for (and should be) relevant personnel but maybe the presentation might include

• some more background on the parent organization of these people (and I am not sure if Zeeshan has been declared a terrorist because some media i went through was referring to his mother and some senator meeting).
    • the overall impact of curbing this unit on the activities of the larger violent non state actors.
    • What role the media (including citizen journalism) played in raising undue hype, creating awareness. Role of political parties?

I apologize if my lingo here is non-technical, as I said I am not trained academically in this field. I would like to understand the overall implication of this operation, how these people went on this path and what can be done to prevent it.

Again I apologize if the purpose of sharing this info was something else and I misunderstood the purpose.

=========
    P.S I really appreciate this BTW, I have read some other material you share in other threads and I really appreciate it. I think policy briefs should be shared by the relevant organizations. I understand NDU and NUST is training scholars but some work I read (and some workshops I attended) led me wanting more.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Mr.Cringeworth

Mr.Cringeworth FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0 / 388 / -1
    Pakistan
    Theres a thread already running on this.