British Police Watch Peshawar After Afridi Tribe Attack, June 23rd, 1930
This is the manner in which British military police kept strict vigilance over the city of Peshawar on the extreme tip of India, after frustrating attack of the Afridi. The latter a fierce tribe of mountaineers, are reported to be biding their time. The plan on aid of sympathizers within the city bounds. The Indian situation still boils.
The Sikh Restaurant With Signboard In Urdu And Punjabi "Khalsa Hotel Providing Jhatka Meat "Mahaparshad". This Street Now Has Gold Jewellers And Is Opposite Lady Reading Hospital And Bala Hissar Fort Peshawar.
Grindlays Bank Branch In Peshawar Saddar, Circa 1950's.
The historic overseas bank was established in London in 1828 as Leslie & Grindlay, agents and bankers to the British army and business community in India. Banking operations expanded to include the Indian subcontinent, the Middle East and elements of Africa and Southeast Asia.
It was styled Grindlay, Christian & Matthews in 1839, Grindlay & Co from 1843, Grindlay & Co Ltd from 1924 and Grindlays Bank Ltd in 1947 until its merger with the National Bank of India.
Captain Robert Melville Grindlay established a firm, Leslie & Grindlay, in London in 1828, to arrange passage to and from India for customers and their baggage. In time, the firm added private banking activities to its menu of services. Changes in partners caused the firm to change its name to Grindlay, Christian & Matthews in 1839 and Grindlay & Co. from 1843. Capt. R M Grindlay retired in 1852.
The firm remained based solely in London until 1854 when offices were opened at Calcutta in 1864 and then Bombay in 1865. These offices were largely autonomous, administered from London, until the local partners interests were bought out in 1908. Additional branches were opened in Simla (1912), Delhi (1923), Lahore (1924) and Peshawar (1926).
Grindlays was regarded as "pre-eminently bankers to the Indian Army" and it did little commercial banking. The failure of army bankers, Macgrigors, in 1922 and then the Alliance Bank of Simla in 1923, encouraged the Grindlays partners to seek the security of a larger organisation.
In 1924, the Bank was acquired by the National Provincial Bank, converted into a company and allowed to operate independently. When National Provincial decided to exit overseas banking in 1948, it sold Grindlays to the National Bank of India, in which it took a small share position.
Government Transport Service (GTS) Bus Stand On G.T Road Peshawar, Circa 1964
Khyber Medical College, Circa 1954.
In 1954, the foundation stone of Khyber Medical College, as faculty of Medicine, of Peshawar University, was laid by the then Governor General of Pakistan, Mr. Ghulam Muhammad. The College started functioning in 1955 with enrollment of fifty students with meager facilities.