Good list. It actually shows it was a team effort and not owned one person. Over the last decades some have tried to take exclusive credit. With regards to list I feel it does extreme injury to the contribution of Dr Abdus Salam who I think has been ignored as is the fashion in Pakistan these days because of his minority Ahmedi background. This is how I would place the list.Heroes of our nuclear programme:
I) Ayub Khan: Made good use of American atoms for peace programme to get a sizable number of local scientists and engineers trained in the relevant field .
2) Zulfiqar Bhutto: Envisaged a Pakistani nuclear test and motivated an entire generation of young Pakistanis to pursue this dream.
3) Dr Samar Mubarakmand: Led the team which designed of the war heads for both hot and cold testing.
4) A Q Khan: Pioneered our uranium enrichment programme, to provide "fuel" for the war heads.
5) Ghulam Ishaq Khan: The silent soldier and guardian of our nuclear quest. The financial wizard who ran the most complicated racket to finance the programme.
6) Agha Hasan Abidi: The great Gatsby of his time. The man who left the entire world in a tailspin with his financial wizardry to finance our nukes.
7) General K M Arif: oversaw the daily functioning of A Q Khan and PAEC's parallel efforts and presided over the cold testing of our warheads in 1983.
8) Zulfiqar Ahmed Butt: The spymaster from ISI who turned nearly every Pakistani embassy in Europe into a super espionage station to run the technology and machine procurement system with remarkable success and stealth.
9) Air Marshal Najeeb Akhtar: The man who re-mastered the war heads designed by our scientists into payload for the newly acquired F-16s, to develop aerial drop capability for Pakistan way before India.
10) Ishfaq Ahmed Khan: The brain behind the creation of nuclear testing fields within the bowels of Ras Koh mountains and the second mastermind behind the designing of our warheads after Samar Mubarakmand.
Courtesy: Umar Khayyam.