What's new

Next step in life at 30

Paul2

Nov 24, 2018
Country
United Kingdom
After losing my mother, my last living family at 30 in August I had a lot of things to think about. Still feeling a lot of blues.

For one, I am back to Kazakhstan to work on this accursed railway project which was an endless back, and forth in between a Chinese subcontractor, and Kazakhstanis. The giant theft in the project few years ago seemed to have been rectified, Chinese bank got the money, but only scraps for the contractor, just enough for them to last until spring, when we can hopefully sign off on our part, and get out of there.

Since I came back to China after living abroad for more than 15 years back in 2016, I had seem both highs, and lows of my home country. It was my first time spending any much time in China since nineties. Guangzhou got prettier, and Shenzhen actually turned into a splendid city of 20 millions out from a near warzone like place it was in nineties. HSR now cover much of the country. You can now travel from GZ to BJ in just 10-12 hour, back from a day or more if you rode a motorcycle, and stayed in rat infested roadside hotels, as we did with father before he had a car. The country is so much more laid back, and less hectic today. I remember, even villages around GZ had a constant commotion, and night life back in nineties.

At the same time, the plight of the industry is unanswered, and a lot of skilled, and talented people are leaving. Rich people leave because they have a lot to lose, and less well off because they don't. Factory rents are getting completely extreme, people long time owners of factories cede their leases for tens of millions of bucks, and go for a fancy retirement abroad, or trying something new elsewhere. I also, for the first time, got the smell of old red China returning. The few of my highschool mates who got high up, can't get any much of it more, and now want at least send off their spouses, or kids somewhere. Constant worry, and suspense is the atmosphere of the time. One thing for sure, my long time dream, and my reason for going back to China — opening my own factory, is now over. These 5 years though, were the best learning experience in my life on how to run a business — the knowledge I want to use now.

Going back to UK for my mother's funeral after years abroad, in Canada, and in China was a strange experience. UK was no longer an EU country, and EU travel documents were of no help. I almost begged the embassy for a compassionate visa, and this process changed my opinion of UK from bad, to worse. London felt definitely different. Certainly more visible minorities, less Chinese, and Eastern Europeans, but the biggest surprise was the whole of UK outside of London basically turning into East End — angry, frustrated, broke, and population don't seem to even comprehend why. Desis are now big politics, to my giant surprise, and were on TV more than UK aboriginal population. London is now universally derisively called Londonistan, with famed, successful, and wealthy now up in arms against locals — UK is no longer a country of rich man.

My current job, is the best job, and best paid job I had in my life. Infrastructure engineering was fun, even though I have nothing to show for CE credentials, but I still want to return to consumer electronics, can can do anything against this call. For one, the world has completely changed over the course of COVID, the globalisation is over. I will probably have no chance any better than now to start something myself, and for this reason I am preparing to leave my job behind, and prepare to sail on my own.

The South Asia, despite all of its problems still holds the biggest promise of all regions by accounts of everybody I knew in the industry, and met on my path. I called back few people over the week with whom I worked on projects in Pakistan, India, Bangladesh, Vietnam. Nobody of them themselves are sure where their respective countries are going. "We are going, going somewhere, but nobody is sure where." So as I, not knowing what to expect of the future, now preparing visas, and a leap of faith.

FairAndUnbiased

ELITE MEMBER
Nov 25, 2011
Country
China
So you want to become a high caste in India? Just have lots of money and know how to speak their language. Use flattery and never take promises, contracts, etc too seriously - because they won't.

May 7, 2012
Country
Pakistan
So you want to become a high caste in India? Just have lots of money and know how to speak their language. Use flattery and never take promises, contracts, etc too seriously - because they won't.
10/10 marks for figuring out what the guy is on about. To me it seems a rant with no direction. But then I don't have Chinese IQ.

Paul2

Nov 24, 2018
Country
United Kingdom
Out of all hanjians in line, it's probably not me you have to tell this. Xiaomi now makes more money in India, than in the rest of the world combined, though they went through soooo much cringeworthy stuff on the way... Duan had probably even more on his head. Anyways, India is not first on my list for sure.

FairAndUnbiased

ELITE MEMBER
Nov 25, 2011
Country
China
Out of all hanjians in line, it's probably not me you have to tell this. Xiaomi now makes more money in India, than in the rest of the world combined, though they went through soooo much cringeworthy stuff on the way... Duan had probably even more on his head. Anyways, India is not first on my list for sure.
If you are disappointed in rule of law and policy stability in China, I don't know what to tell you about India, Pakistan or Vietnam.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom