Jun 12, 2017
Country
Pakistan
Muslim student ordered to remove headscarf at famous fast food restaurant in UK
By News Desk
Published: December 2, 2017
7SHARES
SHARE TWEET EMAIL

McDonald’s has apologised after one of it’s employees referred to a patron’s headscarf as a ‘security threat’ and demanded that she remove it or leave the restaurant’s premises.

The woman, whom The Guardian identified as a British Muslim, was stopped by a guard who reportedly appeared shocked when she refused to comply with his demand. She filmed the encounter, a video of which was posted on Twitter by a friend of hers.

in conversation with Kumail Nanjiani and Gal Gadot

The guard is seen nonchalantly repeating his demand, responding to her request for a clarification by saying: “It’s just a matter of taking it off.” To this she replied: “It’s not just a matter of taking it off. I wear this for religious reasons and I’m not ashamed of it, and I will stand in line and I will get the food I want, because this isn’t OK.”

A bystander who questions the guards right to make such a demand is brusquely told off, with the guard saying: “It’s none of your business.” The staffer asked the woman to stop filming but she refused. Eventually the staff consented to serving her but she said, “I don’t want anything any more” when .

The student said the attack had left her shocked: “I thought: ‘It’s finally happening to me,’ like it has to so many hijabis. It didn’t feel real because I had seen so many videos like this and it was finally happening to me in real life. I was in so much disbelief.”

Muslim denied job in Delhi as hijab made her ‘look Muslim from distance of a kilometre’

“The friend I was with was shocked and scared, and said it was a risky situation. When it was over, I finally realised how these situations can become dangerous. This is not a one-off thing. I will never walk into a McDonald’s again,” she added.

A McDonald’s spokesman distanced the fast-food chain from the actions of it’s employee saying that the company “does not have a policy in place which restricts or prevents anyone wearing a hijab, or any other religious dress, from entering” any of it’s establishments.

She added: “We welcome customers of all faiths and would like to apologise to the customer as this situation should not have taken place. We are taking this matter extremely seriously and are addressing this with the individuals involved.”

BHarwana

Sep 24, 2016
Country
Pakistan
McDonald apologize because they also operate in Muslim countries and this move can spark effects on those outlets.

Shahzaz ud din

Jun 12, 2017
Country
Pakistan
McDonald’s apologises after employee told a Muslim woman to remove headscarf
  • The 19-years-old student was denied services at the fast-food chain because she was wearing a headscarf
World
by Web Desk | Published on December 2, 2017 (Edited December 3, 2017)

Facebook
Twitter
Reddit
LONDON- McDonald’s has offered an apology after a 19-years-old Muslim student was told she can’t enter the restaurant while wearing Hijab. The incident took place on Thursday at McDonald’s branch on Seven Sister’s Road in Holloway, London.

the 19-years-old, who has requested to keep her identity anonymous, recorded the video of the employee telling her that she will not be served until she removes her hijab.

The video was shared by her friend, who goes by the name of Sabrina, on Twitter and got the attention of media. According to Sabrina her friend was denied services at McDonald’s because she was wearing a Hijab. The victim started to record the incident and was told to stop but didn’t. Another customer present at the outlet jumped in and defended the teenage student against the security guard and employees at the store.

https://twitter.com/south_sab/status/936292520421724160
Sabrina@south_sab

My friend was refused service at a McDonalds today in London because she was wearing a Hijab. When she started recording the incident, she was told to stop but thankfully didn’t. Thank you to the kind man who defended her against the security guard and employees at the store...

Sabrina@south_sab
My friend was refused service at a McDonalds today in London because she was wearing a Hijab. When she started recording the incident, she was told to stop but thankfully didn’t. Thank you to the kind man who defended her against the security guard and employees at the store...

https://twitter.com/south_sab/status/936293395672326144
Sabrina@south_sab

We will be contacting the relevant authorities to ensure this is dealt with. It is disgusting that hate crimes and discrimination are so prevalent in this country, especially in such a diverse city like London. We cannot be silent bystanders to this hate.

• Sabrina also shared the video captured by her friend.

In the video, the young student, who is a British Muslim of Middle Eastern descent, asks the guard why she cannot come into the McDonald’s. To which he responds: “It’s just a matter of taking it off.”

She replies, “It’s not just a matter of taking it off. I wear this for religious reasons and I’m not ashamed of it, and I will stand in line and I will get the food I want because this isn’t OK,”.

McDonald’s has apologized to the student saying that the security guard pushed her to remove headscarf because of security reasons.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)