What's new

Monsoon season

Bilal9

ELITE MEMBER
Feb 4, 2014
Country
Bangladesh
Meant monsoon season
Hi - right now is transition time from hot summer (Mango Harvest etc.) to actual Monsoon (rainy season). Temperature will often exceed 100 degree F during the day), so people will avoid venturing outside unless absolutely necessary or in the evenings.

Thunderstorms are expected in next few weeks AFAIK which will make it cool down to mid 80's F.

Thunderstorms will increase as we go into June. And flooding will come down from the Himalayas through rivers, breach the river-banks and inundate rice fields.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/bd/dhaka/28143/daily-weather-forecast/28143?day=3

Last edited:

Atlas

Aug 2, 2018
Country
Bangladesh
Hello Bangladeshis,

How is the monsoon season going there?
Burning buddy ,burning season. We are inside oven. Specially perhaps methane gas in air ( as news sources claim) making weather hotter.

Monsoon will be after one month ( on paper though, as from few years monsoon became irregular) .

Bilal9

ELITE MEMBER
Feb 4, 2014
Country
Bangladesh
What a beautiful country! Video reminds me of my childhood, we used to go out in rain when we visited grandparents' houses in the village.
Yeah I remember looking at Pankouri (mudhens) walking across lotus leaves in the rain and scooping up tiny frogs. Ditto with the storks and other waterfowl.

The tiny frogs (Jhin Jhin Bang or Cricket frogs) come out in droves after a nice shower. Their cricket sound is familiar to anyone that has been to the Bangladesh countryside in the Monsoon.

At night you can hear the larger frogs calling out their girlfriends to fertilize the eggs. Kola Bang and Shona Bang.

Hoplobatrachus tigerinus (Daudin, 1802)
Shona Bang/Vaua Bang (Indian Bullfrog)

Kola Bang [ Jerdon’s Bullfrog or South Indian Bullfrog]
Hoplobatrachus crassus (Jerdon, 1854)

Apparently, we also have tree frogs in the wet forest areas of Sylhet...many varieties.

Rhacophorus maximus Günther, 1858
Boro Gecho Bang (Large Tree Frog) or

All described here,

Does Dhaka get flooded around that time?
I have a certain interest in bio-diversity issues,

The elevation of Dhaka is higher than the countryside however some occasional flooding does occur after heavy rains due to drainage issues as some of the water removal utility drains become clogged by debris.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Military Forum Latest Posts

Top Bottom