madrassas dens of gays, ban them: amu professor

jamahir

BANNED
Jul 9, 2014
Country
India
TNN | May 27, 2015, 01.32 AM IST
Madrassas-dens-of-gays-ban-them-AMU-professor.jpg

ALIGARH: An Aligarh Muslim University professor's alleged comments on madrassas that they are "dens of vice and homosexuality" has triggered a storm of protest in the campus.

The professor, Waseem Raja of the university's history department, has been accused of saying in a WhatsApp message that he sent to a TV channel that "maulanas are involved in such activities" and that the fortunes of Muslim youth will only change for the better if madrassas in the country are banned.

Chat grabs show Raja saying, "We want removal of madarsa... Where homo sexuality is rampant...Maulanas are part of it".

The professor, who has been teaching in AMU for the past three decades, has, however, denied he said any such thing. "I did not say anything like that," he told TOI on Tuesday. "I have been part of SAARC conferences in the past and I have always spoken about reformation of the community. Are madarsas not part of the community? That does not mean I said such things, my phone was hacked and I have blocked the chat group now."

But students have taken to social media to condemn Raja's remarks. Shah Alam Turk, a research scholar, said, "I was chatting on the group when Raja popped saying such things -- his personal views. I messaged him saying 'You have constitutional rights to express (your views), but don't defame (madrassas) without verifying facts first. This is prejudice, not logic, and will weaken the community, not strengthen."

Other students hit back equally hard. One of them said: "People like you spoil the name of the university. God has given you reason, so think before speaking."

Mustafa Zaidi, AMUTA secretary, said the professor should have "calculated" what to say. "Such statements can be misconstrued and can result in anger," he said, adding, "If he said so in the first place."

Rashid Shaz, director of AMU Bridge Course that deals with madrassa students, condemned Raja's views and said, "Students of madrassas are very cultured and have standards of morality. One should show evidence before questioning them en masse."

AMU PRO Rahat Abrar said course of action against the professor will be decided only when the VC returns. "VC is away, decision will be taken only when he returns," he said.

------------------
Madrassas dens of gays, ban them: AMU professor - The Times of India
------------------

jamahir's note : i don't see why the professor has to face any "disciplinary action" for saying what has long been known... reactionaries in any community are not quite admirers of ladies.

jamahir

BANNED
Jul 9, 2014
Country
India
Because this will turn into a troll thread

i agree and i don't want to be accused of intentionally starting a troll fest, which is why i have put "any community" in my note in the op.

this is a needed eye opener... i think you know that.

however, i leave to mods to decide.

desimorty

Apr 23, 2006
Response to above cartoon image.
Its important that we do not set up Madrassas with ARAB money especially Suadi Money. We need to teach the brand of Islam that is native to the sub continent which by nature is more tolerant and progressive rather that the regressive brand the Saudis fund and practice.
Pakistan made the mistake of setting up Madrasas from Saudi with their money, and now they are filled with terrorists, mercenaries, and violent protesters which is essentially a terrorists.
I agree with Modi, that you can have madrasas and that muslims have the right to practice their faith, however, it should not condomn to a life of poverty or missed opportunity. They can read the Quran and still have PHDs.
Also, hope they don't turn out like the lunitc "Dr" Naik

jamahir

BANNED
Jul 9, 2014
Country
India
I dont think madrasas are a den of gays.. nor do I think professor said it...

maybe the professor said it in a fit of passionate anger or maybe the reactionaries in amu are trying to frame him... but doesn't remove the fact that madrassas in south asia have seen cases of rape ( there were pdf threads ) and the atmosphere there is poisonous... most of the students of these places harden their reactionary tendencies when they leave.

livingdead

ELITE MEMBER
Oct 25, 2011
Country
India
maybe the professor said it in a fit of passionate anger or maybe the reactionaries in amu are trying to frame him... but doesn't remove the fact that madrassas in south asia have seen cases of rape ( there were pdf threads ) and the atmosphere there is poisonous... most of the students of these places harden their reactionary tendencies when they leave.
hmm.. I dont know anybody from madrasa and not sure how the atmosphere there is... (in India).. about rape it can happen anywhere, unless you are saying its higher than usual.
but yeah, madrassas need modernization...

livingdead

ELITE MEMBER
Oct 25, 2011
Country
India
yes this is about a practice which is basically immoral on the basis of exploitation and under age sex and that too in a place of trust
Indian state must intervene.
there is no proof. The professor says he never made such comment. He should file an FIR against specific institution. Besides education is state subject, so its upto Uttar Pradesh govt to respond (if professor meant it happens in his state).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom