• Monday, November 18, 2019

LUMS student Shahmir Bajwa found dead in hostel (drug overdose?)

Discussion in 'Social & Current Events' started by Kabira, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Kabira

Kabira ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +12 / 11,841 / -28
    Pakistan
    By Web Desk -

December 13, 2016
    Share on Facebook

Tweet on Twitter

[​IMG]

LAHORE: A student of Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS) , Shahmir Asif Bajwa was mysteriously found dead in his room this morning.

The university administration has confirmed this incident in a statement.

Shahmir Bajwa was a fifth-semester student of BSc Accounting and Finance and a hosteller at LUMS. He was found unresponsive in his hostel room, ProPakistani reported.

Medical staff at LUMS was immediately called but it was too late for the unfortunate student.

The student was immediately taken to the nearest hospital, National Defence Hospital, where the doctors confirmed that Shamir had passed away earlier in the day.

LUMS has issued a statement in which the university shares its condolences over the deceased student. The statement says “Shahmir’s family has been informed. They have requested that their privacy be respected and our thoughts and prayers are with them. Our first concern in this tragedy is to support his family and each other“.

Initial news reports suggest that Shamir died of a cardiac arrest following excessive usage of drugs of some sorts.

The university, however, denied the reports of any drug usage and states that the death of Shahmir Bajwa is still being investigated.

The doctors have also confirmed that the exact details regarding the death of the student will be revealed after the full autopsy.

LUMS has also requested the media to respect the privacy of the student’s family during this tragedy and refrain from any sort of speculations regarding the cause of the Shahmir’s death.

The student’s parents have reached Lahore from Karachi, their hometown and are expected to get hold of the dead body following the autopsy today.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Valar Dohaeris

Valar Dohaeris FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5 / 1,787 / -0
    Pakistan
    What an unfortunate news, RIP.

3. Djinn

Djinn SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1 / 3,307 / -0
    Pakistan
    Dawn's publication of his pic and alleged cause of death as drug overdose has outraged quite a lot of people.

4. Morse_Code

Morse_Code FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0 / 1,371 / -0
    Pakistan
    Whatever might be the cause it is so unfair to discuss someone's private life on media. Our media , sorry to say, focuses so much on LUMS negativity that sometimes they cross their limits. He was a nice and humble guy which no such addiction, as his friends said. RIP Ameen

5. AUz

AUz ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +29 / 12,436 / -44
    Pakistan
    Well investigate properly and see the reason. If it's drugs over use than state in publically. Was he tricked into taking drugs? If he has been a habitual drug user...how did he get his supplies? Have a proper investigation.

If INDEED he died of drug overuse and he was a habitual drug taker...then sorry got no sympathy for this piece of shit. They can die as they come. Losers.

6. Morse_Code

Morse_Code FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0 / 1,371 / -0
    Pakistan
    Hatred will lead us nowhere brother... what if he was an innocent guy who just died of cardiac arrest? ....
    even if he were an addict , drugs are to be hated not the users...
    the university will look into the matter for sure

7. Djinn

Djinn SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1 / 3,307 / -0
    Pakistan
    This is what media does: Creates a villian out of a hero and a hero out of a villian. For the unthinking herds this holds more relevance than Gospel and hence nobody even bothers to consider the facts. Most of the people who are commenting on his death all over the internet didn't know him before this news got released, but now all of a sudden they are experts on his life. While I am also doing the same but the least I can do is not judge him and grant him the full benefit of doubt.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. AUz

AUz ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +29 / 12,436 / -44
    Pakistan
    Then I feel bad for him. May Allah have mercy on him

Well if users are poor down trodden people that are victims of their circumstances...then offcourse I don't hate em. As in, I don't hate majority of drug addicts in Pakistan cuz these people are poor without any resources.

But if you are a rich brat having all facilities of life and having resources to go to Lums..and you are using drugs for fun etc etc...then yeah buddy, got no sympathy for such pieces of shit and you shouldn't either. So f*ck such people

9. Morse_Code

Morse_Code FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0 / 1,371 / -0
    Pakistan
    I didn't mean to hurt anyone I am just annoyed at the media's irrational bias ... yeah you are right nobody knows him and all of a sudden everyone is accusing him of being an addict

I can understand that mostly people think that all the rich brats make it to institutes like LUMS but there are people who aren't well off and are on scholarships.... it's easy to judge people

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Kambojaric

Kambojaric SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +10 / 7,494 / -0
    Pakistan
    Drug addiction is a major issue in our society that is regularly swept under the rug. 700 people die every in our country because of drugs! (https://www.thenews.com.pk/print/130881-Drug-addiction-kills-700-people-every-day-in-Pakistan). Its all fair and well hiding an individuals identity and showing the picture was unnecessary I agree, but the media is absolutely right in highlighting this issue to the wider audience, especially since legitimate sources are mentioning the death as a drug overdose

(Defence B SHO Ziaul Haq told The Express Tribune the student died due to heroin overdose. “An autopsy will not be carried out as requested by his family,” Haq added.).

Nothing can be proven till an autopsy is done, but honestly I know relatives and friends who study in LUMS and other top universities in Pakistan, and doing drugs has increasingly become the norm as per them.

11. Morse_Code

Morse_Code FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0 / 1,371 / -0
    Pakistan
    I agree! it is a norm but highlighting the issue with a headline targeting lums... this is not fair as I guess

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. AUz

AUz ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +29 / 12,436 / -44
    Pakistan
    Well double shame on you if you are on scholarship and wasting your life in drugs!

Don't give me this "judge people" bullsh!t. Those who do stupid things must be judged accordingly. Don't try to be a wanna be western snowflake and talk like "oh don't judge blah blah"

Pakistanis look embarrassing when they unintentionally end up looking like wanna be Europeans (I have seen that a lot these days).

You SHOULD judge people if they are openly committing evil. You are a Muslim Pakistan, not an atheist French.

So it is a message to all: If you see bad things done around you, call it out, and don't get silent by stupid notions like "oh don't judge. Everybody has a story. Live and let live. Freedom" blah blah blah...

These are just sayings of people who don't really understand the meaning of these terms in Western context, and are just overwhelmed by Western music, media, and hollywood to be uttering these words like idiots when these terms don't apply to their own context (which is living in a developing Islamic republic of Pakistan, and not in ultra industrialized god-less society of Germany)

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  13. Morse_Code

Morse_Code FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0 / 1,371 / -0
    Pakistan
    you got me really wrong what I was saying is that you never know what a person is being through, a person can be exposed to drugs without even knowing. And for me... I am a Muslim Pakistani ,not an atheist french and that is why being a Muslim I'm trying to share my view point and I must make it clear, this what you all are talking about is not Islam brother..this is what french do.
    Enough said