What's new

Japanese government decides to cancel Tokyo Olympics due to COVID-19

Piotr

Jun 22, 2016
Country
Poland
Japanese government decides to cancel Tokyo Olympics due to COVID-19
22 Jan, 01:35Updated at: 22 Jan, 02:00

It is reported that the country will now focus its efforts on winning the next possible bid in 2032

MOSCOW, January 22. /TASS/. The Japanese government has privately reached the conclusion that the Tokyo Olympics will have to be cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic, The Times reported, citing its sources in the Japanese cabinet.
According to the source, the government is now wrangling over announcing the cancellation without hurting Tokyo’s chances to hold the games again. "No one wants to be the first to say so but the consensus is that it’s too difficult. Personally, I don’t think it’s going to happen," the source underlined.
It is reported that the country will now focus its efforts on winning the next possible bid in 2032.
Earlier, member of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Dick Pound said that the committee has no plans to scrap the games in Tokyo in an interview with Kyodo.

The Tokyo Olympics was originally planned to be held between July 24 and August 9, 2020. However, the pandemic prompted the decision to reschedule the event to 2021, retaining the Tokyo 2020 brand.
In June, the Tokyo games organizational committee officially spoke in favor of simplifying the format of the event. The Olympic budget shot up due to additional costs relating to the postponement of the games and measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19, now standing at $15.9 billion.

https://tass.com/sport/1247687

Let's wait for more information.

Indos

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Jul 25, 2013
Country
Indonesia
I wonder why Olympic committee doesnt postpone the game until 2024 ? Cancelling the game and try to bid again for Olympic 2032 will ultimately give another competitor to Indonesia bid for Olympic in 2032 :pissed:

masterchief_mirza

ELITE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2019
Country
Pakistan
I don't understand why the Tokyo games need cancellation but as far as I know, the Euro football championship will proceed as planned in Europe this summer. Sounds a bit hypocritical and unfair on Japan to be honest. Europe is being ravaged by the same disease. The Euros will involve multiple teams and squads traveling through multiple airports without any time to quarantine between the matches.

There is more of an argument to continue with the Olympics and cancel the Euros in my opinion, as the Olympic athletes can be quarantined before their contests and can stay in one place. Obviously, spectators cannot be present but so what?

The Euros are apparently proceeding AND with spectators!

Beast

ELITE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2011
Country
China
I don't understand why the Tokyo games need cancellation but as far as I know, the Euro football championship will proceed as planned in Europe this summer. Sounds a bit hypocritical and unfair on Japan to be honest. Europe is being ravaged by the same disease. The Euros will involve multiple teams and squads traveling through multiple airports without any time to quarantine between the matches.

There is more of an argument to continue with the Olympics and cancel the Euros in my opinion, as the Olympic athletes can be quarantined before their contests and can stay in one place. Obviously, spectators cannot be present but so what?

The Euros are apparently proceeding AND with spectators!
Euro game are different. The athletic involved is not as huge as olympic. The number are still manageable.

I believe 2024 olympic already has chosen the host. Not possible to hand it to Japan.

Indos

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Jul 25, 2013
Country
Indonesia
Japan determined to hold Tokyo Olympics despite cancellation rumors
Junko Ogura
By Junko Ogura, CNN

Updated 1008 GMT (1808 HKT) January 22, 2021

The event will still continue. Prepare popcorn and watch it at home.....

1611295464707.png

Daniel808

Nov 24, 2013
Country
Indonesia
Japan vaccination uncertainty casts doubts over Olympics
By MARI YAMAGUCHI yesterday

TOKYO (AP) — Japan is publicly adamant that it will stage its postponed Olympics this summer. But to pull it off, many believe the vaccination of its 127 million citizens for the coronavirus is key.
It’s an immense undertaking in the best of circumstances and complicated now by an overly cautious decision-making process, bureaucratic roadblocks and a public that has long been deeply wary of vaccines.
Japan hopes to start COVID-19 vaccinations in late February, but uncertainty is growing that a nation ranked among the world’s lowest in vaccine confidence can pull off the massive, $14 billion project in time for the games in July, casting doubt on whether the Tokyo Olympics can happen.

https://apnews.com/article/tokyo-co...lympic-games-b9156c483d1c8271fc6772daf2827fca

@Piotr they are in deep sh!t, but still want to hold olympic games.

When the lives of their people comes second, and money first. Stupid government :hitwall:

Screenshot_20210123-125843_Chrome.jpg

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2021/01/23/national/coronavirus-japan-deaths/

Piotr

Jun 22, 2016
Country
Poland
@Piotr they are in deep sh!t, but still want to hold olympic games.

When the lives of their people comes second, and money first. Stupid government :hitwall:
Plaza Accord, Fukushima disaster (US General Electric reactor) and now US coronavirus ...
If Japan won't get free from Yankee yoke it will end up like Haiti were more then two thirds of population don't have access to electricity. Japan is still in better situation than Haiti because Japan is under US occupation since 1945 and Haiti since 1915. Japan before US occupation was vibrant and well organized country, now under US occupation Japan becomes a mess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom