What's new

Is there a market for 250cc+ class scooters in Bangladesh?

Paul2

Nov 24, 2018
Country
United Kingdom
The rationale was our cops can't chase fast bikes down. Welcome to Bangladesh - we tax SUV import at rates of up to 800% to arrest increase in traffic congestion.
Lazy, shortsighted policies.
You are not alone. Anything bigger than a bicycles is basically banned in most of China. Motorcycle licenses cost crazy money in Shanghai, and Beijing (if they haven't outlawed them completely yet)

Bilal9

ELITE MEMBER
Feb 4, 2014
Country
Bangladesh
Local motorcycle manufacturers, who put together 150cc lawnmower engines with a seat, are also responsible for lobbying the government to enforce the 165cc limit for their self-interest, at the behest of the Bengali consumer.
Actually local motor bike makers like Runner and Walton would love to go into assembly and manufacture-from-scratch of 200+cc bikes as they will make far better margins with the larger bikes but those are minuscule portions (less than 20%) of the market (both here in Bangladesh and export-wise). They in fact assemble several brands for export which have larger displacement engines which someone mentioned already.

But making smaller bikes (100-125cc) is their bread and butter in Bangladesh because that's what sells. It is a huge (some would say above 70% of the local market). Basic transportation like in Vietnam, Bangladesh is getting in that boat ten years later than Vietnam did, as a substitute for Public Transport.

Of course Bangladeshi manufacturers won't go into making 50 cc mopeds (with pedals) like in the market next door, because regardless of fuel efficiency, you can't get those cheap-a$$ contraptions to go anything faster than say 40 MPH. However local makers will make a lot of 100 and 125 cc bikes at very economical price points which has a great market not only in Bangladesh, but also, surrounding countries and in Asia (as price-leader basic products in developed Asian markets).

Since Bangladesh labor costs are way lower (half that of India), Bangladesh could easily beat any other country in price. We have seen this with many of our exports already.
So, that's the question.

Is there a market for 250cc+ class scooters in Bangladesh?

I doubt there are much good roads in the country to drive a scooter as such. From my research, scooters only dominate Dhaka, and the next 2-3 big cities, while rural areas remain on motorcycles.

Another moment, I believe women also make big scooter buyers, but probably not going to buy a 200kg+ scooter.

I also haven't seen much Bangladeshis looking to weight above 80kg, so I am also thinking if that may reduce the demand for bigger scooters.
The short answer is "barely". Scooters in Bangladesh do not get above 125 cc displacement usually. And only woman use them typically, This trend is similar to that of India. Men riding on scooters is a rarity nowadays. Adoption of scooters by women is minimal in Bangladesh.

Last edited:

bluesky

ELITE MEMBER
Jun 14, 2016
Country
Bangladesh
1632524259922.png

Here in Japan, the housewives use this kind of scooter usually when going for shopping. Unlike the one in the picture, Japanese ones are not that colorful or fancy-looking, but engines you can bet. They are number one.
============================================================================================================

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom