• Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Indian lawmaker's 'rape' threat to opponents stirs outrage

Discussion in 'Central & South Asia' started by Devil Soul, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Devil Soul

Devil Soul ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +47 / 28,926 / -1
    Pakistan
    Indian lawmaker's 'rape' threat to opponents stirs outrage
    Last Updated On 01 July,2014

[​IMG]
    The head of the National Commission for Women said Pal's position was now untenable.

KOLKATA (AFP) -- An Indian lawmaker faced calls to quit Tuesday after he was captured on video threatening the rape of his political rivals' relatives.

Amid widespread outrage in India over a series of recent high-profile rapes, the Trinamool Congress MP Tapas Pal could be clearly heard bragging of his ability to order attacks against his left-wing opponents.

"If CPIM (Communist Party of India-Marxist) tries to kill and intimidate our workers... I will not spare them. I will let loose my men to rape your women," he said in an address to followers in late May and filmed on a smart phone.

His comments drew widespread condemnation on Tuesday, including from Trinamool which is the fourth largest party in parliament and whose support is concentrated in the state of West Bengal.

"We do not in any way endorse what he said," party spokesman Derek O'Brien told reporters, adding that party leader and West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee was "hopping mad" about the remarks.

Pal, who was a minor film star in the Kolkata-based movie industry, tried to limit the damage by claiming he had been misquoted.

"I never said rape. I said raid. I said they should raid all the people and places, including women and old," he told CNN-IBN, refusing to apologise.

However even his own wife Nandini said the lawmaker was out of line.

"I feel terrible about it. Whatever he has said, it is not right being a member of the parliament," she told reporters in Kolkata.

The head of the National Commission for Women said Pal's position was now untenable.

"He should resign. This is a very unfortunate statement. CM Mamata Banerjee should take action against him, he should be suspended," said the commission's head Mamata Sharma.

Brinda Karat, the leader of the Communists, told reporters that the comments were "completely unacceptable" and Pal "must be suspended" from the Lok Sabha, India's lower house of parliament.

India brought in tougher laws last year against sex offenders after the fatal gang-rape of a student in New Delhi in December 2012, but they have failed to stem the tide of violence against women across the country.

In May, two girls aged 12 and 14 were found hanging from a mango tree in the state of Uttar Pradesh after they had been abducted and gang-raped.
    Indian lawmaker's 'rape' threat to opponents stirs outrage | World | Dunya News

2. baajey

baajey SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3 / 2,587 / -13
    India
    tapas pal was not a minor star...he was a superstar in bengali movies.
    @Topic : whatever he said is already being said by both the parties and their so called lawmakers. its just that this is the first time that somebody became so emotionally charged and so mentally challenged to have said this in public.
    i used to think that inspite of all its problems bengalis are cultured enough not to rape its women....alas i was wrong.
    these spineless people show their "mardangi" by raping their women and TMC has been zealous enough to show them the way.
    Disgusting....

3. Chronos

Chronos SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16 / 9,773 / -1
    India
    I also was shocked the way he casually threw around words like rape and murder

:angry:

4. baajey

baajey SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3 / 2,587 / -13
    India
    and then he tried to confuse ppl with "raid" in place of "rape"

5. scorpionx

scorpionx SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +92 / 14,702 / -1
    India
    This idiot is facing the harshest criticism ever in his life from every corner of the society. Even his own party and his wife has condemned those disgusting remarks. Now don't jump on Bengali culture just because some idiots are having a free ride.

6. Chronos

Chronos SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16 / 9,773 / -1
    India
    I am not

who is this idiot anyway?

7. scorpionx

scorpionx SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +92 / 14,702 / -1
    India
    Actor Tapas Pal. Self proclaimed heartthrob in West Bengal :lol:

8. Chronos

Chronos SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +16 / 9,773 / -1
    India
    Can I say something?

I think Bengali Communists where better than TMC. Every story I hear of TMC sounds like they are a gang of criminals banded together with their own interests and held by Momota.

Sorry for my ignorance.

9. baajey

baajey SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3 / 2,587 / -13
    India
    well I am a Bengali and I know a weeny bit about Bengali culture. we are quite refined (compared to the north Indians - no offence plz). legend said what "Bengal thinks today, India shall think of it tomorrow", no longer applies.
    dialogues like :
    --- kortey hobey kortey hobey---inquilab jeendabaad
    --- baraa mere debo saala
    and all the other dadagiri types , run rampant....
    our culture has not only got corrupted, but also has degenerated to a new low (just like the UP culture). I believe, the "low point" has hit us Bengalis. all we do is bandhs, naarebaazi,adda and durga puja. we remain good at nothing else.
    (the ppl at individual level, are extremely cooperative thoh)
    hence, I retain my stance when I say , our culture is only talk talk talk (no action) and empty bravado

I m totally with u on that.
    before TMC came to power I was totally anti CPI(M), but after a few weeks of them (TMC) being in power showed a pretty good idea of how Bengal is going to turn out under momota.
    personally I think, TMC is comprised of some opportunist and uneducated bullies headed by our witless momota (she may have willingness, but has no idea nor expertise to implement).
    her muslim appeasement is suffocatingly intolerable. moral degradation had started under the CPIm a long time ago , but TMC has ushered in a new wave of violence and fear in order to assure they remain in power.
    my sympathies to poshchimbongo

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  10. scorpionx

scorpionx SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +92 / 14,702 / -1
    India
    This degradation is a product of communist arrogance started in the late period of Jyoti Basu rule. During Buddhadeb's period spirit of political decency vanished completely. Problem lies in a major part within Mamata's own behavior. Her natural roughness spreaded like plague among her ministers.

11. baajey

baajey SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3 / 2,587 / -13
    India
  12. nair

nair BANNED

Ratings:
    +10 / 17,102 / -0
    India
    No wonder there are somany rapes in India..... Infact we are the culprits to have made these morons as our leaders.....