US News: India has been identified as the largest recipient of U.S economic assistance over a 66-year period in inflation-adjusted dollars although Washington'
It is correct that India has received economic assistance in the PAST. It has been reduced to inconsequential levels today. That too to NGOs.
Lets look at the fine print to understand it fully. Since this report has been quoted let’s analyse it bring out the facts.
Analysis of this article:~
1. Aid/assistance provided from 1949 to 2015. Use of aid and assistance is used analogous. Both the terms have a different meaning.
2. U.S assistance to India currently is only around $ 100 million.
3. Per capita assistance to India is far lower than quite a few countries. Pakistan with One sixth of Indian population received $ 44 billion. That amounts to almost 4 times per capita.
4. India received negligible military assistance during this period. Few countries received billions of $ as military assistance too.
5. Report also cites CHINA got $25 billion as military aid. Wait till Chinese FMs get a whiff of their name being quoted here. I am sure that they would bring out how their military is survivng on US assistance. Does anyone think that Chinese military is getting aid from USA, these days or even in the recent past? Let me see who says yes.
This report is part of USAID program. As a part of this it provides assistance to governments as well as NGOs. USAID in India provides technical and financial assistance majorly to NGOs.
The U.S. Agency for International Development’s (USAID) five-year Country Development Cooperation Strategy (CDCS) acknowledges India’s growing economy, rising geopolitical status, and remaining development challenges, while simultaneously building on USAID’s comparative advantage and long...
6. Report clearly states that India has weaned away from aid to trade as part of its policy. Doesn’t sound bad to me.
7. The assistance is inflation adjusted. The actual assistance was much lower than what appears due to this factor.
Anyone driving joy from this report has been trying to quote selectively to portray Indian Government as a major aid receiver today.
That is INCORRECT and MALICIOUS.