• Monday, January 21, 2019

India alarmingly filthy even by the standards of poor countries: The Economist

Discussion in 'Central & South Asia' started by airmarshal, Dec 8, 2018.

1. airmarshal

airmarshal SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +9 / 8,486 / -0
    Pakistan
    https://economictimes.indiatimes.co...cial&utm_campaign=socialsharebuttons&from=mdr

'Bharat' is not going to be 'swachh' anytime soon despite the ambitious programme launched by the Narendra Modi government to clean the country. Next year India will send its second rocket to the Moon but when it comes to pollution, India is alarmingly filthy even by the standards of poor countries, writes The Economist magazine.

India's air and water are heavily polluted causing not only a large number of deaths in the country but also contributing to the problem globally, it says.

"Delhi’s deadly air is part of a wider crisis. Seventy percent of surface water is tainted. In the World Health Organisation’s rankings of air pollution, Indian cities claim 14 of the top 15 spots. In an index of countries’ environmental health from Yale and Columbia universities, India ranks a dismal 177th out of 180," says an article in the latest issue of the magazine.

"Recent estimates put the annual death toll from breathing pm 2.5 alone at 1.2m-2.2m a year. The lifespan of Delhi-dwellers is shortened by more than ten years, says the University of Chicago. Consumption of dirty water directly causes 200,000 deaths a year, a government think-tank reckons, without measuring its contribution to slower killers such as kidney disease. Some 600m Indians, nearly half the country, live in areas where water is in short supply.
    As pollutants taint groundwater, and global warming makes the vital monsoon rains more erratic, the country is poisoning its own future," the article says.

The article argues that India can't hide behind the excuse of being a poor country because it is polluted not just in absolute terms, but also relative to its level of development. "It is true that some ways of cutting pollution are expensive. But there are also cheap solutions, such as undoing mistakes that Indian bureaucrats have themselves made. By subsidising rice farmers, for instance, the government has in effect cheered on the guzzling of groundwater and the torching of stubble.
    Rules that encourage the use of coal have not made India more self-reliant, as intended, but instead have led to big imports of foreign coal while blackening India’s skies. Much cleaner gas-fired power plants, meanwhile, sit idle," the article says.

Praising PM Modi for promising to free India of open defecation and then building 90 million toilets in four and a half years of his government, the article says India is still not clean. India's skies, streets, rivers and coasts require similar attention from PM Modi, it says.

• Thanks Thanks x 5
  2. Path-Finder

Path-Finder ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4 / 15,599 / -7
    Pakistan
    #FakeNews

• Thanks Thanks x 5
  3. GHALIB

GHALIB SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0 / 1,215 / -18
    India
    no doubt we have to do a lot more than what we are doing .

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  4. xyxmt

xyxmt ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5 / 14,806 / -11
    Pakistan
    yes you do, buy more weapon

• Thanks Thanks x 6
  5. faithfulguy

faithfulguy ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2 / 11,858 / -3
    Taiwan, Province Of China
    Why should Indians focus on cleaning up India, it’s a British creation anyway.

Indian people focus on division, such as lower caste vs higher caste. Hindu vs Muslims. Conflicts within its family. Something Indians are good at.

• Thanks Thanks x 11
  6. XiNiX

XiNiX SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +8 / 9,663 / -19
    India
    We spend more because we are the only country surrounded by two nuclear adversaries with whom we have had several wars.

We also spend huge ( but it's still far less ) money over poor.

Taj was not built in a day... We are moving in the right direction, but the speed should be better .

7. My-Analogous

My-Analogous SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2 / 4,478 / -0
    Pakistan
    Its Muslim. Destroy it and make mandir

8. Jackdaws

Jackdaws ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3 / 7,041 / -20
    India
    Because we live in a democracy so it is pretty much our decision.. I know that concept is difficult to grasp.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. XiNiX

XiNiX SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +8 / 9,663 / -19
    India
    Nope.

My fav Teacher , Leader and Scientist is Dr. Kalam , a Muslim.
    My fav musician is AR Rehman again Muslim
    My Fav singer is Rafi Saab....

Politics apart, India does not have Hindu Muslim issues.

All we REALLY care is Roti Kapda Makaaan aur Bandwidth.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. My-Analogous

Ratings:
    +2 / 4,478 / -0
    Pakistan
    Your denial can change the reality. This is the real face of India today which i show you. Check your sources to confirmed that. Taj is now target set by Hindu extremist to make mandir.

Don't be like that

11. XiNiX

XiNiX SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +8 / 9,663 / -19
    India
    I know my India better.

12. newb3e

newb3e SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0 / 3,038 / -19
    Pakistan
    fakenews! isi sajish modi ki g ka india chand peh colony banna raha hai!

13. snow lake

snow lake ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1 / 7,097 / -4
    Pakistan
    Taj was built by muslims who were your rulers

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. My-Analogous

Ratings:
    +2 / 4,478 / -0
    Pakistan
    I am sorry to say.You don't

I have lots of references to prove my statement not unlike you who just write without proving references

15. Arulmozhi Varman

Arulmozhi Varman FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0 / 106 / -4
    India
    We do not buy loans to pay for defence stuff. Save these useless advice for Pakistan.

It gets worse before it gets better. India being a developing country is in that phase. Chinese cities were in that phase from 1998-2010. One city in China was poisoned by Electronic waste. Good thing is we have someone who is openly speaking about these stuff and is doing something about it. There is awareness on national level in cleanliness. It needs a cultural change and it will take few years or even 1-2 decades.