• Sunday, August 18, 2019

In Varanasi, Media Made Two RSS-Backed Muslim Women the Voice of the Community

Discussion in 'Central & South Asia' started by terry5, Aug 13, 2019 at 9:10 PM.

1. terry5

terry5 FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5 / 2,539 / -14
    Palestinian Territory, Occupied
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 9:17 PM
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
  2. terry5

terry5 FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5 / 2,539 / -14

3. terry5

terry5 FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5 / 2,539 / -14

Srivastava, then, introduces two young women, Najma and Nazneen, and says “even Muslims understand and pray for the Ram temple to be built”.

The two are instantly recognisable from the ANI video clips and media reports. Nazneen has written the Hanuman Chalisa, Durga Chalisa, and Shiv Chalisa in Urdu, and Najma led the delegation that recited the Hanuman Chalisa at the Sankat Mochan temple.

Before I can take any pictures, Najma puts on her burkha. “When I wear a burkha, people are able to identity me as a proper Muslim,” she says. “It’s become her trademark, a part of her identity,” adds Nazneen, who doesn’t wear a burkha.

I ask Najma how many Muslim women celebrated Modi’s victory. For the first time in our conversation she is flustered, and pauses for a moment before replying, “This time I assure you there will be many more.

At Pilikothi, one of Varanasi’s better known Muslim weaver mohallas, everyone I speak to knows Najma and Nazneen but are dismissive. “They have even alienated their own families,” says one man. “Their sangathan is constantly trying to do activities in the Muslim mohallas, but how can we support this bhagwa (saffron) politics?”

What worries the Muslims of Varanasi most was articulated by Saifi Qalam and Danish, residents of Nai Sadak. “These are a handful of women, and the politics of their organisation is dangerous. But what is worse is the media, which knows that these are but a handful, yet runs stories suggesting they represent all Muslims. Why do they show five Muslim women from an RSS-type organisation and then run headlines saying ‘Muslim women did this’ or ‘Muslim women support Modi’? That is the real danger. Two RSS women who speak for no one in the community have been made to speak for all of us.”

:rofl::rofl:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 9:25 PM
  4. Starlord

Starlord ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +10 / 16,091 / -1
    Pakistan
    Propaganda at its best .

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  5. Alternatiiv

Alternatiiv SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +15 / 3,546 / -0
    Pakistan
    Laughing my fucking *** off.

Edit: @Dubious There needs to be a thread on the propaganda so far, and it needs to be stickied. There's an interview of one of the Kashmiri locals who was filmed with Ajit Doval as well, on an international news agency, exposing Indian propaganda. Needs to be compiled, I think.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 9:31 PM
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. terry5

terry5 FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5 / 2,539 / -14
    _