What's new

Images - Pakistan Navy in the Mirror of History.

ghazi52

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Mar 21, 2007
68,842
77
110,182
Country
Pakistan
Location
United States
Westland Lynx HAS2 Serial 001 Register 21 XZ227 used by Pakistan Naval Air Arm from 1996 to 2003.

Acquired from the UK, & 222 Sqn was raised in 1996. after playing an active role the sqn had to be deactivated in 2003 due to inadequate spares



1629553160361.png
 

ghazi52

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Mar 21, 2007
68,842
77
110,182
Country
Pakistan
Location
United States
1616848897391.png





Pakistan Naval History

The birth of Royal Pakistan Navy came with the creation of Pakistan on the historic day of 14 August 1947. Like other navies of the commonwealth, Pakistan’s Navy also had the prefix “Royal” until the country was proclaimed a republic in 1956. At 0800 on 14 August 1947, the flag of Rear Admiral J W Jefford, Flag Officer Commanding Royal Pakistan Navy was hosted on his Flagship HMPS GODAVARI. The Admiral’s first signal addressed to the officers and men of the RPN was flashed to all ships and shore establishments.

The PN share of the ships at the time of partition comprised 4 frigates/sloops, 4 fleet minesweepers, 8 motor minesweepers and horbour defence launches. The Naval Headquarters started functioning initially in one room office of the Naval Officer Incharge, Karachi. NHQ was later shifted to a building at West Wharf and subsequently shifted to Napier Barracks (Liaquat Barracks) at Karachi.

The training establishment HMPS HIMALAYA was commissioned as Gunnery and Radar School for the RIN on 27 Nov 1943. Soon after Independence it expanded into a combined training establishment housing the Signal, Torpedo and Anti-submarine, Tactics, Navigation and Direction, Supply and Secretariat and Cookery Schools.

Just after independence on 14 August 1947 the Armed Forces Reconstitution Committee (AFRC) divided the Royal Indian Navy between both countries India and Pakistan. The Pakistan Navy secured two sloops, two frigates, four minesweepers, two trawlers, four harbour launches and some 3580 personnel (180 officers and 3400 ratings) and given the high percentage of delta areas on the Pakistan coast the Navy was given a number of Harbor Defence Motor Launches.

In 1956 the Islamic Republic of Pakistan was proclaimed under the 1956 constitution. The prefix `Royal’ was dropped and the service redesignated as Pakistan Navy short title PN. PN Jack and Pakistan flag replaced the Queen’s colour and the white ensign respectively. The order of precedence of the three services changed from Navy, Army, Air Force to Army, Navy, Air Force.

In February 1956, the British government announced supplying of several major surface combatants to Pakistan. These Warships, a cruiser and four destroyers were purchased with funds made available under the US Military Assistance Program. The acquisition of a few additional warships that is two destroyers, eight coastal minesweepers and an oiler (between 1956-63) was the direct result of Pakistan’s participation in the anti-Communist defence pacts of SEATO and CENTO.

Operation Dwarka is one of the most significant events of 1965 Indo-Pak war which reflected courage, determination, professional competence, dedication and coordination of the PN personnel involved in it. The objectives of this operation were: to draw the heavy enemy units out of Bombay for the submarine GHAZI to attack; to destroy the radar installation at Dwarka; to lower Indian morale; and to divert Indian Air effort away from the north.

On 7 September 1965 when the ships were on their normal war patrol, the following signal was received from Naval Headquarters: “Task group comprising PNS BABUR, PNS KHAIBAR, PNS BADR, PNS JAHANGIR, PNS ALAMGIR, PNS SHAHJAHAN and PNS TIPU SULTAN is to be in position 239 degrees – 120 miles from Dwarka light house by 071800 E Sep with maximum power available. Task group thereafter to carryout bombardment of Dwarka about midnight using 50 rounds per ship. Force is to retire from bombardment area by 080030 E Sep and return to present patrol area at full speed. One or two enemy frigates may be expected to encounter in the area in addition to enemy air threat.”

The Commodore Commanding PN Flotilla accordingly originated his signal at 1835, the salient features of which were: The initial position for attack was 206 degrees Dwarka light 6 miles; the target was to be city installations and conspicuous chimney; and complete radio silence was to be maintained except for guarding air warning radar.

The Fleet immediately topped up fuel and shaped course for Dwarka operation. At midnight the ships were on Initial Position (IP) with all their guns loaded and the men ready to strike a historic punch on enemy’s face. The city of Dwarka was completely blacked out and target could only be identified on radar. At 0024 bombardment was ordered to commence when ships were 5.5 to 6.3 miles from Dwarka light. It took only four minutes to complete the bombardment, firing altogether about 350 rounds on the target. Upon successful completion of the attack the ships retired immediately without any loss or damages.

There was no considerable resistance from the enemy and the ships safely arrived at their patrol area by 0635 on 8 Sep. The birth of Royal Pakistan Navy came with the creation of Pakistan on the historic day of 14 August 1947. Like other navies of the commonwealth, Pakistan’s Navy also had the prefix “Royal” until the country was proclaimed a republic in 1956. At 0800 on 14 August 1947, the flag of Rear Admiral J W Jefford, Flag Officer Commanding Royal Pakistan Navy was hosted on his Flagship HMPS GODAVARI. The Admiral’s first signal addressed to the officers and men of the RPN was flashed to all ships and shore establishments.

Quaid at the Naval Academy in Mar 1948: “Today is a historic day for Pakistan, doubly so for those of us in the Navy. The Dominion of Pakistan has come into being and with it a new Navy – the Royal Pakistan Navy – has been born. I am proud to have been appointed to command it and serve with you at this time. In the coming months, it will be my duty and yours to build up our Navy into a happy and efficient force.” The privilege for presenting the first Guard of Honor to Quaid-e-Azam was given to RPN, which marked a high point of Independence Day Ceremony.

The PN share of the ships at the time of partition comprised 4 frigates/sloops, 4 fleet minesweepers, 8 motor minesweepers and harbour defence launches. The Naval Headquarters started functioning initially in a one room office of the Naval Officer Incharge, Karachi. NHQ was later shifted to a building at West Wharf and subsequently shifted to Napier Barracks (Liaquat Barracks) at Karachi.

The training establishment HMPS HIMALAYA was commissioned as Gunnery and Radar School for the RIN on 27 Nov 1943. Soon after independence, it expanded into a combined training establishment housing the Signal, Torpedo and Anti-submarine, Tactics, Navigation and Direction, Supply and Secretariat and Cookery Schools.

The first mechanical training establishment of Pakistan Navy was set up on Manora Island and commissioned as HMPS KARSAZ on 01 Dec 49. In 1952 PN Torpedo Depot was established at West Wharf. To meet the increasing demand of docking/repair, a dock was purchased from Italy and was commissioned as HMPS IQBAL. Subsequently the graving dock was opened at PN Dockyard Karachi on 7 Sep 54.

In 1956 Islamic Republic of Pakistan was proclaimed under the 1956 constitution. The prefix `Royal’ was dropped and the service redesignated as Pakistan Navy short title PN. PN Jack and Pakistan flag replaced the Queen’s colour and the white ensign respectively. The order of precedence of the three services changed from Navy, Army, Air Force to Army, Navy, Air Force.

In 1968 PNS IQBAL was commissioned for Special Services Group (Navy). One year later in 1969 Navy suited from khaki uniform to its traditional white uniform. PNS PESHAWAR was commissioned in 1970 as the depot for PN Dockyard. Pakistan Naval Academy was also established in the same year as PNS RAHBAR followed by commissioning of PNS ABDOZE as a depot for the submarine service.

First PN Staff course commenced in May 1971 at PN Staff College established in Karsaz area.
The Maritime Security Agency was established on 1 Jan 1987. On 8 Jun 1996, PNS PUNJAB was commissioned as a depot unit at Lahore.

In 1974 Naval Headquarters was shifted to Islamabad and PNS ZAFAR was commissioned as a depot for PN personnel serving at Islamabad.

The Maritime Headquarters with Ferranti 5070 computer assisted coastal surveillance system was inaugurated at Clifton Karachi in 1976 alongwith PNS HAIDER commissioned as its depot.

In 1981 Pakistan Naval Engineering College was established and commissioned as PNS JAUHAR. In 1986 PNS BAHADUR was commissioned as the main professional training center for seaman branch personnel. It housed the Surface Warfare, Naval Warfare and OPS, Communications, Hydrography, EW, Instructional Techniques and Music schools.

PNS AKRAM, the first naval establishment on MAKRAN coast was commissioned in 1987 as a depot for naval detachments at GWADAR. The base camp was also established on ORMARA Head the same year and inaugurated as Remote Data Station MIANWALI.

In 1990 Marine Battalion of Pakistan Navy was formed and PNS QASIM, re-commissioned at Manora, was established as the HQ for marines.

In 1991 Pakistan naval ensign was hoisted at Jinnah station, which was established in the Antarctica. The same year RDS MIANWALI at ORMARA was commissioned as PNS AHSAN, a depot unit for personnel at ORMARA.

In 1992 Missile Depot was commissioned as PNS AATISH at Maripur.

In 1994 PNS NIGRAN was commissioned as the depot for Naval Provost Branch.

In 1996 PNS RAZA was commissioned as an Air Store Depot.

In 1994 ground breaking and foundation stone laying ceremony of “Jinnah Naval Harbour” (JNB) was performed. The base was finally commissioned in year 2000.
 

ghazi52

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Mar 21, 2007
68,842
77
110,182
Country
Pakistan
Location
United States
Prime Minister Nawabzada Liaquat Ali Khan and His Imperial Majesty, the Shah of Iran, inspecting the Naval Guard of Honour in Karachi.

1635213318480.png



In March 1950, His Imperial Majesty, the Shah of Iran, arrived in Pakistan on a seven-day state visit. Iran was an important Muslim neighbour and the first country to officially recognise the new state of Pakistan.

Nawabzada Liaquat Ali Khan was Pakistan’s Prime Minister and also held the Defence portfolio at the time.
 

ghazi52

PDF THINK TANK: ANALYST
Mar 21, 2007
68,842
77
110,182
Country
Pakistan
Location
United States
“The weak and the defenceless in this world invite aggression from others. The best way we can serve peace is by removing the temptation from the path of those who think we are weak and, for that reason, they can bully or attack us. That temptation can only be removed if we make ourselves so strong that nobody dares entertain any aggressive designs against us. Pakistan has come to stay and no power on earth can undo Pakistan”.

1637618933215.png


Quaid-e-Azam M.A. Jinnah address at the time of launching ceremony of PNS ‘Dilawar’ on (23 January 1948)
(Behind Quaid is Lt Barkat followed by Rear Admiral Jefford, Commodore Choudhri and Lt Cdr Abdur Rashid)
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)


Top Bottom