What's new

Hyundai Heavy Industries To Build Two 2,600 Ton Frigates For Philippine Navy

Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2011
Country
Pakistan

Hyundai Heavy Industries’ 2,600-ton frigate (HHI)
- A +
Hyundai Heavy Industries (HHI) has won a $325.7 million contract to build two 2,600 ton frigates from Philippines national defense.

The frigates are scheduled to be handed over from 2020, The Korea Herald reported today.

The agreement was signed in Manila between Chung Ki-sun, the executive vice president of HHI Corporate Planning Office, and Philippines’ Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana.

The frigates will be designed to be a smaller light combatant and successor to the Incheon-class frigate, which is now in active service for Korean Navy.

The frigates are also tailored to the requirement of the Philippine Navy, with applying optimized range of good marine standard under naval rule from Lloyd Register, classification society.

The 107 meter frigates to be propelled with CODAD (Combined Diesel and Diesel) propulsion system with maximum speed of 25 knots can cover a 4,500-nautical mile range at cruising speed of 15 knots.

The frigates heavily armed with missiles, torpedo, guns and sensors controlled by the latest combat management system are capable of conducting Anti-Air Warfare, Anti-Surface Warfare, Anti-Submarine Warfare and Electronic Warfare.

The Korean company won the bidding in August after competing with companies from France and Spain. It carried out negotiations for two months afterward.

http://www.defenseworld.net/news/17...Ton_Frigates_For_Philippine_Navy#.WA4HLeh95hE

Dem!god

Jan 14, 2014
Country
India
Indian shipyard, Garden research fought well but lost a won tender.
Anyways nyc specifications at price for Philippines navy.

Penguin

ELITE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2009
Hyundai discloses further details of Philippine Navy's new frigates
Ridzwan Rahmat, Singapore - IHS Jane's Navy International
24 October 2016

Key Points
  • Hyundai Heavy Industries has revealed further details of the two frigates that it will build for the Philippine Navy
  • The platform is slightly smaller than anticipated, but said to inherit main design features of South Korea's Incheon class
South Korean shipbuilder Hyundai Heavy Industries (HHI) has given further details of the two frigates that it will be constructing for the Philippine Navy (PN).

The details were given in a media release on 24 October announcing that the contract to build the ships has been formally signed with Philippine defence secretary Delfin Lorenzana. HHI received a notice of the PHP15,744,571,584 (USD311 million) award earlier in 2016.

The company was previously reported to have won the contract with a design based on the company's HDF-3000 multipurpose frigate design, which features an overall length of 114.3 m, and has been used as the basis for the Republic of Korea Navy's (RoKN's) Incheon (FFX-I)-class guided-missile frigates.

HHI has since disclosed in its media release that the platform will instead feature overall length of 107 m, a standard displacement of about 2,600 tonnes, and an operational survivability up to Sea State 5. The frigate has however been described by HHI as one that inherits main design features of the Incheon class, albeit with a lighter displacement.

The ship will feature a combined diesel and diesel (CODAD) propulsion system, and feature a maximum speed of 25 kt, with a standard range of 4,500 n miles at 15 kt.

HHI did not disclose in writing specific details of the platform's weapon systems, saying only that the frigates will be "heavily armed with missiles, torpedo, guns and sensors", and that they will be capable of anti-air, anti-surface, anti-submarine and electronic warfare.

However a computer generated image of the platform accompanying the media release shows an eight-cell vertical launching system (VLS) installed at the forward section, just behind the platform's primary weapon that will most likely be a 76 mm naval gun.

http://www.janes.com/article/64864/...her-details-of-philippine-navy-s-new-frigates

HDF-2600?

Bilal Khan (Quwa)

Aug 22, 2016
Country
Pakistan
Hyundai discloses further details of Philippine Navy's new frigates
Ridzwan Rahmat, Singapore - IHS Jane's Navy International
24 October 2016

Key Points
  • Hyundai Heavy Industries has revealed further details of the two frigates that it will build for the Philippine Navy
  • The platform is slightly smaller than anticipated, but said to inherit main design features of South Korea's Incheon class
South Korean shipbuilder Hyundai Heavy Industries (HHI) has given further details of the two frigates that it will be constructing for the Philippine Navy (PN).

The details were given in a media release on 24 October announcing that the contract to build the ships has been formally signed with Philippine defence secretary Delfin Lorenzana. HHI received a notice of the PHP15,744,571,584 (USD311 million) award earlier in 2016.

The company was previously reported to have won the contract with a design based on the company's HDF-3000 multipurpose frigate design, which features an overall length of 114.3 m, and has been used as the basis for the Republic of Korea Navy's (RoKN's) Incheon (FFX-I)-class guided-missile frigates.

HHI has since disclosed in its media release that the platform will instead feature overall length of 107 m, a standard displacement of about 2,600 tonnes, and an operational survivability up to Sea State 5. The frigate has however been described by HHI as one that inherits main design features of the Incheon class, albeit with a lighter displacement.

The ship will feature a combined diesel and diesel (CODAD) propulsion system, and feature a maximum speed of 25 kt, with a standard range of 4,500 n miles at 15 kt.

HHI did not disclose in writing specific details of the platform's weapon systems, saying only that the frigates will be "heavily armed with missiles, torpedo, guns and sensors", and that they will be capable of anti-air, anti-surface, anti-submarine and electronic warfare.

However a computer generated image of the platform accompanying the media release shows an eight-cell vertical launching system (VLS) installed at the forward section, just behind the platform's primary weapon that will most likely be a 76 mm naval gun.

http://www.janes.com/article/64864/...her-details-of-philippine-navy-s-new-frigates

HDF-2600?
It's still the HDF-3000, but with hull design elements from the HDF-3500.

C130

ELITE MEMBER
Aug 1, 2014
Country
United States
they need to buy at least 12 if they want to even make a dent against China in the SCS

Penguin

ELITE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2009
It's still the HDF-3000, but with hull design elements from the HDF-3500.
yet at 2600t its lighter than hdf-3000/incheon class... let alone hdf-3500. it is definity not hdf-2000 based.

they need to buy at least 12 if they want to even make a dent against China in the SCS
You cant just dump 12 ship on a navy that doesnt have any number of larger surface combattants. Besides, they are not there to dent chinese forces. They are there so that chinese forces must physically remove them if they wish to move in freely in certain areas i.e. to act openly as agressor.

Bilal Khan (Quwa)

Aug 22, 2016
Country
Pakistan
yet at 2600t its lighter than hdf-3000/incheon class... let alone hdf-3500. it is definity not hdf-2000 based.

You cant just dump 12 ship on a navy that doesnt have any number of larger surface combattants. Besides, they are not there to dent chinese forces. They are there so that chinese forces must physically remove them if they wish to move in freely in certain areas i.e. to act openly as agressor.
Interestingly the HHI press release doesn't specify if it is empty or full load.

http://www.hyundaiheavy.com/news/view?idx=600&currentPage=1

Penguin

ELITE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2009
Interestingly the HHI press release doesn't specify if it is empty or full load.

http://www.hyundaiheavy.com/news/view?idx=600&currentPage=1
At 107m length, it is 7m shorter than batch 1 Incheon of 114 m.

Incheon Displacement:
  • 2,300 t (Batch I) (empty), 2,800 t (Batch II) (empty)
  • 3,251t (Batch I) (full load) (Some Korean Source claims 2,800t), 3,592t (Batch II) (full load)
Holding hullshape, beam and draft constant, this gives (107m/144m)*2800tn = 2628tn

Therefor, I'm inclined to think 2600 ton is full load

Bilal Khan (Quwa)

Aug 22, 2016
Country
Pakistan

Incheon Displacement:
  • 3,251t (Batch I) (full load) (Some Korean Source claims 2,800t), 3,592t (Batch II) (full load)
Holding hullshape, beam and draft constant, this gives (107m/144m)*2800tn = 2628tn

Do you reckon the $168m per ship price tag is all inclusive (of the hull, propulsion and onboard electronics and weapons)?

Blue Marlin

Jul 7, 2015
Country
United Kingdom
Do you reckon the $168m per ship price tag is all inclusive (of the hull, propulsion and onboard electronics and weapons)?
i dont think so. pakistan paid $175 for chinese f22p's so i would assume it would be $168m for the hull and the electronics and propulsion whilst the command and control and weapons systems would be separate and not to forget the radar and its entire package. would cost to the tune of around $250million

if you compare this to the la fayette class frigate which cost $466 million for the complete package and the fact that its 1000 tonnes more then the frigates being built for the Philippines so $250 million is quiet a low-medium price point.

Bilal Khan (Quwa)

Aug 22, 2016
Country
Pakistan
i dont think so. pakistan paid $175 for chinese f22p's so i would assume it would be $168m for the hull and the electronics and propulsion whilst the command and control and weapons systems would be separate and not to forget the radar and its entire package. would cost to the tune of around $250million

if you compare this to the la fayette class frigate which cost $466 million for the complete package and the fact that its 1000 tonnes more then the frigates being built for the Philippines so $250 million is quiet a low-medium price point.
Yep even $250m a ship is attractive considering Egypt agreed to $350m a ship for the Gowind 2500.

Blue Marlin

Jul 7, 2015
Country
United Kingdom
Yep even $250m a ship is attractive considering Egypt agreed to $350m a ship for the Gowind 2500.
but remember who their buying it from? i like the country but there known to milk their clients and dont forget their giving them a custom solution/ship. so that would jack up the cost. big time. the koreans are more for doing what they can to win as much business as possible, and the labour cost being very low and the large infrastructure they have adds up to making a very cheap, effective and good ship.

Penguin

ELITE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2009

Incheon Displacement:

FFX Batch 2 is 122m and displaces 3650 tn, according to this poster

Likewise the AAW-oriented Batch 3 (length overall is 122.6m BUT 114.4 between perpendiculars)

https://defence.pk/threads/south-korea’s-navy-to-arm-its-latest-frigates-with-tactical-ship-to-land-missiles.446068/

Incheon v Batch 3 FFX

http://themess.net/forum/military-d...fx-batch-iii-anti-air-warfare-frigate-program

flamer84

BANNED
Mar 6, 2013
Country
Romania
FFX Batch 2 is 122m and displaces 3650 tn, according to this poster

Likewise the AAW-oriented Batch 3 (length overall is 122.6m BUT 114.4 between perpendiculars)

https://defence.pk/threads/south-korea’s-navy-to-arm-its-latest-frigates-with-tactical-ship-to-land-missiles.446068/

Incheon v Batch 3 FFX

http://themess.net/forum/military-d...fx-batch-iii-anti-air-warfare-frigate-program

Quit the chit chat.Romania is in the market for 4 corvettes.What are the specs for the Korean ships ? Anything less than 16 VLS is redundant for the Black Sea but at 650 million $ it sure beats 1.1 billion $ for 4 Gowinds.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom