• Thursday, December 14, 2017

How much is Pakistan losing by ignoring its largest minority?

Discussion in 'Social & Current Events' started by Devil Soul, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Devil Soul

Devil Soul ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +44 / 25,499 / -1
    Pakistan
    How much is Pakistan losing by ignoring its largest minority?
    Taneer AhmedUpdated December 04, 2017

The marginalisation and stigmatisation associated with disability have created unjust barriers to inclusion: a person with a disability is left disempowered, not just educationally and socially but also economically. Even if one ignores the ugly social dimension, the exclusion of this segment incurs a high cost to the economy, estimated at about Rs127 billion annually in Pakistan.

To add insult to injury, the money trail of around Rs7 million reported in the account of the Disabled Persons Rehabilitation Fund in 2014 and its utilisation could not be traced.

The World Report on Disability (WRD) for 2011 estimates that more than one billion people across the globe have some form of disability. One out of every seventh person you come across is likely a person with a disability (PWD).

Excluding people with disabilities incurs a high cost to the economy of at about Rs127 billion annually

Moving from the margins: Mainstreaming persons with disabilities in Pakistan, the Economist Intelligence Unit’s report produced for the British Council, emphasised the impact of this economic curtailment on the nation. In 2014, a loss of around $11.9bn to $15.4bn, or 4.9-6.6 per cent was incurred to the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) by excluding PWDs from the workforce. This figure could surpass $21.4bn by 2018.

Meanwhile, the government and local authorities have done deplorably little in the way of alleviating the burden of what is known as Pakistan’s largest minority. As a matter of fact, results of the population census 2017 served to further erase the presence of PWDs.

Our population was calculated to be 207.7 million, witnessing a staggering rise of 57pc from the 132.3m of the 1998 census. However, somewhat miraculously, PWDs have declined to 0.48pc from 2.54pc previously. This is in stark contrast to the current annual growth rate of disability which is 2.65pc per annum. It then stands to reason that in a developing country such as ours, ravaged by terrorism, disease, and consanguineous marriages, this estimate would be much higher.

Undoubtedly, the census data is severely misleading. The chief statistician of the Pakistan Bureau of Statistics (PBS), Asif Bajwa, has himself reportedly been quoted as saying that the figures “could not be treated as being perfectly realistic”.

The National Report on the census also addresses the inaccuracy by claiming that enumerators felt it was not “culturally sensitive” to ask people about the number or prevalence of PWDs in their households. Further detailed surveys were promised earlier, but there is an unsurprising dearth of updates on the situation. PBS officials, despite repeated requests, did not entertain questions regarding the issue.

These numbers are essential for organisations working for PWDs, imperative for policymaking and budget allocation. Dr Maryam Mallick, technical adviser on disabilities and rehabilitation at World Health Organisation (WHO) Pakistan, lamented the puzzling outcome of the census. She spoke about a Model Disability Survey carried out by the WHO in 2015 in Attock district, Punjab.

[​IMG]

“It was based on international standards; we followed the International Classification of Functioning, Disability and Health. Analysis of the data was done by the Public Health and Health Services Research Unit, Munich, Germany. According to it, the percentage of persons with disabilities was 15.5pc. And this is not national data, just district data.”

Dr Mallick also informed this writer about a similar upcoming Model Disability Survey of the WHO for the whole province of Punjab in coordination with the government. She was optimistic about future cooperation and admitted that “the government is showing commitment now, more than before”.

Many legal barricades also exist to employment. The job quota for PWDs was two per cent, according to the Disabled Persons (Employment and Rehabilitation) Ordinance of 1981, the state’s only comprehensive legislature of its kind.

After the 18th Constitutional Amendment in 2010, legislative powers were devolved to the provinces. For Punjab, the quota was increased to 3pc, whereas in Sindh it was reportedly raised to 5pc. Balochistan and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa have kept it at 2pc.

The provincial governments are expected to rehabilitate PWDs, and for such a purpose a number of organisations exist, but mostly on paper. Ergo, the role has been taken over by non-governmental organisations (NGO).

Karim Navroz Ali, manager of administration and finance at the Network of Organisations Working for People with Disabilities, Pakistan (NOWPDP), elaborated on the job quota: “Our interaction with people with disabilities shows that the implementation of the quota is very low. There is no official body to assess it either. At the government level, they are hired as peons or for clerical positions, mostly a political appointment.”

For 100 employees, companies are obligated to hire at least two PWDs. The consequence of not doing so is the payment of a fine worth the minimum wage of one employee — Rs15,000, into the Disabled Persons Rehabilitation Fund. “No companies pay as per my knowledge,” Mr Ali added.

”In Sindh, the Social Welfare Department exists for the collection of such funds, but hardly anyone pays into it.”

Attempts to trace the funds have so far been unsuccessful. The British Council’s report deemed it to be as high as Rs7m in 2014. There is no official mechanism or regulatory body to assess what the current amount is. The pertinent question remains unanswered: where is the money?

Published in Dawn, The Business and Finance Weekly, December 4th, 2017

2. somebozo

somebozo ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +6 / 17,515 / -8
    Pakistan
    Disability in Pakistan is rampant due to cousin marriage, the lower you go in social strata the higher occurrence of cousin marriage. This will slowly cripple the entire nation...once upon a time in KSA, upto 40% child birth in some regions were disabled.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. TheLahoriGuy

TheLahoriGuy FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0 / 269 / -0
    Pakistan
    What's happened has happened and I don't think our state has the ability to help these people.

However the future can be made better. Make cousin marriage illegal and it'll fix majority of these issues. Toss people in jail who don't have their children vaccinated. Population control will also prove to be effective because feeding a family of 5 is easier than feeding a family of 10.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Divergent

Divergent FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2 / 1,993 / -0
    United Kingdom
    Pakistan needs to appreciate most of its minorities and give them a stake within politics to represent the Nation as a whole despite religious indifferences.

5. Jaanbaz

Jaanbaz ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +13 / 12,005 / -7
    Pakistan
    Good luck with that, Pakistanis bring up religion to justify forcing their kids to marry their first cousins.

• Thanks Thanks x 5
  6. Divergent

Divergent FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2 / 1,993 / -0
    United Kingdom
    Ewww that is DISGUSTING!

I’m sorry but please stop! For goodness sake stop marrying your first cousins! Screw the emotional blackmail sh**. They will still remain your cousin’s without any further ‘relation’ required.

Wth

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Jaanbaz

Jaanbaz ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +13 / 12,005 / -7
    Pakistan
    How do you convince these older generation from Pakistan especially the ones who landed from a village to UK?

8. Kaptaan

Kaptaan PDF THINK TANK: CONSULTANT

Ratings:
    +146 / 18,443 / -5
    Pakistan
    Well, Pakistan might began by not ignoring the largest majority - the female half and a bit population of Pakistan. Then everything would tidy up nicely.

9. Divergent

Divergent FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2 / 1,993 / -0
    United Kingdom
    Honestly in my family they know not to go there, my grandparents aren’t relatives from both sides, my parents aren’t relatives so it has not been an issue for us.

However for those who are pushed and don’t want it should remain rigid and trust me no one is going to ‘die’. The way I see it is like this, would you rather tie the knot due to family pressure and still mess around and damage relations as well as distance them - when ironically you’re supposed to ‘tighten ties’ ?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. TheLahoriGuy

TheLahoriGuy FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0 / 269 / -0
    Pakistan
    Isn't this extremely common within British **** families ? Let's hope you don't have any cousins around your age :P

There are very little religious grounds to cover cousin marriage. I never understood it tbh. Since when does "strengthening family bonds" include having children with extra chromosomes ?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. DESERT FIGHTER

DESERT FIGHTER ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +99 / 69,823 / -21
    Pakistan
    Terror attack victims,polio n other things dont help much either.

Inlaws of one of my uncle's are into it too deep...

Infact my uncle is the only guy whom they married outside of their own family..

They have been doing cousin marriages since decades.... and till now have dodged the bullet.... but now even they are starting to think of not doing it ... else im pretty sure, theyd get the same results in the next gen...

12. Divergent

Divergent FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2 / 1,993 / -0
    United Kingdom
    Only the Queen and her Husband are cousins, but they have completely different Fathers. Going forward the rest were all Married to elites.

13. TheLahoriGuy

TheLahoriGuy FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0 / 269 / -0
    Pakistan
    I actually meant to type British Pakistani families but I wrote the shortened version of it and I don't think the forum was very amused.....

14. Divergent

Divergent FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2 / 1,993 / -0
    United Kingdom
    No unless you’re a Mirpuri -_- but it’s not a norm here, I think the kids here are against the idea and they make it VERY clear to the parents. Most just find their own spouse or advise their parents their types if they wish for family to look

15. RoadRunner401

RoadRunner401 FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0 / 1,881 / -0
    Pakistan
    Retarded, greedy and unqualified politicians are the problem in Pakistan they cant provide employment opportunities to able body people never mind people with disability

Cousin marriages, this has been a failed argument people with disabilities are born all over the world not just Pakistan or am I wrong here and no disable people are born anywhere else in the world, I would love to be proven wrong (My wife is not from my country or even the same continent, but I am also aware of the propaganda machine working hard to blame things on Pakistan)