• Saturday, January 18, 2020

HEC budget increased to 58 Billion PKR

Discussion in 'Pakistan Economy' started by SBD-3, Dec 8, 2013.

1. SBD-3

SBD-3 ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5 / 7,837 / -15
    Pakistan
    [​IMG]

2. Dubious

Dubious MODERATOR

Ratings:
    +77 / 71,412 / -0
    Pakistan
    Sounds good news...lets hope the deserved benefit and not everyone who has ties :unsure:

3. Ahmad Masood

Ahmad Masood FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1 / 313 / -2
    Pakistan
    Just 58 Billion PKR for higher education? That's 500 Million US$. Only Harvard University in the US spends around 4 Billion US$. Please see the link to know.
    http://vpf-web.harvard.edu/annualfinancial/pdfs/2013fullreport.pdf
    On the other hand, Pakistan's Annual budget is around 30 Billion US$. In short we are spending only 1.6% on higher education and this Baleegh Ur Rehman is licking government's arse. Shame on politicians. 100 Billion on a useless easy loan scheme and 58 billion for higher education (which includes research).

4. SBD-3

SBD-3 ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5 / 7,837 / -15
    Pakistan
    FYI, in Pakistan just 2% of the population gets opportunity to pursue masters degree and beyond. Not to mention the HEC's funding being utilized by the students who didn't return back.....More funding should be spent upon primary and secondary education since the dominant workforce of any country falls in this cadre.

5. Ahmad Masood

Ahmad Masood FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1 / 313 / -2
    Pakistan
    Budget 2013-14: Despite higher allocations, education still not a priority – The Express Tribune

Still not enough on Secondary education as compared to developing countries. Higher education and Research requires money. I am in no contrast with your idea of spending more on secondary education when UN reported that only 21% are literate in Pakistan a few days back. The 2% who receive master's don't even know the research methodologies. I had the experience of teaching at 3 Universities in Pakistan at Master's level and I know what I am talking about. None of those 3 public sector universities were running a research program in any field of business studies because of shortage of funds available.

Secondly, I uttered my utmost displeasure over this educational minister for whom 58 billion was too much. Mercedes (I ain't talking about Diamler group in all) spends more than 1.5 million US$ on R&D and our whole country will spend 500 million US$ in a year on higher education. Too less my friend. A country of more than 180 million and 500 million on higher education. Just less than 3US$ per year per capita.

A bit of correction required on Mercedes' example. 1.5million US$ / day on R&D.

Research and development

6. Pakistanisage

Pakistanisage PROFESSIONAL

Ratings:
    +19 / 15,771 / -1
    Pakistan
    I think this money would be better used to bring highly qualified Phd's from overseas ( first preference to Pakistani expatriates) to Pakistan rather than sending Pakistani students overseas.

For what we spend on sending 2 to 3 students overseas we can bring 1 Phd professor to Pakistan who can benefit 100's of students.

Each Professor teaches 4 classes and if each class has 30 students he is helping 120 students.

Also, we have high quality Phd's teaching in our institutions, we may be able to attract Foreign Students from Middle East and Central Asia which would actually pay not only pay the Salaries of these Phd's from overseas but actually make a huge profit for our institutions.

7. Dubious

Dubious MODERATOR

Ratings:
    +77 / 71,412 / -0
    Pakistan
    This is a good idea but many will not buy it...we are well known for not learning from history!

During the golden age of ANY EMPIRE....scholars, engineers, painters, poets and whatever a culture or education needs to grow were always "imported" into the country to educate the community as it was cheaper and better controlled!

I believe Pakistan should launch a collaboration expo or something...try and get collaborations with universities, collages and organizations to allow students a study abroad or a summer volunteer help kind of thing this will enable them to broaden their thinking and also to bring back ideas and develop them instead of sending kids of elites (please dont deny that at least 20% elites end up getting some form of scholarship because their daddy knows someone) dont end up abroad ....

8. Pakistanisage

Pakistanisage PROFESSIONAL

Ratings:
    +19 / 15,771 / -1
    Pakistan

I agree with you 100%. These people make such budgets so they can send their kids useless kids overseas who never come back to Pakistan to benefit Pakistan. It is far cheaper and moreefiicient use of Money to bring the Phd's at International Pay scales for few years to produce our own Phd's and this cost can be absorbed by inducting Foreign students into Pakistani Universities. Such a strategy would develop Pakistan Institutions rather than supporting Foreign Universities with Pakistani money.

9. Dubious

Dubious MODERATOR

Ratings:
    +77 / 71,412 / -0
    Pakistan
    I have been abroad soo long and so far I have seen soo many good collaborations between UK and India, India and Singapore, Malaysia and USA....

Seriously whats stopping Pakistan? What is the bhussa in the brains of those involved in these decisions?!

10. Ahmad Masood

Ahmad Masood FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1 / 313 / -2
    Pakistan
    Universities in Pakistan have faculty exchange programs; Quaid e Azam Uni, Punjab Uni, Karachi Uni, LUMS, SZABIST, EME and NUST all import loads of people from Colombia, George Washington, Florida State, Manchester Uni etc. Problem is shortage of finance. During Musharraf era HEC was backing public sector universities financially but now all government universities have to be self sufficient in generating finances. I have met Vice Chancellors of some universities and they put a lot of emphasis now on being profitable rather than quality oriented institutions.

PML(N) doesn't have laureates in their front line who can design and implement an effective educational plan.

11. RAMPAGE

RAMPAGE SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +15 / 10,387 / -6
    Pakistan
    We should invite cambridge/oxford to open their campus in Pakistan.

12. Dubious

Dubious MODERATOR

Ratings:
    +77 / 71,412 / -0
    Pakistan
    No surprise there...Same is happening in UK and SOME American uni too....THIS is what happens when you cut off funding....everything becomes a race for quantity ($) over quality

Well, if they were interested I am sure they could employ someone...I am afraid they prefer an uneducated population...it serves the purpose of the vote bank!

13. A.Rafay

A.Rafay ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +10 / 18,361 / -0
    Pakistan
    58 bn PKR what a joke!! :omghaha: but its Okkaay PM has decided to give 100bn RS for youth loans!!
    HEC should not have 100bn Rs instead it should be given for loans to educated youth so they can start small businesses!

@Leader @Jazzbot @Aeronaut

14. Bilal.

Bilal. SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5 / 2,885 / -0
    Our tertiary education net enrolment rate is around 10%, hopefully we can quickly reach 20-25% soon.

Do remember tertiary is also under higher education and Net enrolment rate for that is around 10%.

15. Counter-Errorist

Counter-Errorist FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +13 / 1,544 / -0
    Pakistan
    I wish we could've provided a KhanAcademy-esque approach to education.

Khan Academy

We establish an interactive video Urdu syllabus. Let students learn from home using an internet connection. Students invest in a cheap tablet and an internet. They pay minimal fees for administration who provide virtual supervisors - supervisors help out the students use the system, discuss their academic issues and act as motivators.