What's new

He Once Got Sachin Tendulkar Out, Now Famous Pakistan Bowler Arshad Khan Drives A Cab To Make A Livi

Chanakya's_Chant

Jul 22, 2013
Country
India
He Once Got Sachin Tendulkar Out, Now Famous Pakistan Bowler Arshad Khan Drives A Cab To Make A Living!

What are the career options for an international cricketer after quitting the sport? A plethora of options include coaching, a foray into cricket administration, running a business venture, acting in films, trying out luck as a politician or living a life of a retired pro in a beautiful island. However, for a certain Arshad Khan life after cricket is far from cosy.

On Monday, a post on Facebook from Ganesh Birle claimed that the former Pakistan offspinner is driving Uber Cab in Sydney.

"He was the driver of our cab and we started chatting, he told me that he is from Pakistan and lives in Sydney. Also that he has been to Hyderabad many times when he was playing for Lahore Badshahs something in ICL. After which I asked him his full name and then I was shocked to see his face which I could partially recognise. I shook has his hand and left," Ganesh Birle's post read.

"He was avoiding the conversation all the time, but at the same time he couldn't help but talk about his India connection. Imagine he introduced himself as 'I from Pakistan [sic] but I have been here in Sydney for long time now'. Also like a good Uber driver he offered us water and stuff when we sat in the car," he wrote.

Arshad made his debut for Pakistan in 1997-98 against West Indies and just in his third Test, took his only five-wicket haul against Sri Lanka in the Asian Test Championship final at Dhaka in 1999. With Saqlain Mushtaq, Mushtaq Ahmed and a rising talent in Danish Kaneria more preferred spinner in a fast-bowler dominated team, Arshad couldn't cement his place in the side. Nevertheless he went on to play nine Tests with 32 wickets and 58 ODIs taking 56 wickets. He signed up for the rebel Indian Cricket League in 2007, effectively ending his international career.

Arshad's last ODI wicket was none other than Sachin Tendulkar, when he got him out LBW after the Master Blaster had completed a century in Peshawar (pictured above, 2006). The match, which Pakistan won, was known more for the Inzamam-ul-Haq's bizarre dismissal by obstructing the field.

(With TNN inputs)

Source:- He Once Got Sachin Tendulkar Out, Now Famous Pakistan Bowler Arshad Khan Drives A Cab To Make A Living!

Maarkhoor

ELITE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2015
Country
Pakistan
If he lives in Pakistan he must have some respected Job but some people prefer to live abroad for money. He should try his luck in Australia for coaching in school / college level teams.

AZADPAKISTAN2009

ELITE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2009
Country
Pakistan
Well every one is paid based on performance, the article stated he was not good enough to break thru
However he was not able to join any other team.

Stuff like that happens in life , that is why there are other jobs in world
a) Coaching
b) Advisor
c) Teacher
d) Sports Analyst
e) Politician

He signed up for rebel Indian league with out permission which is why his career ended , again I don't agree why PCB had banned all cricketers from participation in ICL league lol IPL kicked out their selected players later

ICL had a good feel about it it did not had politics , untill the folks in IPL politicized it

Pakistan cricket board introduced a central contract system however domestic structure still has salaries paid for by Departments / companies etc

Last edited:

Arsalan

THINK TANK CHAIRMAN
Sep 29, 2008
Country
Pakistan
Nice read. However there is no shame in being a cab driver, as long as he is earning an honest living. He chose to move to Australia, the players are normally not very strong education wise so i don't think he would have much other options.

At least he is lucky to better then these:
Top 15 Footballers Who Went From Riches to Rags - TheSportster

The lavish sport life have its fair share of tragedies as well, from injuries to scandals to financial troubles.

Last edited:

Chanakya's_Chant

Jul 22, 2013
Country
India
Nice read. However there is no shame in being a cab driver, as long as he is earning an honest living. He chose to move to Australia, the players are normally not very strong education wise so i don't think he would have much other options.

At least he is lucky to better then these:
Top 15 Footballers Who Went From Riches to Rags - TheSportster

The lavish sport life have its fair share of tragedies as well, from injuries to scandals to financial troubles.
Actually being a Uber cab driver is not at all a shame - here in India Uber or Ola (Indian counterpart of Uber) cab drivers earn at least INR 90,000 and up to INR 1,20,000 max per month - that's around PKR 1,41,070 to PKR 1,88,094 per month. By South Asian standards and cost of living - this is way too much for an average cab driver to earn!

Uber drivers can earn at least Rs 90,000 per month - The Times of India
Not kidding, Uber drivers in India can make around Rs 1.2 lakh a month - Firstpost

xyxmt

BANNED
Apr 27, 2012
Country
Pakistan
There is nothing wrong with driving a cab, I think better than playing cricket unless off course you are a star player in a national team which is 11 out of millions.

Makaramarma

BANNED
Jul 15, 2014
Country
India
Trust an elitist Indian to look down upon the labour class and post it on Face book. :disagree:

He had a option to praise the man for earning his living with dignity, instead he is shamed to see him as a blue collar worker.

Sam.

Mar 1, 2013
Country
India
Trust an elitist Indian to look down upon the labour class and post it on Face book. :disagree:

He had a option to praise the man for earning his living with dignity, instead he is shamed to see him as a blue collar worker.
I hate those Indian elite. A man is making a honest living and doesn't matter what he is doing. Everyone should respect the man.

No work is below anyone.

Arsalan

THINK TANK CHAIRMAN
Sep 29, 2008
Country
Pakistan
Actually being a Uber cab driver is not at all a shame - here in India Uber or Ola (Indian counterpart of Uber) cab drivers earn at least INR 90,000 and up to INR 1,20,000 max per month - that's around PKR 1,41,070 to PKR 1,88,094 per month. By South Asian standards and cost of living - this is way too much for an average cab driver to earn!

Uber drivers can earn at least Rs 90,000 per month - The Times of India
Not kidding, Uber drivers in India can make around Rs 1.2 lakh a month - Firstpost
Exactly,
Also the thing is, regardless the amount one can earn, it is good clean honest money. No sham is working hard and earning your. :)
Besides, no disrespect to the man, Arshad was not an excellent bowler, when you have millions of people to chose from there were bound the be much better options then his bowling so yes he was not part of the team for long time. Also if the bowling is good there are lot of opportunities to play domestic cricket in Australia and England. If he chose this profession it is his choice and i respect him for choosing an honest way of living.

Devil Soul

ELITE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2010
Country
Pakistan
..... Honest Decent Living is what matters.... instead of crying & whining the guy is working hard to make a decent living with dignity... Well Done

I remember reading about Chris Cairns driving a bus to survive.

Viking 63

Sep 6, 2013
Country
Pakistan
Nothing wrong in making a honest living.
Remember Mr. Brown from MIND YOUR LANGAUGE fame despite being a very famous Film/TV actor in England he died driving a Black Cab in London.

AZADPAKISTAN2009

ELITE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2009
Country
Pakistan
Not to blow your bubbles cab drivers make good 60,000 -80,000 in western societies or even more as their expenses are tax deductable

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)