What's new

Global Hunger Index 2019

Jyotish

Oct 8, 2018
Country
Suriname
GLOBAL HUNGER INDEX 2019

15 October 2019

How are the Global Hunger Index (GHI) scores calculated?

GHI scores are calculated using a three-step process that draws on available data from various sources to capture the multidimensional nature of hunger.

First, for each country, values are determined for four indicators:

1. UNDERNOURISHMENT: the share of the population that is undernourished (that is, whose caloric intake is insufficient)

2. CHILD WASTING: the share of children under the age of five who are wasted (that is, who have low weight for their height, reflecting acute undernutrition)

3. CHILD STUNTING: the share of children under the age of five who are stunted (that is, who have low height for their age, reflecting chronic undernutrition)

4. CHILD MORTALITY: the mortality rate of children under the age of five (in part, a reflection of the fatal mix of inadequate nutrition and unhealthy environments)

Second, each of the four component indicators is given a standardized score on a 100-point scale based on the highest observed level for the indicator on a global scale in recent decades.

Third, standardized scores are aggregated to calculate the GHI score for each country, with each of the three dimensions (inadequate food supply; child mortality; and child undernutrition, which is composed equally of child stunting and child wasting) given equal weight.

Global Hunger Index 2019 World map

2019 Global Hunger Index-page-026.jpg
2019 Global Hunger Index-page-027.jpg

Global Hunger Index 2019 Ranking

2019 Global Hunger Index-page-017.jpg

Source and full report:
https://admin.concern.net/sites/default/files/documents/2019-10/2019 Global Hunger Index.pdf

dBSPL

Mar 2, 2018
Country
Albania
So its an another indicator, which in terms of individual welfare level Pakistan equal to India.

The only thing favoring India in the regional competition is the population density and thus the relative rate of economic activities. But it has disadvantages as well. I think I need a little work on this.

KhanBaba2

Feb 10, 2019
Country
India
So its an another indicator, which in terms of individual welfare level Pakistan equal to India.

The only thing favoring India in the regional competition is the population density and thus the relative rate of economic activities. But it has disadvantages as well. I think I need a little work on this.
Actually Pakistan seems to be quite a bit better here.

Aug 5, 2019
Country
United Kingdom
Consistent and continued progress by Iran despite illegal inhumane US sanctions that impede even humanitarian trade (e.g. import of food and medicine).

In 2000, Iran was far behind Saudi Arabia on this metric. Today in 2019, Iran is comfortably ahead of Saudi Arabia.

Impressive.

Last edited:

Gandhi G in da house

ELITE MEMBER
Nov 5, 2010
Country
India
I have seen rank 102 chutyas doing bhooka nanga jokes on guys from 94

So why not???

Both parties become Chutya then. Great. Hunger situation is "serious" in both countries as per the report. And in the last GHI report Pakistan was behind India. So either side calling the other bhooka are chutyas.

Thamizh Puli

Aug 24, 2019
Country
India
Indians and Pakistanis arguing about hunger index is like two blind people arguing who had better vision. It is shameful that there is ANY hunger in this sub-continent which is one of the most blessed in the world.

CIA Mole

May 1, 2019
Country
United States
Are things really that bad?

People in South Asia really starving like Africa?

I've always felt like Pakistan and India have plenty of food at affordable prices.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)