• Thursday, June 27, 2019

GDP is not going down, No Slow Growth in PAKISTAN Says Chairman FBR Shabbar Zaidi

Discussion in 'Pakistan Economy' started by Shahzaz ud din, May 25, 2019.

1. Shahzaz ud din

Shahzaz ud din SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5 / 6,175 / -0
    Pakistan
    GDP is not going down, No Slow Growth in PAKISTAN Says Chairman FBR Shabbar Zaidi

• Thanks Thanks x 6
  2. Mrc

Mrc ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4 / 8,410 / -5
    Pakistan
    He is
    He is right...

Even large brands in Pakistan don't declare their sale honestly... More than 50 %economy is undocumented

• Thanks Thanks x 9
  3. Sidacca

Sidacca FULL MEMBER

New Recruit

Ratings:
    +0 / 55 / -0
    Pakistan
    This Man Is capable of doing alot...... father of Pwc not a joke..... Wish you best of luck Sir

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  4. I.R.A

I.R.A ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +14 / 12,463 / -3
    Pakistan
    Come June and we will see if he can manage to collect the extra 75 bln without squeezing the salaried class. Hopefully he gets most of the undocumented economy declared and documented. Its not an easy task, it involves lot of educating the people and changing the way they think. Just imagine Shabar Zaidi having discussion with a Kabaria from FATA.

He is not father of PWC ..... ????????????

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  5. CrazyZ

CrazyZ FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0 / 1,083 / -0
    Pakistan
    We need 10% growth. Boost exports, invest in energy and transportation.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  6. Yaseen1

Yaseen1 SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0 / 3,719 / -6
    Pakistan
    why he not said the same before he was appointed as chairman fbr ,at that time he was talking about bad economic conditions which creates doubts on his claims and when interest rates are high growth will decline as it is expensive to borrow money and fund new businesses

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  7. Abdussamad

Abdussamad FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0 / 325 / -2
    Pakistan
    So he's following the PTI practice of lying about the economy. I think this dawn article summarizes the problem nicely:

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  8. ziaulislam

ziaulislam ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +10 / 7,858 / -2
    Pakistan
    Its not about capability ..its about support

Start wuth fact and than spin around it with conjecture ..
    This is art of lying..
    What does PM doing dam fund raising and popping or spending a day in banigala has to do with economy

First priority was to control current deficit of 1200% more than what led PPPP do 50% devaluation and 23% inflation and almost zero growth, as asad umar puts IMF wanted similar measures, if this is true than IK team did pull off a miracle solving the CAD over a year period while keeping the growth at reasonable pace and inflation at a reasonable single digit level
    While tax performance i agree was similar to last 70 years no wonders were done..now will the new boss fail as well..will see but if he fails so does PTI..

But ingrave the 1200% FACT in MIND..or 12 TIMES

In actual figures 24 b$ of projected deficits

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    • Thanks Thanks x 4
  9. Meengla

Meengla SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +9 / 4,219 / -0
    Pakistan
    I hope the FBR Chairman is correct. I think the current govt's feet is being forcefully drawn to the fire by media, politicians and the general population and so people are working feverishly to correct the wrongs of past decade.

PS. Mr. Zaidi does remind me of India's General Bakshi :)

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. ziaulislam

ziaulislam ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +10 / 7,858 / -2
    Pakistan
    we will see whether PTI govt fails or not
    but i agree with assessment that they failed to fix FBR in 10 months..the key word is 10 months..

the new team wants amnesty because it believes that if amnesty is not done, the shock of forceful confiscation might lead to 1970s situation..though i might disagree but its difference of opinion..however i am glad that they are stating its the last one, and shouldnt definitively be the last one

as FBR chief as always said tax is nothing but documentation, so i hope they move towards cashless economy by using a carrot and stick(for example forcing the retail and hotel sector to accept cash less payments or cancel their permit)

now it cant be VISA/MASTER alone as its too expensive, we need our own payment system just like the Chinese did

• Thanks Thanks x 5
  11. nahtanbob

nahtanbob SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0 / 1,351 / -19
    United States
    What is this forced confiscation ?? it sounds like nationalization packaged in a new terminology

12. tkmd

tkmd FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0 / 97 / -0
    If the economy is doing as good as he says why is the military taking a budget cut?

He has a point about undocumented economy but let's not kid ourselves. It's not as if 100 billion in transactions are being hidden. At most it's a couple billion.

His job is revenue and uprooting the culture of not paying taxes. He has no purview over anything else. He should just say this is not my area and go talk to the finance ministry or PMs office.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  13. ziaulislam

ziaulislam ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +10 / 7,858 / -2
    Pakistan
    pakistan 40% economy is informal to avoid high taxation.
    government had two options
    1. confiscate that informal economy
    2. give amnesty to regularize it with amnesty scheme

economy may be good(~4% growth) but fiscal situation is terrible, massive devaluation will help in balancing the books

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Turingsage

Turingsage BANNED

Ratings:
    +0 / 1,378 / -15
    India
    This 40% figure is pure unadulterated fiction, The same fiction that promised a fix in 90 days. committing suicide if Pakistan went to the IMF. Hundreds of billions in secret accounts. Oil reserves greater than Saudi in Pakistan. Breaking the begging bowl. Pakistan's launch of the hubble telescope. etc etc.
    One could go on and on with the daily fiction being generated by Pakistan's only growth industry. Telling porky pies.
    By the way you cannot confiscate the informal economy because by its very nature its hidden and disguised. The size of that economy is pure guesswork. You can say 5% or 55% no one can prove you right or wrong.
    The people who are avoiding taxes have accounts with the govt owned SBP and the SBP categorically refuses to disclose the owners of these accounts to the FBR, let alone the value of those accounts.
    In other words the State refuses to name the Tax cheats and wants to protect them

• Thanks Thanks x 4
  15. ziaulislam

ziaulislam ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +10 / 7,858 / -2
    Pakistan
    yes its fiction, this number can range from 10-40%, world bank puts it at 20%
    every country GDP accounts for some of this unknown data..so it doesnt mean adding this will increase the size of GDP