bluesky

ELITE MEMBER
Jun 14, 2016
Country
Bangladesh

Four more products will receive cash incentives against export, says BB
Published: September 20, 2021 21:16:31

Four more products will receive cash incentives against export, says BB

Four more products will get cash incentives from the government against their exports, according to the central bank.

The new products, each of which will receive the cash support at the rate of 4.0 per cent over their export value, are locally produced tea, bicycle and its parts, MS Steel products and cement sheet, said a Bangladesh Bank (BB) circular, issued by foreign exchange policy department on Monday.

The exporting firm or any individual can claim the incentives by submitting one or more applications within 360 days of receiving the export value, reports UNB.

However, the normal system of submitting the audit reports will be applicable in this regard. The new order will be effective from fiscal 21-22. In this case, each of the product's local value addition has to be a minimum of 30 per cent.

At present, some 38 items of local products have been receiving the cash incentives against the export at different rates one per cent to the highest 20 per cent. The current incentives for these items will continue.

The BB circular also mentioned that cash incentives will also be provided for the export of the products produced in the export processing zones, economic zones and hi-tech parks under A, B and C categories.

Besides, cash incentives at the rate of 4.0 per cent will be provided for export of IT services and software by individual freelancers. But their claim has to be authenticated by the Department of Information and Communication Technology and freelancers need to have government certificates.

Apart from this, float glass sheet, opal glass wire, cast iron and aluminium engineering products,
and light engineering products will be considered for export subsidy. As well as high-tech products (compressors) and HCFC-free refrigerators as electronic products will receive export subsidies under the consumer electronics, electrical home and kitchen appliance sectors.

mb444

Apr 18, 2012
Country
United Kingdom
Good news..... expedite export subsidy for white goods.... GoB needs to support walton and others in this field. Other three areas in my mind should be jute products, leather goods and IT sector if they are not already getting it.

bluesky

ELITE MEMBER
Jun 14, 2016
Country
Bangladesh
Apart from this,
- the float glass sheet,
- opal glass wire,
- cast iron and aluminum engineering products and
- light engineering products will be considered for export subsidy.
- As well as high-tech products (compressors) and
- HCFC-free refrigerators as electronic products will receive export subsidies under the consumer electronics, electrical home and kitchen appliance sectors.
I have intentionally re-wrote the paragraph to clarify what export items will come under the cash incentive scheme. While I have been shouting and crying all the time here that the country is not building mechanical/ electrical goods, now I see very encouraging news that says the country is either already exporting those goods or is preparing itself to export them.

This made me very happy. Export or no export, the issue is the local production of mechanical/ electrical/ electronic goods. BD is certainly progressing.

Bilal9

ELITE MEMBER
Feb 4, 2014
Country
Bangladesh
I have intentionally re-wrote the paragraph to clarify what export items will come under the cash incentive scheme. While I have been shouting and crying all the time here that the country is not building mechanical/ electrical goods, now I see very encouraging news that says the country is either already exporting those goods or is preparing itself to export them.

This made me very happy. Export or no export, the issue is the local production of mechanical/ electrical/ electronic goods. BD is certainly progressing.
Good to see your positivity @bluesky bhai.

By the way, opal glassware item AKA Pyrex (if you do not know already) is Corelle type glassware and dinnerware. These are very popular in subcontinental households as they are inexpensive, relatively lightweight and breakage resistant, easy to clean and last for many decades. They can also be taken straight from Freezer to Microwave to dishwasher without fear of breakage.

Here is opal glassware from Nasir Glass (one of many in Bangladesh)

Nasir Opal Glass (Pyrex) manufacturing line in Mirzapur, Tangail.

they also make other types of uncut lead crystal and lead-free glassware items, mixing bowls,

Originally Opal Glass (Pyrex) glassware were made in France, but now they are made all over Asia. But they are better to be made locally, as transport is expensive.

In float glass sector as well, PHP Group and Nasir Glass are both high quality manufacturers.

PHP float glass line

The image below shows an installation in Dhaka (looks like near the stadium area in Baitul Mukarram) done using PHP Laminate glass cladding and support.

PHP FLOAT GLASS INDUSTRIES LTD. situated in Barabkunda in CTG has annual production capacity of 40,000 MT (approx. 4.0 million square meters at an average thickness of 4 mm). They have immediate plans to double capacity, as local demand for float glass (for Building external cladding especially) has far exceeded local production. PHP FGIL was set up with production of Clear and colored float glass sheets in mind. PHP have enriched the country’s building construction industry with import substitute products. They offer multiple glass classing choices that are environment-friendly and enhance architectural designs.

To accommodate a composite solution for glass products, PHP FGIL has installed a high quality Silver Mirror plant in 2008, using latest technology. It produces silver mirror of different sizes and thickness (3 to 8 mm) following the ISO and other Standards. They follow Japanese International Standard- JIS R3202 and JC/T871-2000 for Silver Coated Glass Mirror. The capacity of Silver Coated Mirror plant is 7,00,000 Square Meter based on single shift operation.

PHP FGIL has also set up glass processing line and started production of Glass Edging / Beveling / OG Molding / Drilling & Tempered Glass from January- 2012.

PHP Tempered Glass is being produced from latest European Oscillating Tempering furnace with high glass quality for fulfilling the growing market need. Tempered unit production capacity is 74 M2 / Hour with 100% loading surface for 10 mm glass.

Here is Nasir Float Glass line and other associated factories, The structures were built by PEBSAL which is Bangladesh best metal building manufacturer.

Nasir Glass uses state-of-the-art Italian Bavelloni Equipment to Cut and Bevel their Float glass.

Last edited:

mb444

Apr 18, 2012
Country
United Kingdom

All of these are being exported. BD export subsidy always kicks in to grow an established but nascent sector.

We rarely offer support for creation of new export markets. We need to address this.

BD provides support for in country creation of new ventures by offering assistance and tax breaks for capital machinery only.

We need to support market makers and entrepreneurs more innovatively. I suppose it is a work in process but more or less entrepreneurs are on their own until through their own effort they get up to certain size before they enter government policy support radar.

Bilal9

ELITE MEMBER
Feb 4, 2014
Country
Bangladesh
The top video shows light ceramics. Is it not called melamine?
No @bluesky bhai. Melamine is lightweight (is a thermoset plastic and one of the first generation plastics invented many years ago) - it is definitely not the same thing as Ceramic.

Although gloss-coated sometimes for appearance, Melamine does not have as much native shine as Opal glass or ceramics do, you can see this in older melamine items. Ceramics by the way is on average much heavier than either melamine or opal glass/Pyrex. Melamine plastic was invented around the 1930's, our newer plastics PP/PS etc. were invented much later.

Newer design crockeries (either ceramics or Pyrex) are much thinner and lighter than previous products from say twenty years ago.
Opal glassware is made out of melamine... so yes the same product is referred by both terms
I would have to respectfully disagree. Opal glass is simply glass with a milky additive added for opacity during melted condition.

Melamine is a thermoset plastic/resin. Opal Glass and Melamine are different items.

Nasir glass pioneered opal glassware in Bangladesh sometime ago, and of course now, their production of opal glassware is huge.

Last edited:

bluesky

ELITE MEMBER
Jun 14, 2016
Country
Bangladesh
Opal glassware is made out of melamine... so yes the same product is referred by both terms
I am not an expert on plastic, melamine, or ceramic. So, how do you think @Bilal9's explanation that Opal and Melamine are different?

By the way, the Opal products will have a ready local market as well as markets in the neighboring countries including also Afghanistan and Central Asian countries. I also think some ASEAN member countries may have demand for this product. Most people there are not that rich who can buy ceramics.

Bilal9

ELITE MEMBER
Feb 4, 2014
Country
Bangladesh
I am not an expert on plastic, melamine, or ceramic. So, how do you think @Bilal9's explanation that Opal and Melamine are different?

By the way, the Opal products will have a ready local market as well as markets in the neighboring countries including also Afghanistan and Central Asian countries. I also think some ASEAN member countries may have demand for this product. Most people there are not that rich who can buy ceramics.
You are correct @bluesky bhai, Corelle type Pyrex dinnerware has huge market, even in rest of Asia, where living standards are going up every year. They are in most cases a lot less expensive than Porcelain or Ceramic dinnerware.

Here is a video from Corelle's factory in Corning, NY. You can see that their dinnerware making process from melted silica sand into glass - though using some manual labor, is highly automated and computerized. In some cases they are also using robotic arms to save labor in critical/precise processes.

Compared to this Melamine dinnerware is made using heated hydraulic presses which compress and melt melamine powder into bowl and late shapes. Melamine as I mentioned before is a 'thermoset' plastic, once melted and formed, it cannot be re-heated and re-shaped. This is of course not true of Poly Ethylene, Poly Propylene, PVC and Poly Styrene plastics which are newer and can be recycled into new products.

The confusion of appearance between Pyrex/opal glass and melamine is because melamine is often given a glazed finish on top of its dull appearance to look like glass. With time (ten years or so) this glaze topcoat fades away. Glass of course retains its glaze shine for a much longer time, often thousands of years. I have seen Egyptian glassware in a museum (Tutan-khamun's funeral items) made five thousand years ago which look like they were made yesterday.

bluesky

ELITE MEMBER
Jun 14, 2016
Country
Bangladesh
Good to see your positivity @bluesky bhai.

By the way, opal glassware item AKA Pyrex (if you do not know already) is Corelle type glassware and dinnerware. These are very popular in subcontinental households as they are inexpensive, relatively lightweight and breakage resistant, easy to clean and last for many decades. They can also be taken straight from Freezer to Microwave to dishwasher without fear of breakage.

Here is opal glassware from Nasir Glass (one of many in Bangladesh)

Nasir Opal Glass (Pyrex) manufacturing line in Mirzapur, Tangail.

they also make other types of uncut lead crystal and lead-free glassware items, mixing bowls,

Originally Opal Glass (Pyrex) glassware were made in France, but now they are made all over Asia. But they are better to be made locally, as transport is expensive.

In float glass sector as well, PHP Group and Nasir Glass are both high quality manufacturers.

PHP float glass line

The image below shows an installation in Dhaka (looks like near the stadium area in Baitul Mukarram) done using PHP Laminate glass cladding and support.

PHP FLOAT GLASS INDUSTRIES LTD. situated in Barabkunda in CTG has annual production capacity of 40,000 MT (approx. 4.0 million square meters at an average thickness of 4 mm). They have immediate plans to double capacity, as local demand for float glass (for Building external cladding especially) has far exceeded local production. PHP FGIL was set up with production of Clear and colored float glass sheets in mind. PHP have enriched the country’s building construction industry with import substitute products. They offer multiple glass classing choices that are environment-friendly and enhance architectural designs.

To accommodate a composite solution for glass products, PHP FGIL has installed a high quality Silver Mirror plant in 2008, using latest technology. It produces silver mirror of different sizes and thickness (3 to 8 mm) following the ISO and other Standards. They follow Japanese International Standard- JIS R3202 and JC/T871-2000 for Silver Coated Glass Mirror. The capacity of Silver Coated Mirror plant is 7,00,000 Square Meter based on single shift operation.

PHP FGIL has also set up glass processing line and started production of Glass Edging / Beveling / OG Molding / Drilling & Tempered Glass from January- 2012.

PHP Tempered Glass is being produced from latest European Oscillating Tempering furnace with high glass quality for fulfilling the growing market need. Tempered unit production capacity is 74 M2 / Hour with 100% loading surface for 10 mm glass.

Here is Nasir Float Glass line and other associated factories, The structures were built by PEBSAL which is Bangladesh best metal building manufacturer.

Nasir Glass uses state-of-the-art Italian Bavelloni Equipment to Cut and Bevel their Float glass.

Thanks for the elaborate input. To all, I would like to say about a very special type of product from the broken glasses. This is called "Glass Wool" which is extensively used as 断熱材 (Dannetsuzai) or Heat Insulation Materials under the concrete floors in apartment houses in Japan and other cold countries.

I only recently became aware that the material is a derivative from glasses, broken or solid.

It really surprised me. I minutely touched a few plates of unused insulation material and they are not at all sharp. I checked the Internet and found it to have derived from broken glasses. Glasses are overheated and somehow it is produced, I don't know how it is done. It is like thick strands of long threads bound together.

So, in the future, BD glass companies may be induced to produce this item for exporting to cold countries. This item is not fancy but protects the families from cold.

It must have a vast export market throughout the northern hemisphere.

Bilal9

ELITE MEMBER
Feb 4, 2014
Country
Bangladesh
Thanks for the elaborate input. To all, I would like to say about a very special type of product from the broken glasses. This is called "Glass Wool" which is extensively used as 断熱材 (Dannetsuzai) or Heat Insulation Materials under the concrete floors in apartment houses in Japan and other cold countries.

I only recently became aware that the material is a derivative from glasses, broken or solid.

It really surprised me. I minutely touched a few plates of unused insulation material and they are not at all sharp. I checked the Internet and found it to have derived from broken glasses. Glasses are overheated and somehow it is produced, I don't know how it is done. It is like thick strands of long threads bound together.

So, in the future, BD glass companies may be induced to produce this item for exporting to cold countries. This item is not fancy but protects the families from cold.

It must have a vast export market throughout the northern hemisphere.
Glass-fibre insulation (Glass wool) has been used in the USA since the early 1930's. However wood-fibre (wood-wool) nowadays is the new alterative. Wood wool or Holz-wolle as it is known in Germany - is slowly getting introduced in Canada and US.

One must use masks to prevent ingestion of glass fibre in lungs as it may cause lung cancer (US rules mandate mask use). Wood wool causes little such issues. But mask use is preferred in any case.

Glass wool batting for insulating floors and ceilings commonly used in USA. Owens-Corning is a large vendor.

Holzwolle or wood wool which is bio-degradable

Bilal9

ELITE MEMBER
Feb 4, 2014
Country
Bangladesh
Wood wool is certainly a better option than glass wool. Forests can be re-created causing little/ no environmental pollution.
Agree @bluesky bhai. I am planning a home addition, so I can share some insulation practices here in the US, though I don't really live in a cold climate. Sorry for too much information about OT subject.

Insulation is used in many different ways in the US, you can use fibreglass or cellulose sheet batting like I mentioned above (in between roof beams/kori-borga or in between wooden wall columns/studs after which you use gypsum board to cover studs), All insulation has R values depending on density of batting and layering thickness. Standards are set by local home builders according to federal standards.

Spray on for ceiling/roof,

More recently foam insulation is more popular in cold climates, both sheet or liquid spray type. Here is foam being applied as chemical which expands and is shaved away.

Small quantities can be applied using a canister

Insulation Sheets are available in Beaded foam (EPS) and Urethane (rigid hard pink/blue foam) form...these have very high R-value (insulating capacity)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom