• Friday, August 14, 2020

Former footballer plans to organise league worth Rs 1 billion in Pakistan

Discussion in 'Sports' started by jericho, May 18, 2020.

1. jericho

jericho FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2 / 2,005 / -1
    Pakistan
    Former footballer plans to organise league worth Rs 1 billion in Pakistan

Alam Zeb Safi

May 11, 2020

KARACHI: Former national footballer Shahid Khan Shinwari on Sunday said that he can organise a franchise-based football league worth Rs 1 billion which will change the whole complexion of the sport in the country.

“I can bring football revolution as I can hold a franchise-based football league worth Rs 1 billion if no body obstructs my way. I can engage both national and international business community in achieving the goal,” Shahid told ‘The News’ in an interview.

Shahid is a renowned business tycoon and is also the convener of the FPCCI Pak Afghan Central Asia Trade.

He is a former national striker, having represented both Pakistan Air Force (PAF) and Afghan FC in domestic leagues. He also attended national camps several times but could not get time to represent the country due to his business engagement.

“But one thing I will make clear is that I will keep the ownership of the league. The Pakistan Football Federation (PFF) can give me only technical support,” Shahid was quick to add.

“I have strong contacts with the sponsors and business community both at home and abroad and I will achieve my goal one day,’ said Shahid, also a former president of FATA Olympic Association which has now been merged in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.

Football is a huge sport, being played in the entire world unlike cricket. I have told the PTI leadership that through football, Pakistan can improve its economy,” he said.

Shahid was unlucky not to organise a Rs 300 million Pakistan Football Super League (PFSL) last year when he was served a legal notice by the Ashfaq-led PFF and not allowed to go for the ambitious project which he had announced in March 2019.

“I had taken permission from the FIFA-recognised PFF led by Faisal Saleh Hayat because we had to engage foreign players too, four in each side of the five-team event. But we got a letter from Ashfaq-led PFF duly signed by its acting secretary Col Farasat and also served a legal notice to me and that is why I did not go for that,” Shahid recalled.

“I had worked very hard for that league, had engaged top players and had also invited Pakistan’s star footballer Kaleemullah from Turkey. I had engaged big sponsors and had cordial relations with the government,” he lamented.

“I had spent a lot of amount on preparation, had talked to Iran, UAE, Thailand and other Arab countries but permission issue foiled all my efforts,” added Shahid.

“I had also managed People’s Sports Complex Karachi, Punjab Stadium Lahore and Qayyum Sports Complex Peshawar as venues for the league,” he said.

Meanwhile, Shahid has also been named as senior vice-president of the Central Governing Committee of the Insaaf Sports and Culture Wing as per notification, a copy of which is available with this correspondent.

Shahid and other members of the committee will take oath in Islamabad on Monday (today).

Shah Zaman Alam will serve as president of the committee. The 17-member wing also include international badminton coach Raziuddin Ahmed who knows a lot about Pakistan’s sports.

“We will try our level best to play a positive role for the development of sports being part of the committee,” Shahid said.

“What I personally feel we will try to work jointly with the relevant authorities so that state of the art international level sports infrastructure is provided to the athletes in the provinces, particularly in those federating units like KP and Punjab where PTI is in power,” he said.

https://www.thenews.com.pk/print/65...rganise-league-worth-rs-1-billion-in-pakistan

• Thanks Thanks x 13
  2. masterchief_mirza

masterchief_mirza SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +13 / 13,741 / -1
    Pakistan
    Do it. I will pay to watch it.

• Thanks Thanks x 12
  3. Dil Pakistan

Dil Pakistan SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0 / 3,987 / -0
    Pakistan
    Fantastic idea.

He should open a franchise with others to invest in it. I will invest.

This is a business opportunity waiting to be tapped.

• Thanks Thanks x 4
  4. Indus Pakistan

Indus Pakistan ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +192 / 49,324 / -12
    Pakistan
    Hurraaah ..... Pakistan has lots of talent in Quetta, Peshawar and Siddi Mekranis.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  5. Pakistansdefender

Pakistansdefender SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2 / 2,948 / -0
    Pakistan
    Do we even have any football stadiums? Sadly we should have atleast 3 or 4. I don't think we have even 1. Or not even of any standard.
    If happens would be great. Would only become popular if foreign players arrive. And media would be paid heavily to make it an event.
    I have seen many kids and friends of mine who are crazy about football even though it has no paksitani team or pakistani and they are like mad for the game.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. jericho

jericho FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2 / 2,005 / -1
    Pakistan
    Government willing to help us organise PFSL: Shahid

KARACHI: Former footballer Shahid Khan Shinwari on Saturday said that the government is committed to help him in organising the franchise-based Pakistan Football Super League (PFSL) .

“We held a meeting in Islamabad the other day and InshaAllah the government will back me fully in staging the lucrative league. All the members have been given task,” Shahid told ‘The News’.

“We will also meet Prime Minister Imran Khan and chief ministers of all provinces before organising the tournament,” he added.

Shahid is the senior vice-president of the Central Governing Committee of the Insaaf Sports and Culture Wing, whose objectives include promotion of football in the country.

Shahid said that he will try to hold the league by next year’s spring.

“Our main target will be to conduct it by spring next year,” he said.

He hoped that by then the PFF elections would be held, adding, if elections were not held then they will work with the PFF Normalisation Committee.

Shahid, a few days ago, had told this correspondent that he is going to organise a Rs 1 billion league.

He said top players will be picked for the draft and from there franchises would pick their players in auction.

Shahid said that a team will comprise of 25 members, including officials, adding that each franchise will be able to pick four foreign players.

Shahid said that it will be the first time that such a big league tournament will be held in the country.

This will bring a revolution in Pakistan football,” said Shahid, also a former president of FATA Olympic Association.

He last year in March had announced Rs 300 million league but was not allowed by the Ashfaq-led PFF to go for it.

https://www.thenews.com.pk/print/659765-government-willing-to-help-us-organise-pfsl-shahid

7. Hiraa

Hiraa FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0 / 2,256 / -0
    Pakistan
    YESSSS!
    Do it.
    Please.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Dil Pakistan

Dil Pakistan SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0 / 3,987 / -0
    Pakistan
    International Football federation will give lot of money for this.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Safriz

Safriz BANNED

Ratings:
    +6 / 11,089 / -7
    Pakistan
    I still remember the entire Pakistani football team sent to Japan disappeared and after that countries were reluctant the issue visas to Pakistan football squad.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Dalit

Dalit ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2 / 17,164 / -18
    Pakistan
    This usually happens with players belonging to many developing nations. It is an embarrassment. There is one way to fix this problem. Screen the players and have a serious setup with proper salaries. Once you give players an incentive they not only become good ambassadors of their country, but also take their jobs seriously.

I will give an arm and a leg to see Pakistan setup a good league. Since my childhood I have played for the Ajax youth academy in The Netherlands. Football is part of my life and I still play it. It is my dream to see Pakistan progress in football. Cricket is fine, but Pakistan needs to really invest in football.

• Thanks Thanks x 4
  11. jericho

jericho FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2 / 2,005 / -1
    Pakistan
    I agree. Football, along with squash (we had legends ruling this sport for decades), hockey (national sport) , tennis (popular) should be promoted more. There is too much focus on cricket

12. Alternatiiv

Alternatiiv SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +19 / 7,346 / -0
    Pakistan
    So many football fans in Pakistan, big potential in the sport. If he has told the Government, why isn't the Government assisting him?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Crusher

Crusher SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5 / 4,282 / -2
    Pakistan
    Volleyball also needs such financial support, it is also a popular sport in Pakistan though they play volleyball mostly as "shooting volleyball" rather than proper rule based volleyball.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Syed1.

Syed1. BANNED

Ratings:
    +2 / 9,719 / -1
    Pakistan
    Ya Allah please make this happen.... imagine the soft power that is projected when a country is represented in the Fifa WC. We have a long way to go but as the Chinese say, the journey of a thousand miles start with a single step.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Path-Finder

Path-Finder ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +8 / 26,275 / -7
    Pakistan
    anything that can take people away from bleeding cricket would be most welcome. football should be given more focus along with other sports.

• Thanks Thanks x 1