SENIOR MODERATOR
Oct 15, 2015
Country
Pakistan
European Parliament takes notice of EU DisinfoLab report

1611697853294.png
Web Desk
10:24 PM | January 26, 2021

Following EU DIsinfoLab’s report exposing Indian propaganda against Pakistan, a committee of the European Parliament has taken notice of the revelations made by the EU-focused watchdog.

As per details, the first hearing was held in the European Union on Tuesday. The European Parliament’s Special Committee on Foreign Interference, including Disinformation (INGE), held a hearing in the European Parliament, Brussels, to discuss India’s belligerent activities and tactics targeting Pakistan.

Alexandre Alaphilippe, Executive Director of the EU DisinfoLab, and Managing Director Gary Machado briefed the committee on India’s disinformation campaign, the ‘Indian Chronicles.’ It is pertinent to mention here that in November, the non-governmental group, after carrying out investigation, in its initial findings had uncovered a nexus of 265 fake media outlets across 65 countries to influence the EU and the UN with content critical of Pakistan.

These platforms allegedly promote India’s geopolitical interests through republication of propaganda pieces and op-eds. EU DisinfoLab uncovered links between zombie companies, dormant media outlets, and legally non-existent organisations, lobbying the EU and also the UN by constantly targeting Pakistan.

Five students injured during stage protest against online exams
EU DisinfoLab’s investigation demonstrates how this network of think tanks, NGOs, and media outlets has already translated into a set of EU parliamentarians visiting the Kashmir valley on Oct. 30. The visit was perceived by some as a sign of validation for the government’s move. It came amidst international attention on curbs on free speech and human rights violations in the Kashmir valley.

Questionable news portals mentioned in the investigation include Times of Los Angeles, Times of Portugal, EP Today, Times of Geneva, New Delhi Times, New York Journal American, and Times of North Korea. Most websites had Twitter presence as well.

Dalit

ELITE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2012
Country
Pakistan
As long as the EU doesn't take concrete steps against Indian fake news factory these are just empty words. We have heard such empty words before. Let's see.

graphican

ELITE MEMBER
Jul 21, 2009
Country
Pakistan
A suggestion: We can persuade EU Parliament to publish the truth on Pakistan's behalf to compensate for the disinformation campaigns. Pakistan should actively persuade them and provide correct data and details which improve reception about Pakistan and reveal positivity we bring to the European Union. Leveraging this opportunity, Pakistan can benefit more ways on top of denying India its disinformation campaigns.

Last edited:

Dalit

ELITE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2012
Country
Pakistan
A suggestion: We can persuade EU Parliament to publish the truth on Pakistan's behalf to compensate for the disinformation campaigns. Pakistan should actively persuade them and provide correct data and details which improve our National Image better and reveal business, growth and positive opportunities we bring to the European Union. If acting right, Pakistan can improve its perception and gain tangible benefits from this God-given opportunity.
The problem with the EU is that they consider India a partner. The EU doesn't give a crap about Indian lies or human rights abuses against Kashmiris. They are not going to risk angering India even if another 100 disinformation campaigns came to light. The EU had ample time to react against India. They didn't. They won't act against Indian fake media lies. It is a miracle that EU Disinfolab even brought this to light. I am not aware of the exact role/position of EU Disinfolab within EU, but they must have some sort of freedom to research such stuff. Frankly I am astonished that EU Disinfolab was even allowed to publish such a report. Pakistan's expectations shouldn't be too high. This is lip service from the EU. I hope I am wrong, but I think I won't be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom