What's new

England’s tour of Pakistan in serious doubt after New Zealand tour cancelled due to security threat

Sep 26, 2018
9,312
17
21,622
Country
United Kingdom
Location
United Kingdom
New Zealand say they have taken the 'only responsible option' after a warning from their government was issued

England’s series to Pakistan could be called off this weekend over security fears after New Zealand’s tour to the country was abandoned this morning just hours before they were due to play in Rawalpindi.

A spokesman for the ECB confirmed a decision will be made over the next 48 hours on the tours by England men and women to Pakistan next month.

“We’re aware of New Zealand’s decision to pull out of the Pakistan tour due to a security alert. We are liaising with our security team who are on the ground in Pakistan to fully understand the situation. The ECB Board will then decide in the next 24-48 hours whether our planned tour should proceed,” said a spokesman.

England’s men are due to visit Pakistan for the first time since 2005 to play two Twenty20 internationals as a thank you for Pakistan touring England last summer during the height of the first covid wave. The England women are also scheduled to play six white ball games, staying on in Pakistan after the men have left for the UAE to play the World Twenty20.

The tours by England and New Zealand were given clearance last month by the boards’ security officer, Reg Dickason, who works with both teams, but the threat level has since changed with a warning issued by the New Zealand government this morning. The two teams were confined to their hotel and the tour was abandoned as fans gathered at the stadium in Rawalpindi for the start of the first ODI.

“Earlier today, the New Zealand cricket board informed us that they had been alerted to some security alert and have unilaterally decided to postpone the series,” said the Pakistan Cricket Board in a statement. “PCB and Govt of Pakistan made fool proof security arrangements for all visiting teams.

“We have assured the NZ cricket board of the same. The Prime Minister spoke personally to the Prime Minister of New Zealand and informed her that we have one of the best Intelligence systems in the world and that no security threat of any kind exists for the visiting team. The security officials with the NZ team have been satisfied with security arrangements made by the government of Pakistan throughout their stay here.

“PCB is willing to continue the scheduled matches. However, cricket lovers in Pakistan and around the world will be disappointed by this last minute withdrawal.

"The Pakistan Prime Minister spoke personally to the Prime Minister of New Zealand and informed her that we have one of the best intelligence systems in the world and that no security threat of any kind exists for the visiting team.”

New Zealand were due to play three ODIs in Rawalpindi and five Twenty20s in Lahore, their first trip to Pakistan for 18 years. Their previous tour in 2003 ended early when a bomb was detonated outside the team hotel in Karachi.

While the PCB and the Pakistan government insisted it was safe, New Zealand Cricket had no choice once its government upped its security levels and also said in a statement the decision had been made following advice from security experts “on the ground.”

David White, NZC chief executive, said: “I understand this will be a blow for the PCB, who have been wonderful hosts, but player safety is paramount and we believe this is the only responsible option.”

England are due to play two Twenty20s on consecutive evenings from October 13, but hopes the tour would go ahead have always looked fragile since the Taliban takeover of Afghanistan and fears of instability in the region.

 

HAIDER

ELITE MEMBER
May 21, 2006
25,329
11
25,658
Country
Pakistan
Location
United States
New Zealand say they have taken the 'only responsible option' after a warning from their government was issued

England’s series to Pakistan could be called off this weekend over security fears after New Zealand’s tour to the country was abandoned this morning just hours before they were due to play in Rawalpindi.

A spokesman for the ECB confirmed a decision will be made over the next 48 hours on the tours by England men and women to Pakistan next month.

“We’re aware of New Zealand’s decision to pull out of the Pakistan tour due to a security alert. We are liaising with our security team who are on the ground in Pakistan to fully understand the situation. The ECB Board will then decide in the next 24-48 hours whether our planned tour should proceed,” said a spokesman.

England’s men are due to visit Pakistan for the first time since 2005 to play two Twenty20 internationals as a thank you for Pakistan touring England last summer during the height of the first covid wave. The England women are also scheduled to play six white ball games, staying on in Pakistan after the men have left for the UAE to play the World Twenty20.

The tours by England and New Zealand were given clearance last month by the boards’ security officer, Reg Dickason, who works with both teams, but the threat level has since changed with a warning issued by the New Zealand government this morning. The two teams were confined to their hotel and the tour was abandoned as fans gathered at the stadium in Rawalpindi for the start of the first ODI.

“Earlier today, the New Zealand cricket board informed us that they had been alerted to some security alert and have unilaterally decided to postpone the series,” said the Pakistan Cricket Board in a statement. “PCB and Govt of Pakistan made fool proof security arrangements for all visiting teams.

“We have assured the NZ cricket board of the same. The Prime Minister spoke personally to the Prime Minister of New Zealand and informed her that we have one of the best Intelligence systems in the world and that no security threat of any kind exists for the visiting team. The security officials with the NZ team have been satisfied with security arrangements made by the government of Pakistan throughout their stay here.

“PCB is willing to continue the scheduled matches. However, cricket lovers in Pakistan and around the world will be disappointed by this last minute withdrawal.

"The Pakistan Prime Minister spoke personally to the Prime Minister of New Zealand and informed her that we have one of the best intelligence systems in the world and that no security threat of any kind exists for the visiting team.”

New Zealand were due to play three ODIs in Rawalpindi and five Twenty20s in Lahore, their first trip to Pakistan for 18 years. Their previous tour in 2003 ended early when a bomb was detonated outside the team hotel in Karachi.

While the PCB and the Pakistan government insisted it was safe, New Zealand Cricket had no choice once its government upped its security levels and also said in a statement the decision had been made following advice from security experts “on the ground.”

David White, NZC chief executive, said: “I understand this will be a blow for the PCB, who have been wonderful hosts, but player safety is paramount and we believe this is the only responsible option.”

England are due to play two Twenty20s on consecutive evenings from October 13, but hopes the tour would go ahead have always looked fragile since the Taliban takeover of Afghanistan and fears of instability in the region.

ask the ministry of interior right another "unknown threat " memo and kill that tour too... ... I doubt UK will cancel the tour. UK high commission already oppose NZ tour cancellation.
These memos are very common in MOI. Only to save their arses from further scrutiny from top officials...... just in case.
 

Menace2Society

SENIOR MEMBER
May 2, 2011
7,275
1
10,932
Country
Pakistan
Location
United Kingdom
I think they took one look at your Pindi stadium and thought they were in Afghanistan :lol:

I

What is this rubbish? This is like a village stadium.
 

alee92nawaz

FULL MEMBER
Sep 14, 2015
1,897
-3
1,120
Country
Pakistan
Location
Pakistan
New Zealand say they have taken the 'only responsible option' after a warning from their government was issued

England’s series to Pakistan could be called off this weekend over security fears after New Zealand’s tour to the country was abandoned this morning just hours before they were due to play in Rawalpindi.

A spokesman for the ECB confirmed a decision will be made over the next 48 hours on the tours by England men and women to Pakistan next month.

“We’re aware of New Zealand’s decision to pull out of the Pakistan tour due to a security alert. We are liaising with our security team who are on the ground in Pakistan to fully understand the situation. The ECB Board will then decide in the next 24-48 hours whether our planned tour should proceed,” said a spokesman.

England’s men are due to visit Pakistan for the first time since 2005 to play two Twenty20 internationals as a thank you for Pakistan touring England last summer during the height of the first covid wave. The England women are also scheduled to play six white ball games, staying on in Pakistan after the men have left for the UAE to play the World Twenty20.

The tours by England and New Zealand were given clearance last month by the boards’ security officer, Reg Dickason, who works with both teams, but the threat level has since changed with a warning issued by the New Zealand government this morning. The two teams were confined to their hotel and the tour was abandoned as fans gathered at the stadium in Rawalpindi for the start of the first ODI.

“Earlier today, the New Zealand cricket board informed us that they had been alerted to some security alert and have unilaterally decided to postpone the series,” said the Pakistan Cricket Board in a statement. “PCB and Govt of Pakistan made fool proof security arrangements for all visiting teams.

“We have assured the NZ cricket board of the same. The Prime Minister spoke personally to the Prime Minister of New Zealand and informed her that we have one of the best Intelligence systems in the world and that no security threat of any kind exists for the visiting team. The security officials with the NZ team have been satisfied with security arrangements made by the government of Pakistan throughout their stay here.

“PCB is willing to continue the scheduled matches. However, cricket lovers in Pakistan and around the world will be disappointed by this last minute withdrawal.

"The Pakistan Prime Minister spoke personally to the Prime Minister of New Zealand and informed her that we have one of the best intelligence systems in the world and that no security threat of any kind exists for the visiting team.”

New Zealand were due to play three ODIs in Rawalpindi and five Twenty20s in Lahore, their first trip to Pakistan for 18 years. Their previous tour in 2003 ended early when a bomb was detonated outside the team hotel in Karachi.

While the PCB and the Pakistan government insisted it was safe, New Zealand Cricket had no choice once its government upped its security levels and also said in a statement the decision had been made following advice from security experts “on the ground.”

David White, NZC chief executive, said: “I understand this will be a blow for the PCB, who have been wonderful hosts, but player safety is paramount and we believe this is the only responsible option.”

England are due to play two Twenty20s on consecutive evenings from October 13, but hopes the tour would go ahead have always looked fragile since the Taliban takeover of Afghanistan and fears of instability in the region.

It's de facto cancelled
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)


Top Bottom