• Monday, May 25, 2020

Did the river Saraswati once exist?

Discussion in 'Central & South Asia' started by DJ Crudept, Jul 30, 2015.

1. DJ Crudept

DJ Crudept BANNED

Ratings:
    +0 / 447 / -2
    India
    According to some Yahoo answers...
    NEARLY ten thousand years ago when mighty rivers started flowing down the Himalayan slopes, western Rajasthan was green and fertile. Great civilizations prospered in the cool amiable climate on riverbanks of northwestern India. The abundant waters of the rivers and copious rains provided ample sustenance for their farming and other activities. Some six thousand years later, Saraswati, one of the rivers of great splendor in this region, for reasons long enigmatic, dwindled and dried up. Several other rivers shifted their courses, some of their tributaries were ‘pirated’ by neighboring rivers or severed from their main courses. The greenery of Rajasthan was lost, replaced by an arid desert where hot winds piled up dunes of sand. The flourishing civilizations vanished one by one. By geological standards, these are small-scale events; for earth, in its long 4.5 billion years history, had witnessed many such changes, some of them even accompanied by wiping out of several living species. But those that occurred in northwest India took place within the span of early human history affecting the livelihood of flourishing civilizations and driving them out to other regions.

The nemesis that overtook northwestern India’s plenty and prosperity along with the disappearance of the river Saraswati, has been a subject engaging several minds over the last hundred and fifty years. However, convincing explanations about what caused all the changes were available only in the later half of the current century through data gathered by archaeologists, geologists, geophysicists, and climatologists using a variety of techniques. They have discussed and debated their views in symposia held from time to time, many of which have also appeared in several publications.

[​IMG]
    so basically we dont have any other proof of this river basin beside one fan made map and one religious book.

even lothal an IVC site and world oldest Port+city is located on the banks of Gujarati Saraswati River.

so i believe there was no Saraswati river basin beside Indus River Basin.

whats your views ? and i am a Gujarati from Saurastra region of Gujarat i live in north of Rojdi site. so dont call me pakistani troll please. :)

@Srinivas @Atanz @levina @mike2000 is back @

2. Hindustani78

Hindustani78 ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +5 / 12,650 / -41
    India
    Yes , it was existed

Excavation in search of Saraswati River

20-April-2015 17:31 IST

The Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) had already conducted excavations under Saraswati Project since 2003 at following sites:

(i) Adibadri, District-Yamuna Nagar, Haryana

(ii) Thanesar, District Kurukshetra, Haryana

(iii) Bhirana, District- Fatehbad, Haryana

(iv) Hansi, District- Hissar, Haryana

(v) Baror, District- Ganganagar ,Rajasthan

(vi) Tarkhanwala Dera, District- Ganganagar, Rajasthan

(vii) Chak 86, District- Ganganagar,Rajasthan

(viii) Karanpura,District- Hanumangarh Rajasthan

(ix) Junikaran, District- Kachchha,Gujarat

(x) Khirsara, District- Kachchha, Gujarat.

However, several studies including explorations and excavations have been carried out both by the Government and non-governmental organizations along the palaeochannel, represented today by the Ghaggar river in Haryana, Punjab, Rajasthan and Gujarat. Some researchers have ascribed this palaeochannel to the Saraswati river mentioned in ancient Indian literature.

The excavation work at the ancient mounds of Binjore, District Ganganagar, Rajasthan during the field season 2014-1015 is in progress.

An expenditure of Rs. 27.00 lakh has been incurred for excavation at the ancient mounds of Binjore, District Ganganager (Rajasthan) up to March 2015.

This information was given by the Union Minister of State for Culture (Independent Charge), Tourism (Independent Charge), and Civil Aviation, Dr. Mahesh Sharma in a written reply to an unstarred question to the Lok Sabha.

3. Levina

Levina BANNED

Ratings:
    +60 / 37,143 / -1
    India
    image.jpg

4. DJ Crudept

DJ Crudept BANNED

Ratings:
    +0 / 447 / -2
    India
    thank you for replying here. I have few questions for you. but its 3AM in Gujarat, I will Sam you later. zzZ

5. Levina

Levina BANNED

Ratings:
    +60 / 37,143 / -1
    India
    :tup: