• Sunday, March 24, 2019

Dhaka seeks Jakarta’s support to be Asean’s dialogue partner

Discussion in 'Bangladesh Defence Forum' started by The Ronin, Jan 29, 2018.

1. The Ronin

The Ronin FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0 / 2,360 / -0
    Bangladesh
    The visiting Indonesian president has encouraged Bangladesh for a more active engagement with Asean

Bangladesh has sought Indonesia’s support in favour of Bangladesh’s request for Sectoral Dialogue Partnership with Asean.

Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina reiterated her government’s keen interest to intensify trade, economic and regional peace and security partnerships with the Southeast Asian alliance nations and sought support to that end.

Indonesian President Joko Widodo welcomed Bangladesh’s desire for institutionalising relations with Asean and encouraged Bangladesh for a more active engagement with Asean, according to a joint statement issued on Sunday on his state visit.

According to the joint statement, both leaders stressed the need for enhancing air connectivity to promote people-to-people contact, tourism and trade.

They also agreed to work to further widen cooperation in the areas of agriculture, ICT, defence and tourism.

Recognising the threats arising out of terrorism, violent extremism and radicalisation on any religious or societal pretext, the leaders agreed to work together to counter all such challenges in both countries and beyond.

President Widodo appreciated the warm hospitality and courtesies extended to him and his delegation by the government and the people of Bangladesh during the visit.

http://www.dhakatribune.com/banglad...8/01/28/dhaka-jakarta-asean-dialogue-partner/

• Thanks Thanks x 7
  2. mb444

mb444 SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1 / 3,183 / -1
    United Kingdom
    BD needs to get into ASEAN by hook or crook.... as far as Rohingya situation is concerned Indonesia does not have much cards to play. BD does not need short term aid from them. But their assistance vis-a-vis ASEAN would be more beneficial in the long term.

GOB needs to pursue this as part of oft spoken look east policy.

• Thanks Thanks x 6
  3. idune

idune ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4 / 11,558 / -14
    Bangladesh
    Being part of ASEAN, Bangladesh initiated that as part of "look east" policy during last BNP govt tenure. Awami league in last 10 years stalled and killed all "look east" initiatives instead turned Bangladesh an indian subservient state. Only since Rohingya crisis many hukka hua generation realizing extent of damage awami league done and isolated box awami league put Bangladesh in.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. mb444

mb444 SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1 / 3,183 / -1
    United Kingdom

It’s not all lost. Happily it can be revived and should be done as a matter of priority.

5. idune

idune ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4 / 11,558 / -14
    Bangladesh
    10 years lost and Bangladesh had been made victim, that should NOT be lost. And what evidence you have that subservient regime that destroyed, has motivation and reason to walk back???

6. Homo Sapiens

Homo Sapiens SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +3 / 14,405 / -5
    Bangladesh
    Are you sure about that? Indonesia is the biggest country in the ASEAN as well as the biggest economy.Jakarta is the headquarter of ASEAN.It has a big influence over ASEAN decision making and it is considered the leader of ASEAN countries.burma as an integrated member of ASEAN will give much more weight to the decision of ASEAN than other world organization even the EU.I think, Indonesia can mobilize ASEAN for Rohingya cause and has an important role to play in it.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  7. mb444

mb444 SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1 / 3,183 / -1
    United Kingdom

Indonesia has not done anything of substance within the Asean for the rohingya to date and is unlikely to do anything. He is merely here for domestic political considerations vis-a-vis Muslim constituency. Malaysia atleast raised the topic within Asean.

Asean is useless in dealing with any substantive issue. They have taken no action in the face of genocide.... enough said. Let’s not hold out hope of anything constructive coming out of this group in this front.

BD is alone in the rohingya issue and sooner or later it will lead to war. Not much we can do about it given the monkeys barbarity and general lack of education and intelligence.

As such from my perspective use opportunities such as these to pursue long term BD economic interest of being part of ASEAN.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  8. Homo Sapiens

Ratings:
    +3 / 14,405 / -5
    Bangladesh
    I do agree with you in this point.Indonesia could have done more on Rohingya crisis. ASEAN was the best platform to put pressure on the burmese.And as the most influential member within the block, Indonesia has an important role to play in this regard.

9. Kambojaric

Kambojaric SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +8 / 6,820 / -0
    Pakistan
    ASEAN membership should be the target for Bangladesh no doubt.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Homo Sapiens

Ratings:
    +3 / 14,405 / -5
    Bangladesh
    They will never let Bangladesh to be part of ASEAN.At best they will make BD an ASEAN partner like they made India, China or Japan.They will maintain ASEAN strictly as South east Asian.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. mb444

mb444 SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1 / 3,183 / -1
    United Kingdom

Possible... but there is no harm in trying.... As BDs economy grows and surpasses every asean country barring Indonesia the advantage BD will bring to the group will override peoples strange preoccupation with arbitrary geographic identity.

• Thanks Thanks x 5
  12. mb444

mb444 SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1 / 3,183 / -1
    United Kingdom

I don’t have any evidence that BAL is pivoting away from India only position... my opinion comes from hope that look east policy will be pursued.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Centaur

Centaur FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0 / 1,333 / -0
    Bangladesh
    I just deleted my reply, because I don't want to throw myself in fire again .
    I am wishing you good luck mate. Waiting when you will be tagged as Indian Dalal .
    @mb444 , be aware this triple interrogative sign (???)
    Is the red alert ,I faced it before. Now perhaps you turn . :cheesy::rofl:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. mb444

mb444 SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +1 / 3,183 / -1
    United Kingdom

LOL...

As a people we are very passionate. Nothing wrong with that I guess. The political division in BD is reflected here in PDF.

I would urge all to respect other people’s view particularly when you don’t agree with them.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  15. Centaur

Centaur FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0 / 1,333 / -0
    Bangladesh
    Lol yes .
    Yes exactly . But he will not hear you I can bet , at least not so fast :)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018