What's new

China’s overseas graduates return in record numbers into already crowded domestic job market

Mista

Jun 9, 2016
Country
Singapore
Many countries are prioritizing their local graduates in this economic climate.

Foreign graduates are having a hard time in Singapore as well because the government is subsidizing 25%-80% of local graduates' salary and tightening foreign employment passes. Many foreign graduates will be forced to go back to their countries, especially if they can't pay the rent.

FairAndUnbiased

Nov 25, 2011
Country
China
You think I made joke?
I mean serious.
Petragon plans a $1 billion electronics plant. They want to relocate R&D from China to Vietnam.
Luxshare pays up to $600 per month for assembly workers. Engineers get higher pay certainly. Petragon will not pay less.
In total Petragon needs 30,000 workers.
It’s hard to find enough people in a tight market like Vietnam.
a basic social media job where you post on Weibo all day is 12k RMB per month = 2000 USD. from the article.

you can't afford Chinese workers.

Mista

Jun 9, 2016
Country
Singapore
“I returned to Guangzhou from the United States at the end of March, and started to work in a domestic cosmetics company in May. As a fresh graduate, I’m satisfied with the monthly salary about 12,000 yuan,” said Luke Lu, who recently graduated from a US university with a master’s degree in new media management and marketing.

“I tried to work in the United States for a couple of years, but the pandemic and poor Sino-US relations have made it almost impossible for Chinese graduates to find a job there this year.

“I do feel a bit of regret. I majored in new media management and learned a lot of professional knowledge abroad about Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google+, YouTube, which are not available in the domestic market.

“But the domestic market is big and a good place to start my career.”
He has a Master's and earn only 12K yuan in a first-tier Chinese city like Guangzhou, and he's satisfied?

beijingwalker

BANNED
Nov 4, 2011
Country
China
He has a Master's and earn only 12K yuan, and he's satisfied?
Master's is nothing now, there are more master's holders in China than most countries in population, besides, cost of living in China is much much lower than developed countries. You can times 2-3 of the purchasing power of that money at least.

Feng Leng

Aug 3, 2017
Country
China
International study is the dumbest idea that mankind has ever invented. Overseas graduates are going to find out the hard way the value of their labor is extremely low.

Mista

Jun 9, 2016
Country
Singapore
Master's is nothing now, there are more master's holders in China than most countries in population, besides, cost of living in China is much much lower than developed countries. You can times 2-3 of the purchasing power of that money at least.
I wouldn't say it's ‘nothing’. Those holding a Bachelor's make up only 6%+ of China's population above age of 6, and Master's + PhD make up 0.6%.

1600768881510.png

The rate presently is still much lower than the US above the age of 25, for example.

1600768259326.png

Even in Singapore after decades of being a developed country , Master's are still fairly rare. Our older generation grew up in a developing Singapore and our mean years of schooling is still low.

1600768421186.png

On cost of living, well, yes for China in general. But not for the 1st-tier Chinese cities. Especially for housing, but that guy's family probably own a home back in Guangzhou.

Last edited:

Viet

ELITE MEMBER
Jun 18, 2012
Country
Viet Nam
Just what the hell are you talking about, dude, come on.
I am a nice person.
I want to draw young high skilled but jobless chinese to Vietnam.
good to know: they are exempted by military service if they ever want to forever stay in Vietnam and apply for citizenship.

FairAndUnbiased

Nov 25, 2011
Country
China
I am a nice person.
I want to draw young high skilled but jobless chinese to Vietnam.
good to know: they are exempted by military service if they ever want to forever stay in Vietnam and apply for citizenship.
Do Americans want to move to Mexico and get Mexican citizenship?

casual

Jan 8, 2011
Country
China
Those in math, science, and engineering majors are fine. Those with liberal arts degrees should have reconsidered their degree choice. It's their own fault that they can't find jobs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom