What's new

China vows retaliation if US proceeds with Taiwan arms sale

DavidsSling

BANNED
Sep 30, 2019
Country
Israel
China has vowed to retaliate if the US proceeds with the sale of advanced weaponry to Taiwan worth more than a billion dollars.

The statement from China’s defense ministry gave no specifics, but the development marks a further deterioration in ties between Beijing and Washington that have hit their lowest ebb in decades.

The statement issued late Thursday night demanded the cancellation of the sale and an end to all interactions between the US and Taiwanese militaries in order to “avoid serious repercussions for relations between China and the US and their armed forces and peace and stability in the Taiwan Strait”.

1603439169219.png

A file photo of two UH-60 Black Hawk helicopters fly pass during the annual Han Kuang exercises at an air base in Taichung County, middle of Taiwan, Thursday, June 07, 2018. (AP/AAP)

Failure to do so would “compel the Chinese side to fight back resolutely,” the statement said.

The State Department on Wednesday announced it had greenlighted the sale of 135 precision land attack missiles, associated equipment and training to Taiwan to improve its defense capabilities.

The package is worth just over a billion US dollars, it said in a statement.

The missiles are made by Boeing.

China regards Taiwan as its own territory to be annexed by force if necessary and Washington maintains only unofficial relations with Taipei in deference to Beijing.

However, US law requires the government to ensure Taiwan can maintain a credible defense and recent years have seen an increase in both the quality and quantity of defensive arms sold to the island.

Those come as China has increased military activity around Taiwan in what it calls a deliberate attempt to force political concessions from the pro-independence administration of President Tsai Ing-wen.

1603439240728.png

Taiwan will receive 66 new American-made F-16 fighter jets in the biggest arms sale to the self-governing island in years. (Airman 1st Class Adrian Salazar/USAF)

The increase in Chinese incursions into Taiwanese airspace and military exercises seen as targeting US and Taiwanese assets add to Beijing's years-long campaign of exerting economic and diplomatic pressure on the island, which has left it with just 15 formal diplomatic allies.

In a separate statement issued late Thursday, the Chinese Cabinet's Taiwan Affairs Office demanded Tsai's Democratic People's Party end its “plotting" with the US to “refuse unification through arms."

“This can only seriously undermine peace and stability in the Taiwan Strait and bring down a terrible disaster on the Taiwanese people," the statement said.

FairAndUnbiased

Nov 25, 2011
Country
China

CAPRICORN-88

Aug 19, 2015
Country
Singapore
If I am USA I will heed the warning and works toward a more friendly and amicable postion.
It will bring serious and real consequences to US National Security for the furst time.

Remember the Cuban crisis.
It is will be more than Cuba alone.

USA has far too many enemies. Even her allies do not trust her.

khansaheeb

ELITE MEMBER
Dec 14, 2008
Country
Pakistan
China can just flatten Taipei and the rest of the Taiwan, what is it waiting for? There would be huge stock market crash around the world and a spike in gold prices. But if China calculates wrong it could end up into regime change in China. Big risks for all.

Oldman1

May 28, 2011
Country
United States
If I am USA I will heed the warning and works toward a more friendly and amicable postion.
It will bring serious and real consequences to US National Security for the furst time.

Remember the Cuban crisis.
It is will be more than Cuba alone.
USA has far too many enemies. Even her allies do not trust her.
What consequences? China needs to be more specific. Like a blockade or something similar? Because thats how it happened during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

CAPRICORN-88

Aug 19, 2015
Country
Singapore
What consequences? China needs to be more specific. Like a blockade or something similar? Because thats how it happened during the Cuban Missile Crisis.
A blockage is inevitable in a warlike situation.
It will be much more serious than that.
it will affects USA National Security seriously for the first time ever.
China may forego its NAM principle in the case of USA is my only hint to you.

Oldman1

May 28, 2011
Country
United States
A blockage is inevitable in a warlike situation.
It will be much more serious than that.
it will affects USA National Security seriously for the first time ever.
China may forego its NAM principle in the case of USA is my only hint to you.
Unless China is specific, the U.S. won't listen and you know that. Unless its economic retaliation like they did against South Korea over THAAD.

CAPRICORN-88

Aug 19, 2015
Country
Singapore
Unless China is specific, the U.S. won't listen and you know that. Unless its economic retaliation like they did against South Korea over THAAD.
I bet there are smart people inside the Pentagon who already knew the risk involved but current President is adamant and as usual reckless. He called it brinkmanship but I refer to its as stupidity.
Because there will be a trust deficit after that.
Putin is a better statesman as he understands it.

China is merely reminding USA not to push her towards those measures which will be intractable once she does it.

Tell you a story. Back in 2001 both Russia and China issued warning after warning to USA not to militarise space with its star wars program as it will starts an arm race.
the hubristic President called it a bluff as he assumed both China and Russia do not have the capabilities to build one.

So the Republican US President GW Bush ignored the warning and after some times, these warning suddebly stop.

Today China has a host of like space weapons, reusable space fighters, DF-21, DF-17 waveriders, etc. What can USA do? USA named China as a threat.
So in other words, China has no right to defend herself.

As I predicted back in 2019 based on logic USA will lose the trade war but the pro-Trump diehards disagreed and argued against me resorting to ad hominen.

So what is Trump doing today. He resort to dirty anti-WTO and anti-world trade standard to achieve his goal. WTO has ruled his tariff illegal.

But his retaliation still won't work as USA seriously needed real China experts and not the quacks he surround himself with to deal with China.
Cooperation as China advocate is the only option out.

Now USA is beginning to lose its coveted crown, the semiconductors industries war. :coffee:

China truly has many options that can seriously harmed USA National Security seriously but she would rather wait until after the result of Nov 3, 2020 Presidential re-election is out before she decides.
That is IMO.
As I says once applied it is intractable.
Trump can simply retracted Obamacare leaving 22 millions without medicare without blinking his eyes.
But that is not an Asian way. It is not brinkmanship but blinkmanship.
:cheers:

Last edited:

Oldman1

May 28, 2011
Country
United States
Tell you a story. Back in 2001 both Russia and China issued warning after warning to USA not to militarise space with its star wars program as it will starts an arm race.
the hubristic President called it a bluff as he assumed both China and Russia do not have the capabilities to build one.

So the Republican US President GW Bush ignored the warning and after some times, these warning suddebly stop.

Today China has a host of like space weapons, reusable space fighters, DF-21, DF-17 waveriders, etc. What can USA do? USA named China as a threat.
So in other words, China has no right to defend herself.

:cheers:
Russia warns it will see any incoming missile as nuclear

Russia shows willingness to include new nuke, hypersonic weapon in arms control pact

Reusable space fighters? Isn't that something like the X-37B that the U.S. is suing? DF-17 waveriders? The U.S. has been testing such technology. DF-21? U.S. tested an IRBM just after pulling out of the INF Treaty, destroying satellites? U.S. did that from a ship. So yeah this is what the U.S. can do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom