• Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Bangladeshi MP allegedly hired eight lookalikes to take her place in exams

Discussion in 'Bangladesh Defence Forum' started by Doomstar, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Doomstar

Doomstar FULL MEMBER

Ratings:
    +2 / 1,703 / -0
    Bangladesh
    Awami League’s Tamanna Nusrat is accused of paying impersonators in at least 13 tests

[​IMG]
    the scandal emerged after Nagorik TV entered a test hall and confronted one of the women posing as Tamanna Nusrat in a video. Photograph: Nagorik TV

A Bangladeshi politician has been expelled from university after allegedly hiring as many as eight lookalikes to take her place in exams.

Tamanna Nusrat, from the ruling Awami League party, is accused of paying the lookalikes to pretend to be her in at least 13 tests. The scandal emerged after the private broadcaster Nagorik TV entered a test hall and confronted one of the women posing as Nusrat, in a video that went viral.

Nusrat, who was elected to parliament last year, was studying for a bachelor of arts degree with the Bangladesh Open University (BOU).

“We expelled her because she has committed a crime. A crime is a crime,” said the BOU head, MA Mannan. “We have cancelled her enrolment. She will never be able to get admitted here again.”

A college official said: “The proxy students were protected by the MP’s musclemen when they sat for the tests. Everybody knew it but nobody uttered a word because she is from a very influential family.”

Nusrat could not be reached for comment.

Test fraud, cheating and leaking of question papers ahead of exams are common in Bangladesh, prompting authorities frequently to cancel results.

:lol:

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  2. war&peace

war&peace ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +27 / 59,140 / -9
    Pakistan
    Wow .... and she is still the member of parliament?
    BTW what is the minimum education required for members of parliament?

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  3. bluesky

bluesky SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +4 / 8,764 / -8
    Bangladesh
    Shame has no place in many persons.

4. Bilal9

Bilal9 ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +13 / 17,823 / -4
    Bangladesh
    It is not like Pakistan definitely. What is the minimum in Pakistan? A Master's degree minimum I think?

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  5. war&peace

war&peace ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +27 / 59,140 / -9
    Pakistan
    Bachelors is Minimum Requirement in Pakistan. And if she was caught doing this in Pakistan, she would be disqualified.

So it seems Bachelors in not required as she was doing it after being elected as the member

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  6. Bilal9

Bilal9 ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +13 / 17,823 / -4
    Bangladesh
    Honestly I was not trolling off topic. :-)

I had read some years ago that Pakistan had attempted a rule for MP's having minimum University degree, wasn't sure which? I thought it was commendable at the time because we didn't have this in Bangladesh.

What would I gain by bad-mouthing Pakistan? In a Pakistani forum - no less. :unsure:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. war&peace

war&peace ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +27 / 59,140 / -9
    Pakistan
    Oh my bad because instead of answering my question, you replied with a counter question so I thought he is trolling but that did not make me angry so I replied. I did not think that you bad mouthed Pakistan. We always entertain question and productive criticism.

If it was up to me, I would definitely make an MS degree with at least B-grade a must to become an MP in Pakistan but that's not the case. However, Bachelors is also a University degree because it is awarded by a university.
    Many people obtain degrees from low quality universities as well. However, many have been disqualified or barred from contesting election as they could not fulfil the minimum requirements. It is an evolutionary system so hopefully it will become better over time.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Nike

Nike ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21 / 16,518 / -0
    Indonesia
    I think someone no need higher education to enter a parliament as member. As long as he/she can be representative of their people and doing the jobs with all his/her strength is all enough.

9. UKBengali

UKBengali ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +9 / 15,846 / -2
    Bangladesh
    Lol.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. war&peace

war&peace ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +27 / 59,140 / -9
    Pakistan
    The job of member of legislative assembly is to promulgate laws and policies. If they are not able to understand the intricacies of law, how can they do their job?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Nike

Nike ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +21 / 16,518 / -0
    Indonesia
    They have team of experts to help them to know better of their jobs, this all the norm

12. Bilal9

Bilal9 ELITE MEMBER

Ratings:
    +13 / 17,823 / -4
    Bangladesh
    I would not discount a solid education (definitely university degree being a minimum) which is the PRIMARY qualifier for an elected representative of the people.

Electing uneducated people to power like the current US head of state is a bold example of what can go horribly wrong. Team of experts cannot make your decisions - you have to be educated enough to make decisions on behalf of your constituents.

Being an MP should not be about minting money by trading favors, it should be about serving your constituents.

Being a local uneducated henchman/strongman (who collect money by scaring and 'shaking down' business-people or doing quid-pro-quo favors with them) or being someone's father's brother's cousin's sister-in-law (nepotism) are not qualifications for being people's representatives.

You have the basic concepts wrong, go ask an university professor first. Being uneducated and being proud of it is hilarious....I can't believe I am explaining this.:rolleyes1:

This is the need of the hour in South Asia - governance must become much more professional and we need to raise the bar for educational qualifications.

In Sheikh Hasina's last cabinet - it was full of uneducated goonda party-hack idiots who could barely sign their own name. Only qualification was if they could shout 'Joy Bangla' and lobby on behalf of India.

At least in this cabinet - we have some technocrats who are halfway educated. This oddball airhead female idiot is a glaring exception it seems. I am certain she will be expelled from AL given how scandalous this issue has become and how much of a liability it is to AL now.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  13. Retired Troll

Retired Troll BANNED

Ratings:
    +19 / 36,890 / -11
    Pakistan
    Do all Bangladeshis look alike? That is just racist from the respected MP

14. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles SENIOR MEMBER

Ratings:
    +0 / 2,631 / -1
    Pakistan
    They look alike only if examiners are in your pocket
    The proxy students were protected by the MP’s musclemen when they sat for the tests. Everybody knew it but nobody uttered a word because she is from a very influential family.”

15. Retired Troll

Retired Troll BANNED

Ratings:
    +19 / 36,890 / -11
    Pakistan
    East Pakistan is not that different from West Pakistan it seems.